Origins of the Universe. (Creation versus science. Do they contradict?)

Started by Mousetrap, July 06, 2018, 09:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 14, 2018, 01:36:06 AM
What does that make rain then...? On second thought, I don't want to know.

Zeus is taking a piss .. Zeus aka Ba'al .. the lord of many here ;-)  The Aristophanes version of Socrates was made to say about thunder ... Zeus had a bad meal, developed indigestion ;-))  Jesus stilling the storm on the Sea of Galilee ... that is Jesus being Ba'al a dying, rising Canaanite deity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 14, 2018, 02:15:43 AM
Oh Great and powerful Mods and Admins grant us with your power to send Trap to purgatory!!!

Alas, he has been a great disappointment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Reading the first two chapters of the bible is very instructive--especially if one approaches it with an open mind.  Chpt. 1 tells a different story than chpt. 2 about the creation of man.  That, alone, would tell anybody with an open, clear thinking mind that the rest of the bible is suspect, since  it contradicts itself from the very beginning.  Bible believers have tripped all over themselves trying to explain these very important contradictions and have failed totally; until and unless one closes one's mind to any of the facts and simply believe the bible is inerrant.  Thus, mousetrap's mind is totally closed to facts and even his name suggests that he is in a trap.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 14, 2018, 09:00:13 AM
Reading the first two chapters of the bible is very instructive--especially if one approaches it with an open mind.  Chpt. 1 tells a different story than chpt. 2 about the creation of man.  That, alone, would tell anybody with an open, clear thinking mind that the rest of the bible is suspect, since  it contradicts itself from the very beginning.  Bible believers have tripped all over themselves trying to explain these very important contradictions and have failed totally; until and unless one closes one's mind to any of the facts and simply believe the bible is inerrant.  Thus, mousetrap's mind is totally closed to facts and even his name suggests that he is in a trap.

Poetry anthologies are like that, even modern poetry.  Yes, interpret poetry as journalism if you must ;-)  In that sense, you and Mousetrap are actually on the same position, just looking opposite ways.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 14, 2018, 09:21:50 AM
implying you had high hopes?

Well, with irony.  My dialectic between cynicism and hope is an enigma even to me.  The first few posts I have hopes with any visitor ... but it often doesn't take very long for an agenda to emerge, or full on dementia.  Unlike these kinds of visitors, I can be different from the majority here, yet have reasonable POV for what I support.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 14, 2018, 09:17:02 AM
Poetry anthologies are like that, even modern poetry.  Yes, interpret poetry as journalism if you must ;-)  In that sense, you and Mousetrap are actually on the same position, just looking opposite ways.
I agree that poetry can be read with many different meanings; that's the function of poetry.  The bible I do not consider poetry; it is simply prose from very ancient peoples trying to make sense of their world.  The idioticy is trying to make it fit today's world.  The Prophet is poetry; that's why I return to it time for it is poetry that speaks to me.  The bible is mainly trash that is used in destructive ways.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 14, 2018, 10:28:42 AM
I agree that poetry can be read with many different meanings; that's the function of poetry.  The bible I do not consider poetry; it is simply prose from very ancient peoples trying to make sense of their world.  The idioticy is trying to make it fit today's world.  The Prophet is poetry; that's why I return to it time for it is poetry that speaks to me.  The bible is mainly trash that is used in destructive ways.

Philistine ... conventionally, someone with no sense of art.  I suppose you like the "Piss Christ" better?

Yes, Kahil Gibran is very good.  But you and I would be the minority to appreciate him here.  That and nobody tries to build a theocracy on it.

But then, if anarchism was the rule, you wouldn't have to worry about government tyranny, even secular tyranny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 14, 2018, 12:05:48 PM
Philistine ... conventionally, someone with no sense of art.
I have my own sense of art--don't care if anybody else likes what I think of as art.  Art and beauty are the same--each person has to define them in their own terms.  The same with wine--open that bottle of Thunderbird--if you like it it is sipping wine, if not it is rot-gut, not even suitable for cooking.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 14, 2018, 12:05:48 PM
if anarchism was the rule,

Hmmm.................how could anarchism be 'the rule' since anarchism has no rules.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 14, 2018, 12:39:43 PM
Hmmm.................how could anarchism be 'the rule' since anarchism has no rules.
As a rule, anarchism was the system that was mostly in operation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 14, 2018, 01:53:51 PM
As a rule, anarchism was the system that was mostly in operation.
As 'I' rule would most likely be the 'rule' for anarchism.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Draconic Aiur