The illiberalism of liberalism ...

Started by Baruch, February 27, 2018, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I like that guy.  I like the interviewer.  She asked hard questions.  He didn't always answer them to my satisfaction, but he talks so fast, I'd like to slow him down so I could assimilate what may have been data to support some of his points.  He does make credible arguments about WHY my perspective about today's world may differ from his reality, but how well he supported them, I'm not sure.  He just talks faster than I can follow.

I'm reading Chesapeake right now, and getting bogged down in reading, but I bought the book in hard cover and promised myself I would read it.  Most of the time I like Michener, but sometimes he does this to me.  Maybe it's my frame of mind during the month.  But maybe, I'll read some Pinker when I'm done with Chesapeake.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 08, 2018, 11:08:34 AM
Here is a better summary than I can provide.

https://youtu.be/2JVcyGq7gWc

Nope, if YOU can't put it into words, I don't care.  I'm not here to debate videos of experts.  Say it understanding it well enough to say yourself or it doesn't matter here to me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Cavebear on March 08, 2018, 12:00:27 PM
Nope, if YOU can't put it into words, I don't care.  I'm not here to debate videos of experts.  Say it understanding it well enough to say yourself or it doesn't matter here to me.

I wasn't posting to argue any point or to debate but to indicate what the book was about and I thought the video did a better job. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 08, 2018, 12:41:12 PM
I wasn't posting to argue any point or to debate but to indicate what the book was about and I thought the video did a better job. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I think it matters what you can say in your own words.  Just this evening, on another thread, I was trying to summarize an argument by Michael Shermer, and did a bad job of it, so I deleted the entire post after 30 minutes efforts.  I couldn't quite explain the argument myself properly, in my own words.  So I deleted the whole thing. 

That's why I don't respect videotaped or whole-quoted" arguments.  And I'm not aiming that at you.    Note that I previously said "And to be honest, that has happened to me too.  No blame, just saying..."
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!