Does the media love mass shooting?

Started by Coveny, February 23, 2018, 06:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coveny

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 25, 2018, 01:19:25 PM
You clearly have this all figured out, so anything other than agreeing with you would be a waste of my time.

And yet you didn't agree with me and still made your snarky response...

If you can't bring forth a good argument to defend your position it's cool man, but don't act like it's my problem. :)
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Coveny

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 25, 2018, 01:33:59 PM
Access to lethal means is a major factor in completed suicides. Imagine having a suicide pill in your medicine cabinet or a button hidden in your closet that would instantly end your life whenever you were ready to give up. That is what a gun is.

Agreed. Research does support that position, BUT the factors that drive someone to suicide... overlap with the ones that drive people to murder in some instances.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Coveny

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 01:41:29 PM
I think you have it a bit wrong.  School shootings get reported because they are horrible effects of our gun culture and because they are happening to often. 

So that Gun-lovers can shoot AR-15s in sport".  What is more valuable?  Children or sport?

Cars kill 30 thousand people a day. What's more valuable human lives or a car?
Ladders kill 100s of people a day. What's more valuable human life or a ladder?

Stops working when you apply it to anything you want doesn't it? (well except pot because pot doesn't kill anyone, but it's still illegal and that makes sense somehow...)

Cavebear

Quote from: Coveny on February 25, 2018, 12:59:03 PM
Thanks.

Just to qualify that I wouldn't say AITM "vouches for me", just that I did not break the forum rules.

And I see the difference.  My apologies AITM...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Coveny on February 25, 2018, 02:39:19 PM

Stops working when you apply it to anything you want doesn't it? (well except pot because pot doesn't kill anyone, but it's still illegal and that makes sense somehow...)

Cars and guns both operate as intended.  But the purpose of a car is transportation while the purpose of an Ar-15 is to mass-kill.  A slight difference.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Coveny on February 25, 2018, 02:39:19 PM

We need cars to get to work. We need ladders to reach high places. We need automatic machines guns with large magazines to...?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

I wondered what "bump stocks" were, having not heard of them, and I was totally dumbfounded to see what they can do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQcE6CW91UU

How can these things possibly be legal!?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Coveny

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 02:55:21 PM
Cars and guns both operate as intended.  But the purpose of a car is transportation while the purpose of an Ar-15 is to mass-kill.  A slight difference.

I had his semi-automatic 22 (not as high a power but semi-auto and very close to the same grain) for years when I was growing up that purpose was mass-kill, its purpose was hunting, and providing food. It did a fine job at it. I've also used a .306 which has similar power for hunting deer, and again no mass-kill purpose, it was a bolt action though I would have loved a semi-automatic instead as it just makes life easier when you are hunting. I get that guns scare people who don't know how to use them. But guns have a purpose in our survival, and just like cars they can cause harm and death to humans, AND we could live without them both. The comparison is valid, and the only difference is that you don't like guns but you like cars, so rather than addressing the one that kills 30k and injuries millions a year, you'd rather address the one that kills 8k and injuries thousands a year. Just own it.

Coveny

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 25, 2018, 03:21:03 PM
We need cars to get to work. We need ladders to reach high places. We need automatic machines guns with large magazines to...?

Hunt. Growing up everyone I knew provided food on their table from hunting. Is eating important to you?

PS no one has machine guns, full automatics have been banned for years. Also magazines sizes are already regulated.

PSS this isn't the topic, the topic is about the reasons people murder, and the role mainstream media plays in that

Mike Cl

Quote from: Coveny on February 25, 2018, 05:55:43 PM
I had his semi-automatic 22 (not as high a power but semi-auto and very close to the same grain) for years when I was growing up that purpose was mass-kill, its purpose was hunting, and providing food. It did a fine job at it. I've also used a .306 which has similar power for hunting deer, and again no mass-kill purpose, it was a bolt action though I would have loved a semi-automatic instead as it just makes life easier when you are hunting. I get that guns scare people who don't know how to use them. But guns have a purpose in our survival, and just like cars they can cause harm and death to humans, AND we could live without them both. The comparison is valid, and the only difference is that you don't like guns but you like cars, so rather than addressing the one that kills 30k and injuries millions a year, you'd rather address the one that kills 8k and injuries thousands a year. Just own it.
Cars and guns do not equate.  I spent 12 yrs in the Army and National Guard.  I fired expert with the M-14; M-16; .45 pistol; and the .35 Police Special.  I don't own a single gun--but I loved firing them and have no problem with people owning them for hunting and target shooting and recreation.  But I don't know why anybody but a soldier on active duty needs more than a 5 round clip, needs a semi or automatic firing weapon, or a large caliber weapon such as a .50 cal weapon of any kind, or any of the medium weapons such as machine guns of any kind or any heavy weapon.  They are designed for one thing--killing people.  Cars are not designed to kill people; in fact the manufacturers take pains to keep that from happening.  Just about anything sold in stores can be used to kill people, but not more than one or two at a time and none are designed to kill.    Only guns are designed for that purpose. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I worked for a rich guy in Willits who had a 1919/a machine gun, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94etpfMB3A

I got to fire it once, but I can't say it was really fun. I'd rather just shoot targets with a .22.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 01:20:46 PM
I appreciate and do care about your family history.   My family has had its own problems, but not those.  Not suggesting it is genetic in any way.  It is probably sad random events. 

But what were the means?  Would they have died if no guns were easily available?  Few people stab themselves to death.  And don't jest bout Lizzie Borden or Brutus please, my patience with you is wearing thin.

Who kills themselves in the loneliness of the night with a carving knif?.  Sure they CAN, but it isn't common.  Guns making killing others or self just too much easier.

I responded to the OP, not to your sane POV regarding automatic weapons.  And no, not one (other than the death by cop) was by gunfire.  The point was ... the OP was going to give us his reason that if only we are Marxist, we can stop all this Capitalist killing (based on ideology, not evidence).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 25, 2018, 01:27:06 PM
I had a facebook page for about a week.  I grew more and more bored with the whole thing and just stopped visiting it or going on facebook.  I guess it may still be there--don't care enough to find out.

You are not helping the authorities keep track of your mental health ;-)

Coveny - comparing the US to GB or Japan ... is apples and oranges, or at least apples, fish & chips, and sushi.  Culture makes a difference.  On the other hand, Japanese with nukes would make me very nervous ;-(  If you think the solution is to make the US into Japan or GB ... then you can hold your breath until you turn blue.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Coveny on February 25, 2018, 05:58:33 PM
Hunt. Growing up everyone I knew provided food on their table from hunting.

Frankly thats mostly bullshit. Hunting brings in very little food on an annual basis for any family. Hunting is far more useful in keeping the animal population stable and healthy. At least use that reason. Hunting for food is bull shit in this country. Sure it saves a couple bucks a year, but if compared to the time involved, the time wasted in the hunt, the cost to process (cause the vast majority have no idea how to process a deer) the beer involved...the food bought for the hunt, etc....it ends up cheaper to buy meat from the store.

And save your breath, I grew up in Michigan hunting and fishing and although it is a nice and feel good slop...hunting does not save any money at the household level.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

Quote from: Coveny on February 25, 2018, 05:58:33 PM
Hunt. Growing up everyone I knew provided food on their table from hunting. Is eating important to you?

PS no one has machine guns, full automatics have been banned for years. Also magazines sizes are already regulated.

PSS this isn't the topic, the topic is about the reasons people murder, and the role mainstream media plays in that

Do people use automatic weapons for hunting? Admitedly, I've never been hunting and likely never will, but I would expect that hunters would prefer fewer bullets in their prey, especially when the intention is to eat their meat. One shot through the head or the heart should do it. Why spray one hundred bullets at a deer? It seems to me that automated weapons are specifically designed for killing large groups of people.

Are they banned, really? If so, I do wonder where these mass shooters have been buying/finding them...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--