News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rush Limbaugh: Did you see the Big Bang?

Started by Hydra009, March 17, 2018, 12:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 25, 2018, 05:35:45 PM
Quantum Mechanics.
I know what QM means, I was just curious about the mis-phrasing of his sentence.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on March 25, 2018, 11:52:44 AM
OK, tell us about your present job as a research scientist, please.  On the other hand, you might become a research scientist some day.  This isn't about your abilities, it is about unexamined assumptions, and self-promotion.
This is hilarious coming from you, who has claimed to have had a career as an engineer working (even tangentially) for the military, and waving it about here as if it meant anything. You also outline above exactly why I don't believe you when you claim that. Even if you were to reveal a name, you could have simply picked one out of some book of engineers. Even if I contacted this person and they say that they don't know what I'm talking about, and say it here, you can simply deny it. Furthermore, I don't really have that much trust in you that I would feel safe in exposing myself on the chance you are on the level. Thus, any names or details (such as current projects) are quite useless because you can say anything and nobody would be able to verify it.

As such, the only competence we can credit you with is that which you demonstrate here. Now, I've demonstrated my intellectual chops in the past on this board, and I don't feel the need to justify myself to you. You, on the other hand, have to my knowledge demonstrated no understanding of engineering or physics beyond that of high-school level. Now, you might not feel the need to justify that you know what you're talking about to me, and that's fine and dandy, but don't expect me to take you seriously unless and until you get around to demonstrating that you know what you're talking about.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Draconic Aiur

Unbeliever

I'm surprised Limbaugh doesn't have a cabinet position yet. Maybe he'll be the next WH press secretary, once SH Sanders is gone.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 25, 2018, 07:13:06 PM
I'm surprised Limbaugh doesn't have a cabinet position yet. Maybe he'll be the next WH press secretary, once SH Sanders is gone.

Limbaugh should be the new Chief of Staff.  He already controls Trump's access to information, so he might as well do it formally.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on March 25, 2018, 06:36:50 PM
This is hilarious coming from you, who has claimed to have had a career as an engineer working (even tangentially) for the military, and waving it about here as if it meant anything. You also outline above exactly why I don't believe you when you claim that. Even if you were to reveal a name, you could have simply picked one out of some book of engineers. Even if I contacted this person and they say that they don't know what I'm talking about, and say it here, you can simply deny it. Furthermore, I don't really have that much trust in you that I would feel safe in exposing myself on the chance you are on the level. Thus, any names or details (such as current projects) are quite useless because you can say anything and nobody would be able to verify it.

As such, the only competence we can credit you with is that which you demonstrate here. Now, I've demonstrated my intellectual chops in the past on this board, and I don't feel the need to justify myself to you. You, on the other hand, have to my knowledge demonstrated no understanding of engineering or physics beyond that of high-school level. Now, you might not feel the need to justify that you know what you're talking about to me, and that's fine and dandy, but don't expect me to take you seriously unless and until you get around to demonstrating that you know what you're talking about.

What chops?  Pork chops?  Bwahah back at you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 25, 2018, 05:48:13 PM
I know what QM means, I was just curious about the mis-phrasing of his sentence.

So now you are a grammar Nazi?  Excuse me from awkwardly quoting Feynman.  Get the original quote if you like.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've seen the original quote many times, that's how I knew the double negative wasn't correct. If you're going to quote someone, at least try to get it right, otherwise it's hard to understand it.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 26, 2018, 01:09:32 PM
I've seen the original quote many times, that's how I knew the double negative wasn't correct. If you're going to quote someone, at least try to get it right, otherwise it's hard to understand it.

Excuse me .. I am usually pressed for time.  Please see my social secretary ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on March 25, 2018, 11:52:44 AM
OK, tell us about your present job as a research scientist, please.  On the other hand, you might become a research scientist some day.  This isn't about your abilities, it is about unexamined assumptions, and self-promotion.

I'm not a research scientist of any kind.   I have at best, a passing interest in physics.   This Rush fellow could attend a course on physics and learn the exact same things as I do and witness and perform the same experiments.

You seem to regard science as some kind of dodge... or hustle.

But the day some guy publishes a paper that says P = NP I will be all over that. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

Unless you are fluent in Baruchistani it's best to just sail on by.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on March 26, 2018, 05:19:35 PM
I'm not a research scientist of any kind.   I have at best, a passing interest in physics.   This Rush fellow could attend a course on physics and learn the exact same things as I do and witness and perform the same experiments.

You seem to regard science as some kind of dodge... or hustle.

But the day some guy publishes a paper that says P = NP I will be all over that.

Human beings, they are all hustlers, or they die.  P = NP would be a good hustle, but very dry material.  As it is, people think that quantum computing will solve male pattern baldness and the common cold.  You have to claim that shit, or you don't get grant money.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch is slightly spinning more and more out of control and logic. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 27, 2018, 12:38:51 AM

So you support some of the grants (usually government money) that goes out for some pretty inane research?  Were you an experiment victim, where a PhD wanted to find out if hitting you on the head with a hammer would do damage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize

Grifting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: Cavebear on March 27, 2018, 12:38:51 AM

Slightly?   More?  :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato