News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why Marvel Will Never Win An Oscar

Started by SGOS, March 13, 2018, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 02:10:32 PM
Well, yeah. it WAS "puny god".    But he wasn't too kind to Thor either, LOL!
He was a near-mindless brute for most of his history.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 02:43:35 PM
He was a near-mindless brute for most of his history.

Indeed, he was, "for most of his history".  But he starred out rational. I recall the early days when he explained his actions to his sidekick (the kid he saved from the gamma ray bomb) and former girlfriend talking sensibly and just wanting to be left alone in his misery at the change.  Well, at least they kept that (alone) part.  The Hulk was symbolic of the nuclear Cold War; random destuctive anger, but not irrationality.  He changed of course, according to the times.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 02:42:42 PM
I just lol'd.
Pretty much exactly what I expected.

But if we can overlook the "comics are icky!" bias for just a second, there's a wealth of extremely entertaining stories out there expressed with aesthetic choices that are fascinating in their own right.  It's such a shame that this stuff has to be packaged as blockbuster movies to rouse your attention.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2018, 02:56:02 PM

But if we can overlook the "comics are icky!" bias for just a second, there's a wealth of extremely entertaining stories out there expressed with aesthetic choices that are fascinating in their own right.  It's such a shame that this stuff has to be packaged as blockbuster movies to rouse your attention.

Indeed, the Marvel characters are as suitable to morality plays as the Greek and Norse gods.  Full of angst, weakness and power.  I am finding the Thor series one of the best of the Marvel movie series.  Thor is impressively manipulatable literarily.  I thought it would be Spiderman, but they have done Thor better.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2018, 02:56:02 PM

They don't have to be packaged as anything, I can ignore them right where they lay.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 03:03:45 PM
They don't have to be packaged as anything, I can ignore them right where they lay.

You might be missing out on something.  But then there are movie genres I don't like myself.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 03:07:21 PM
You might be missing out on something.  But then there are movie genres I don't like myself.
It's fun to push the "comic book" button on graphic novel fans.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 03:20:39 PM
It's fun to push the "comic book" button on graphic novel fans.

Well, actually, I'm not a graphics novel fan.  When they started to cost the same as books, I dropped out.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 03:23:45 PM
Well, actually, I'm not a graphics novel fan.  When they started to cost the same as books, I dropped out.
I quit reading comic books when I found Heinlein, c. 1963.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 03:50:39 PM
I quit reading comic books when I found Heinlein, c. 1963.

Excellent choice!  I  did three.  Comics at the drugstore, used Ace Doubles at the paperback store (2 for a quarter if I promised to give them back for resale, and Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke at the library.  The librarian special-ordered them for me as I had gone though all the "young adult" fiction by 11.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 03:58:11 PM
Excellent choice!  I  did three.  Comics at the drugstore, used Ace Doubles at the paperback store (2 for a quarter if I promised to give them back for resale, and Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke at the library.  The librarian special-ordered them for me as I had gone though all the "young adult" fiction by 11.
I went straight to the adult section when we moved to that town, didn't know there was a Juvie section until I check the card catalog for more RAH.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2018, 04:11:24 PM
I went straight to the adult section when we moved to that town, didn't know there was a Juvie section until I check the card catalog for more RAH.

I know what you mean, but I was forced to go through the "young adult" section first.  I had to prove I'd read the Oz books, Journey to the Mushroom Planet and a few others that thankfully escape me now. 

Unbeliever

I really enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time when I was much younger. I read it again not long ago, and it was still pretty good. I never did get around to the sequels, though, for some reason.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 15, 2018, 05:29:38 PM
I really enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time when I was much younger. I read it again not long ago, and it was still pretty good. I never did get around to the sequels, though, for some reason.

ell, how many good wrinkle can there be?,  LOL!  I sufferred through the Redwall books...  After the second story, they were all repeats.  Same story, diiferent names.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 05:25:26 PM
I know what you mean, but I was forced to go through the "young adult" section first.  I had to prove I'd read the Oz books, Journey to the Mushroom Planet and a few others that thankfully escape me now. 
I read half of "Tunnel in the Sky" sitting on a sofa in the Adult Area.
PZ Myers