The War of Competitive Outrage

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, May 29, 2018, 08:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Liberals Killed Roseanne. Conservatives Crushed the NFL Protests. Everybody Happy Now?

QuoteThe only thing that's different this time is this: social media turns up the volume on offensive statements, and provides a perfect platform to pillory the perpetrator into submission. The network executives at ABC had to watch the Twitter villagers reaching for their pitchforks in real time, and feel the pressure to respond.

But conservatives are already coming for people's livelihoods. Not even a week has passed since the NFL caved to pressure from conservative viewersâ€"as well as the president himselfâ€"and banned players from kneeling during the national anthem as a protest against police violence.

The right and left are determined to one-up each other on the outrage front.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 29, 2018, 08:41:24 PM
Liberals Killed Roseanne. Conservatives Crushed the NFL Protests. Everybody Happy Now?

The US needs to die already?  The wrong sides won in 1783 and 1865?  Do they have 4g wifi in the FEMA camps?

I always liked Roseanne, particularly how she sang the National Anthem ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I can't find a clip sadly, but I'll always remember a line from the show that stuck with me all this time.

Break, damn you, break.
Listen to me, David.
Rabbits and geese and goats are not people.
They don't sing and dance.
They're FOOD!

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

If Trump Tweeted what Roseanne did he would still have his job. It's good to be king.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 29, 2018, 09:11:21 PM
If Trump Tweeted what Roseanne did he would still have his job. It's good to be king.

No but it was perfectly OK to show a version of Trump's decapitated head, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 09:16:18 PM
No but it was perfectly OK to show a version of Trump's decapitated head, right?

Yes, it was. I'm not in favor of people getting fired for saying offensive things. I'm even less in favor of some people being able to say things with impunity while others are punished for lesser offenses. Life isn't fair though.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on May 29, 2018, 09:16:18 PM

Just the latest in an ever escalating rhetoric of the parties. Do you choose to not remember the images of Obama being hanged or was that one okay?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason Harvestdancer

Yes, people only remember the outrageous things the other side did.  They also excuse or forget the outrageous things of their own side.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 29, 2018, 09:19:48 PM
Yes, it was. I'm not in favor of people getting fired for saying offensive things. I'm even less in favor of some people being able to say things with impunity while others are punished for lesser offenses. Life isn't fair though.

Don't ask for someone to be punished, unless you want to take your licks too.  What goes around, comes around.  That is exactly the late Roman Republic escalation to mob violence that seems to be happening, which is the OP.  Reading a bio of Marcus Tullius Cicero ... and that seems appropriate to the age of political debauchery we have fallen into.  A return to the 60s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 29, 2018, 10:05:48 PM
Just the latest in an ever escalating rhetoric of the parties. Do you choose to not remember the images of Obama being hanged or was that one okay?

You assume I am a closet Republican.  I voted Democrat for years.  No, people should have been arrested for that because free speech doesn't mean you can yell "fire" in a theater.  Such things get you visits from the Secret Service.  I would be happy if the DNC and RNC were both jailed for incitement to riot.  Are you non-partisan?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on May 29, 2018, 08:41:24 PM
William Bennett from the Regan Administration was so out outraged by the fact that people weren't outraged that he wrote a book called the Death of Outrage as an attack on Bill Clinton, even when half of America was already outraged.  But apparently not enough for Bennett.  But everything is apparently now back on track.  Everyone is outraged again, and things are back to normal. 

Shiranu

At first I was torn on supporting this (because of the kneeling), but no... they really aren't remotely comparable and this is completely right.

One is some racist ass shit from someone with a history of saying racist ass shit. The other is protesting brutality against racial minorities.

Yes, they are both "free speech", but that doesn't mean they are equal speech.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 30, 2018, 05:21:13 AM
William Bennett from the Regan Administration was so out outraged by the fact that people weren't outraged that he wrote a book called the Death of Outrage as an attack on Bill Clinton, even when half of America was already outraged.  But apparently not enough for Bennett.  But everything is apparently now back on track.  Everyone is outraged again, and things are back to normal.

Bennet was part of the "1960s were totally wrong" crowd.  I have to say I am sympathetic to that, but not just to Left insanity, but the Right insanity that enflamed the fire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Shiranu on May 30, 2018, 05:31:16 AM
At first I was torn on supporting this (because of the kneeling), but no... they really aren't remotely comparable and this is completely right.

One is some racist ass shit from someone with a history of saying racist ass shit. The other is protesting brutality against racial minorities.

Yes, they are both "free speech", but that doesn't mean they are equal speech.

The NFL and ABC are both private entities and if you work for them they have the right disassociate with you if you say shit they don't like. In that it's the same.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.