Origins of the Universe. (Creation versus science. Do they contradict?)

Started by Mousetrap, July 06, 2018, 09:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

QuoteOrigins of the Universe. (Creation versus science. Do they contradict?)

Yes.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 06, 2018, 09:07:02 AM
I think it is a fact if I say that Atheists do not think that the Creation story in Genesis and Science can be reconciled.
The reason for this is that, if the Bible and Science can be reconciled, one would have to admit that the Author of the Bible transmitted this information to humankind living in the 20th and 21st centuries.
That's what they all say. Thing is, were the near-ignorant goat-hearders to even experience visions of how the universe, the earth, and life on it came about, they would not describe what happen in remotely the manner it was actually described in Genesis.

I hope you all agree that DR. Naik's summary is a great reflection of what one may find in error with the Bible.
Dr. Naik's description is only the beginning and most superficial of the scientific errors of the bible. It's nothing less than myth, the same as the world being made from the body of the frost giant Ymir after Odin and his fellow gods slew him. The entire notion is deeply flawed on all levels. Dr. Naik concentrates on those "best examples" of the deficiencies of the Biblical discriptions because other examples I could give reveal that the Quran is just as deficient as the Bible on them. To me, these are not the best examples of the inaccuracies of the christian creation myth.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Well, I will over the next few weeks do the following.

Yeah, about that.....I don't think that's going to happen. But hey......give it time......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Well, I will over the next few weeks do the following.

Quote from: aitm on July 07, 2018, 05:11:27 AM
Yeah, about that.....I don't think that's going to happen. But hey......give it time......

Mousetrap seems to have had a well developed plan in place long before he even arrived. 
We are a flock of ducks sitting on his pond of enlightenment waiting for the first rays of the eternal dawn.
He's a man with ambition.  Hopefully, it's just a temporary manic state.

Unbeliever

So, the stars were created after the Earth and sun, insects have four legs, the mustard seed is the smallest of seeds, pi equals 3, bats are birds, the Earth doesn't move, hares "chew the cud?

Why do scientists even waste their time when Christians already know everything?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 07, 2018, 01:45:06 PM
Why do scientists even waste their time when Christians already know everything?
They just do it to bother them.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 07, 2018, 01:45:06 PM
So, the stars were created after the Earth and sun, insects have four legs, the mustard seed is the smallest of seeds, pi equals 3, bats are birds, the Earth doesn't move, hares "chew the cud?

And the sky is water and 2/3rds of all the stars have already fell to earth......must be where the dino bones came from..
.oh.......and a giant dragon is buried in the earth that can gather another 1/3 of the stars in its tail.....I mean how can you NOT believe them

.i
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Of course, mousetrap gave away the store entirely in their first post.

The moment you have to interpret, the moment you go "what it really means is this..." you've surrendered any evidentiary value in the book because it's an admission that it doesn't actually say what it says.

And if you have to interpret it, well, we've all seen that you can make it say anything you want it to say.  Biblical (or Quranic) interpretation is not a process like deriving a mathematical theorem where one thing leads precisely and specifically to another.  It's a reflection of the funhouse mirror of the interpreter's own ideas of what they think it should say, what they want it to say.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: J.S. Bullion, Jr.Armies of Bible scholars and theologians have for centuries found respected employment devising artful explanations of the Bible not really meaning what it says.

Quote from: George Bernard ShawNo man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it means what he says.

Quote from: Bishop Augustine of HippoIt is a disgraceful and dangerous thing to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on topics non-Christians know from reason and experience.

If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him trying to support his foolish opinion from the Bible, how are they going to believe the Bible on the important matters of faith when they think the Bible is full of falsehoods on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason?

Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on us all when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of the Bible.
God Not Found

aitm

I forget the exact quote or who said it, but my favorite is something like this:
Christians speak with confident authority about things they have spent a lifetime knowing nothing about....or very similar

sasuke

Hello Mousetrap,

The word is "atheist", not "Atheist". Do not capitalize the first letter, just like (I assume that) you don't capitalize the first "t" in theist.

Mousetrap

Quote from: trdsf on July 06, 2018, 01:14:55 PM

You cannot have one without the other.  If you want to claim scientific "revelation" from the Bible or Quran, you have to accept it from every other source as well, and therefore it's useless as any sort of divine evidence.  If you want to dismiss all the other sources, the Bible and Quran can be dismissed for the exact same reasons.  And if you want to exempt the Bible and Quran, that's either cherrypicking or special pleading, take your choice.
Now why would you attempt to connect the Quran whith what I found in the Bible?
And who is cherrypicking?
I have not even shown you anything!
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 06, 2018, 01:24:07 PM
Well, if God created the universe then I guess cosmologists are just wasting their time, huh?
Why?
Do you have any idea what I am still going to show you?
Good Lord but atheists are bias!
What is this great myth that Atheists are openminded?
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.