News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Slavery. The Bible and Quran.

Started by Mousetrap, August 03, 2018, 07:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 09:28:01 AM
You posted earlier that you were reading books you no longer had.  I just can't help laughing about the idea.
It is laughable in retrospect. I should have more clearly conveyed "had read".

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:21:36 AM
Yet Christ came with the truth.

1.  Prove Christ existed.

We can discuss what he said if you can do the above.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 09:30:05 AM
1.  Prove Christ existed.

We can discuss what he said if you can do the above.
You deny your own conscience, or that it can be without bias, or that it is of the Source?

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:29:13 AM
It is laughable in retrospect. I should have more clearly conveyed "had read".

Well, you did say "I'm still wondering why you are focusing on this?  Must one continually read in order to comprehend?".

Now you know why.  It made no sense as you posted it.  Now it does.  (Hurls confetti and glitter into the air in celebration of Pops finally understanding the illogic of what he said earlier).

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:32:36 AM
You deny your own conscience, or that it can be without bias, or that it is of the Source?

That makes no sense.  I am my only source and conscience.  I readily admit to bias based of facts.

So I ask again, prove your deity exists.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 09:35:33 AM
Well, you did say "I'm still wondering why you are focusing on this?  Must one continually read in order to comprehend?".

Now you know why.  It made no sense as you posted it.  Now it does.  (Hurls confetti and glitter into the air in celebration of Pops finally understanding the illogic of what he said earlier).
I caught it initially. Just seems exceptionally redundant and disingenuous to continue about it as if some big ole booboo.

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:38:21 AM
I caught it initially. Just seems exceptionally redundant and disingenuous to continue about it as if some big ole booboo.

Seeker of Accuracy...  Level 5.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 09:37:58 AM
That makes no sense.  I am my only source and conscience.  I readily admit to bias based of facts.

So I ask again, prove your deity exists.
How are you your own source?

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:50:19 AM

I am me.  Self-aware.  Self thoughtful.  Everything within me is "my own source".  If you want to get into reading the sports in the newspaper, though, that is entirely different.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:21:36 AM
Yet Christ came with the truth.

Jesus and your Christ are fiction.  And there is no 'the truth'. Jesus is man-made and 'the truth' is subjective.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 08:14:44 AM
(shrugs shoulders)

If it is to the point of murder then the truth will be made apparent through such an action.

We are not taught to murder in any core sacred text I have ever read.

Mercy is the common denominator as is the motive for such, at very least.

Mercy? What Christians call mercy, I call something else entirely.

God: "I made you imperfect, but I'm putting the blame on you for that. I'm going to punish you for the imperfections I gave you. But don't worry, there's a way out."

Human: "By doing my best to leave the world better than when I came into it?"

God: "Pffft! Fuck no. I just want you to kiss my ass for all of eternity. Then I'll forgive you and won't torture you forever and ever in a pit of fire."

Yeah, that's not mercy. What's the word for that? Bribery? Blackmail? I don't know, but it definitely isn't mercy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

It is called cruelty.  See Job, Ecclesiastes, Lamentations.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:50:19 AM

All individuals are mono-maniacs.  They tend toward atheism and sociopathy (though not all get there).  In ancient Greek, "idiotes" is the word for an individual.  Achilles as a mono-maniac ... easily killed by the later Greek phalanx.  No one-on-one duels except for idiots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 27, 2018, 09:32:36 AM

We are not individuals, even as individuals.  Man is a social animal.  And some say our conscious identity is the result of a committee of cooperating personalities.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 27, 2018, 11:24:46 AM
Jesus and your Christ are fiction.  And there is no 'the truth'. Jesus is man-made and 'the truth' is subjective.

Well, there MIGHT be truth somewhere, but it sure isn't in ancient superstitions about some unknown sky being. 

Let's say I was being REAL kind and allowing for the idea of a deity somewhere (don't get all upset, this is a thought experiment).  Suppose that being created us even.  Does any part of any theism represent what such a being would really be like?  Representing the worst of our nature?  Of course not.  It would be helpful, kind, and tolerant of our failures.  The best of our imaginings and more.  A combination of the best Boy/Girl Scout, your kindly grandmother, and a wise old neighbor who tosses the ball back over his fence even if you broke a window.  And even THAT is limited to our human understanding.

Never mind that such a being doesn't exist by any logic and is not necessary to the existence of the Universe...

One argument against all theisms is that their deities are so pathetically LIMITED.  The mere fact that all the theisms imagine a punishment being is enough to make them all idiotic.