News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Would you rather?

Started by Mr.Obvious, February 20, 2018, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Time for a game?

Would you rather. I think we all know this one.
I ask you to choose between two options. You answer and give us your reasoning. Once you give your answer, you must pose a dillema of your own so the game can continue.

Would you rather:
Be able to read all languages, but not be able to speak at all.
OR
Be able to speak all languages, but not be able to read at all.

(P.S. In option 1: sign-language is excluded, you can communicate in sign-language. But your voice doesn't work.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

First option, since I'd still have sign language to communicate with deaf people and others who know sign language.

---

Would you rather live for one thousand years -or-

forced to live 1 million years, with no option to die for 1 million years?

Baruch

First option (you are implying that you could die in less than 1000 years, if you wanted to.  Definitely not the second option.  Too much of a good thing ... or a bad thing, depending.  The point of life isn't quantity, it is quality.

Would you rather be a male bee who mates with the queen and dies immediately afterward -or-
be a female drone who gets shit done in the hive?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on February 20, 2018, 06:35:11 PM
First option (you are implying that you could die in less than 1000 years, if you wanted to.  Definitely not the second option.  Too much of a good thing ... or a bad thing, depending.  The point of life isn't quantity, it is quality.

Would you rather be a male bee who mates with the queen and dies immediately afterward -or-
be a female drone who gets shit done in the hive?

option B (chance of being a queen and then all the mens are mine)

Would you rather

Become extremely rich but by illegal means, knowing you could be caught and jailed any time for it -or-
Work hard all your life for your wealth, but have no energy or zest for life to spend it on, just a workus.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on February 20, 2018, 07:21:11 PM
option B (chance of being a queen and then all the mens are mine)

Would you rather

Become extremely rich but by illegal means, knowing you could be caught and jailed any time for it -or-
Work hard all your life for your wealth, but have no energy or zest for life to spend it on, just a workus.

I'd rather be consumed by my work and never have time to take a vacation.

Would you rather be a brilliant author who never had any privacy or a brilliant author who was never famous?

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 20, 2018, 08:17:21 PMWould you rather be a brilliant author who never had any privacy or a brilliant author who was never famous?
Second.  I could live with a lack of fame (it's the default) but a lack of privacy would be unbearable.

Would you rather...

..never play computer games again -OR- never watch any video on a computer again?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 20, 2018, 09:59:45 PM
Second.  I could live with a lack of fame (it's the default) but a lack of privacy would be unbearable.

Would you rather...

..never play computer games again -OR- never watch any video on a computer again?

Easy. I'd give up the videos because (1) I could get a TON of more stuff done without YouTube to distract me, (2) since you specified I couldn't watch on a computer, you imply that I can watch videos on other devices if I REALLY wanted to, and (3) video games are much more fun.

EDIT: Oops. Almost forgot to make my own dilemma.

Would you rather:

• Be able to fly, but never land. (You float.)
  • Have super strength, but touching others is always fatal.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 21, 2018, 01:12:34 AM

Would you rather:

• Be able to fly, but never land. (You float.)
  • Have super strength, but touching others is always fatal.

Easy, A, it's more adaptable then B were those I love would get hurt.

Would you rather-

A: have a dream home just the way you like it, but be living on a tiny island with limited community and only a couple shops.
B: live in a lackluster home but live somewhere with all conveniences and mod cons nearby like in a city or town.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 21, 2018, 04:54:50 AM
Easy, A, it's more adaptable then B were those I love would get hurt.

Would you rather-

A: have a dream home just the way you like it, but be living on a tiny island with limited community and only a couple shops.
B: live in a lackluster home but live somewhere with all conveniences and mod cons nearby like in a city or town.

B. People are what is important, not things, not even personal goals.

I have lived in the big metro and in the village.  They are both filled with entertaining idiots.  Haven't you heard of Goldilocks?  What is best is not too hot but also not too cold etc.

Would you rather have a tiny home (the new kind of do it yourself mobile home that is actually mobile) that can support Internet and your laptop, that you can take anywhere ... or have a palatial estate that is immobile, where even you, the owner, doesn't know all the rooms, or all the servants?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

I’d rather stay in one place with a nice home than have a mobile home, I’m not one for traveling anyway.

Would you rather go back in time and live as a prosperous Roman, with all the amenities of the era but without the ability to change anything and minus modern technology, or live as a low/middle class person in the modern era with all the technology like medicine and internet but with no way to advance your social and economic standing but plenty of ways to decline?

Say as a Roman you live during Pax Romana
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on February 21, 2018, 06:42:42 AM
I’d rather stay in one place with a nice home than have a mobile home, I’m not one for traveling anyway.

Would you rather go back in time and live as a prosperous Roman, with all the amenities of the era but without the ability to change anything and minus modern technology, or live as a low/middle class person in the modern era with all the technology like medicine and internet but with no way to advance your social and economic standing but plenty of ways to decline?

Say as a Roman you live during Pax Romana

don't really have much of a choice for me but to live today, I'd be dead in 3 days living in roman times, so gotta go with the second option, need insulin.

Would you rather have summer heat all year round but having no AC or fans to speak of (you'd have plenty of water), or live in a perpetual cold place with limited means to keep warm (like only having a fireplace and wood to burn)

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on February 21, 2018, 07:38:16 AM
don't really have much of a choice for me but to live today, I'd be dead in 3 days living in roman times, so gotta go with the second option, need insulin.

Would you rather have summer heat all year round but having no AC or fans to speak of (you'd have plenty of water), or live in a perpetual cold place with limited means to keep warm (like only having a fireplace and wood to burn)

Summer please, if i can take two quick showers a day, i can manage. Plus all The girls would be wearing summer outfits.
I have bad joints and a back that act up in winter. Plus my eternal cold would become eternal cold from hell, all year round. I don't like winter, like at all.

Would you rather be pushed around in a adult sized stroller everywhere you go, for one year OR have to drink anything you drink from a baby-bottle for five years?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 21, 2018, 01:00:41 PM
Summer please, if i can take two quick showers a day, i can manage. Plus all The girls would be wearing summer outfits.
I have bad joints and a back that act up in winter. Plus my eternal cold would become eternal cold from hell, all year round. I don't like winter, like at all.

Would you rather be pushed around in a adult sized stroller everywhere you go, for one year OR have to drink anything you drink from a baby-bottle for five years?

I'd choose the baby bottle. The latter option can be used more in privacy, while being pushed around in a stroller is a very public thing. If I had to drink something when I was away from home (which I could avoid doing), I could just tell people that I lost a bet.

Would you rather:

A. Become immune to sickness and injury for the rest of your life, but lose half of your remaining lifespan.

B. Double your remaining lifespan, but become twice as susceptible to sickness and injury.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 21, 2018, 09:51:37 PM
I'd choose the baby bottle. The latter option can be used more in privacy, while being pushed around in a stroller is a very public thing. If I had to drink something when I was away from home (which I could avoid doing), I could just tell people that I lost a bet.

Would you rather:

A. Become immune to sickness and injury for the rest of your life, but lose half of your remaining lifespan.

B. Double your remaining lifespan, but become twice as susceptible to sickness and injury.
I suspect this would depend on the environment.  The more likely you are to die prematurely from sickness/injury, the better option A becomes and vice versa.  Still, I would go for option A.  Spending those twilight years infirm sounds extremely undesirable.  Plus, it'd open all new career paths.  Circe d'soliel, here I come!

Along the medical train of thought, there's a new procedure than can cure any wound/illness but it causes horrific agonizing pain but you won't remember any pain afterwards.

Would you rather undergo the new procedure or never use it?

GrinningYMIR

I’d go for it, no memory means no pain.

Would you rather download yourself into an android body that looks the same as you do but is immune to most if not all diseases and is physically way stronger, albeit sterile. Or keep your original body with nanites that fight off infection and get rid of excess fat and repair/modify muscles and body parts for them to be at peak efficiency
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit