8 Killed in Houston High School Shooting

Started by Shiranu, May 18, 2018, 11:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 24, 2018, 07:38:24 AM
And third off, you don't pass laws, restricting peoples freedom, on the basis that individuals are hurting themselves with that freedom. Using that reasoning all drugs and all junk food should be illegal. Fuck that. Liberty of the individual above all - THAT is what being a liberal is about. That means people have the freedom to hurt themselves.
Really? We passed laws requiring people be tested before they can drive a car.

And with great liberty comes great responsibility. Gunners are having a problem with that. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24054955
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 06:26:57 AM
Ah, the "we can't fix everything immediately, so why try fixing anything at all" school of thought. If dead kids could talk they would object.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/

With omniscience, the victims should have killed the shooter first.  Minority Report ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 24, 2018, 07:22:03 AM
Perfect reason to enact gun control then, since statistics show access to a gun makes one significantly more likely to commit suicide, and to do so successfully.

Being male means more likely to use a gun, and be successful at suicide.  Women tend to use pills, and be less successful (they aren't violent enough)

So ban pills?  Ban plastic sacks?  Or maybe we have a mental health crisis (which will be hard for politics to solve).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 07:40:51 AM

And with great liberty comes great responsibility. Gunners are having a problem with that. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24054955

People should be licensed by #The Resistance before being allowed to post on the Internet ;-)  You might be one of Putin's minions of election disruption.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Baruch on May 24, 2018, 07:45:24 AM
Being male means more likely to use a gun, and be successful at suicide.  Women tend to use pills, and be less successful (they aren't violent enough)

So ban pills?  Ban plastic sacks?  Or maybe we have a mental health crisis (which will be hard for politics to solve).

Or ban males?

Progressives are retarded. They never learned the golden rule that correlation does not equal causation. If you eliminate all other correlating factors, then every remaining one becomes increasingly likely the causative factor. But this isn't what they do. They just pick the factor the best suits their narrative without reasoning why and think they are actually interpreting data. It'd be hilarious if it didn't create rhetoric capable of convincing laymen.

Gawdzilla Sama

Civil discourse is out the window, as usual.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Nothing wrong with calling people retards, so long as you provide a heaping spoonful of argument before hand.

Edit:

Here is the 'PC' version of my previous post:

Correlation does not equal causation. If you eliminate all other correlating factors, then every remaining one becomes increasingly likely the causative factor. But this isn't what 'progressives' do. They just pick the factor the best suits their narrative without reasoning why and think they are actually interpreting data. It'd be hilarious if it didn't create rhetoric capable of convincing laymen.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 24, 2018, 08:09:14 AM
Nothing wrong with calling people retards, so long as you provide a heaping spoonful of argument before hand.
That's an argument a retard would use.
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 08:09:51 AM
That's an argument a retard would use.
In fact it's not an argument at all. I'll agree that I'm a miserable toxic shithead but retarded I am not.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gilgamesh on May 24, 2018, 08:11:41 AM
In fact it's not an argument at all. I'll agree that I'm a miserable toxic shithead but retarded I am not.
You're very clever, in your own mind. Clean that shit up and you might be worth talking to.
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 07:40:51 AM

Regulating something that can kill others can be good, depending on the specific regulation.

It's why both motorvehicles and guns are already regulated.

Your post is irrelevant, then, because shiranu was contending that guns used on the self was reason itself to regulate/ban them. If someone wants to hurt themselves, or do something that has the possibility of hurting themselves (and not others) it is necessarily tyrannical for the government to restrict freedoms universally to stop those individuals from doing so. At least it is if you are looking at it from a liberal perspective.

Gawdzilla Sama

Fix nothing until everything is fixed policy. Got it.
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 08:15:06 AM
You're very clever, in your own mind. Clean that shit up and you might be worth talking to.
This reads like an intentional example of huge ego. You are supposing that one should change themselves to your liking on the basis that if they do their worth as an individual will rise to the point of being worthy of interaction.

See if you examined what it is you were actually saying when you expressed yourself you'd find that you say a lot of fucked up things, too. But you won't - and probably can't - analyse things this way.

Me, personally; I am just blatantly and intentionally a conduit for nastiness. I'm not this way for real. And I'm also not this way but pretending to be otherwise, like you asshats :)

I hate to make posts like this, because I live by the proverb; "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." But sometimes these posts are useful, because helping people see the internal mechanisms by which they manufacture their follies in reason renders them more open to your rhetoric, thereafter, concerning the actual topic.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 24, 2018, 08:24:04 AM
Fix nothing until everything is fixed policy. Got it.

The sarcastic paraphrase is the weakest tool in an idiots box.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers