A recent review of how fundamental physics as turned as dismal as economics ...

Started by Baruch, March 24, 2018, 10:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/why-string-theory-is-still-not-even-wrong/

Dr Woit I have followed for years now.  I appreciate educated skeptics.  He has some not so nice things to say about Dr Ellis and others, who have over-invested in the string theory hype ... for selfish reasons.  I see it as modern physics has matured into the new Aristotelian Scholasticism.  Epicycles upon epicycles to justify a hard to escape idea fixe' like "circles are the perfect shape" ... is how the vacuum is now being modeled by string theorists (as I recently mentioned).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

My understanding is that the Standard Model (which is well-confirmed) is still king â€" if you want to predict some phenomenon to any reasonable degree of veracity, the Standard Model is your go-to. String Theory is the current hopeful favorite for the next level of understanding (particularly as you can't make a string theory without having gravitation drop out of it without prompting), but it is still just a hopeful, and this will always be the case until someone manages to get it to kick out actual, observable predictions.

Oh well, if nothing else, some interesting mathematics will come out of it.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on March 25, 2018, 06:59:59 PM
My understanding is that the Standard Model (which is well-confirmed) is still king â€" if you want to predict some phenomenon to any reasonable degree of veracity, the Standard Model is your go-to. String Theory is the current hopeful favorite for the next level of understanding (particularly as you can't make a string theory without having gravitation drop out of it without prompting), but it is still just a hopeful, and this will always be the case until someone manages to get it to kick out actual, observable predictions.

Oh well, if nothing else, some interesting mathematics will come out of it.

You really need to just start ignoring Baruch.  He doesn't deal in facts, he deals in influencing people by any means possible.  It took me a year to understand that and I would like to save you the trouble.  And he may not even understand that about himself.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 25, 2018, 09:06:33 PM
You really need to just start ignoring Baruch.  He doesn't deal in facts, he deals in influencing people by any means possible.  It took me a year to understand that and I would like to save you the trouble.  And he may not even understand that about himself.

You aren't my shrink either ;-)  Are you so lonely ... that you need people here to agree with you?  I enjoy that they "don't" agree with me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.