News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ever Been a Thread About This Guy?

Started by Sleeper, June 18, 2013, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeper

Sye Ten Bruggencate?

For those who don't know, his signature move is called the "Nuh-Uh, You Are!" He likes to set standards for knowledge that we don't need in the real world by asking someone if they could be wrong about what they claim to know. When they admit that it's possible, he likes to assert that they've "given up knowledge," and we can then dismiss whatever they say from then on, because they don't know it for certain. Inevitably, any debate or discussion involving him devolves into him continuously asking, "How do you know that?" or "Is it absolutely true that X?" (X = whatever the opponent has claimed)

The argument is uniquely Christian - it creates a problem we don't actually have (you're a sinner who needs salvation/you need absolute certainty to know things) and offers a solution we don't actually need (Jesus came to save you from your sins/God is our standard of knowledge). It's a dumbed-down version of Van Tilian presuppositionalism, and it's enough to make anyone who loves rational discussion pull their hair out.

Dan Courtney and FSX23 have handled him pretty well in debates, but I think any opponent of his would do well to simply slip in under him and pick apart the reliability, the morality, the history, and the likelihood of the God character of the Bible and leave him without a foundation for his knowledge. I haven't seen anyone do that yet, but even so he would just say, "How do you know that?"

Here's him being being a baby and storming off stage at "The Place":

[youtube:fmq4pkyd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfyIvF4kUO4[/youtube:fmq4pkyd]
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Farroc

Yes, I've been a thread about this guy. I've been a thread about this guy plenty of times.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Sleeper

I think some people have been a whole sweater about him.

Farroc

I was once an entire tuxedo about this guy.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Solitary

Language is a tool that can be used by linguist to confuse any issue because words have multiple meanings and unclear meanings. This has always been a problem in philosophy and logic. That is the very reason science uses the language of mathematics which has avoided this fairly well, but not completely. What do we mean by freewill, soul, God, religion, or even solid? Solids are mostly empty space. This sentence is a lie. If its a lie its true, but if its true its a lie. Which one is correct?  :rolleyes:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

caseagainstfaith

There certainly have been threads about Presuppositionalism.  About Sye specifically, I don't know.  If you haven't seen KnownNoMore's response series, it is a must.  Check out his YouTube channel.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Jason78

QuoteWhat is your standard for truth.

That would have to be reality wouldn't it?  Anything that does not agree with reality is untrue, as reality is that against which we test truth.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Smartmarzipan

What a smug fuck.

I don't remember having a thread about this specific guy before, but his type is certainly familiar.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Plu

Yeah, he's a good troll :)

His primary ability seems to be pissing people off by acting like a 4-year old.

Solitary

[-X Wrong! The bible is the standard of truth, it tells you that in the bible written from God's word. Reality is an illusion created by Lucifer to deceive us from the truth. Atheist are so stupid.  :shock:   :rollin:   :twisted:  He! He!  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

If anyone came at me with this crap, I'd feed them their own nonsense.

Quote from: "Solitary"[-X Wrong! The bible is the standard of truth
How do you know that?

Quote, it tells you that in the bible written from God's word.
How do you know that what it tells you is true?

QuoteReality is an illusion
How do you know that?

After a few dozen go-arounds of that (I'd respond the same way to any positive assertion they made), they'd show their true colors.  I have almost infinite patience when I'm deliberately being an ass.  Most people don't.  (Because I really don't care what the outcome of the discussion is - they have a horse in the race.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Sleeper

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"...KnownNoMore's response series...
Really good stuff, though I had to watch it a couple times to completely get it all. Pretty thorough.