Independent analysis of Jordan Peterson ...

Started by Baruch, February 08, 2018, 08:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EZyW_-fo9k

It helps to get as many perspectives in the hope of getting a clearer picture.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Good analysis. I do hope that people, including those neo-Marxists and alt-right, actually listen to what Jordan Peterson says and don't only hear the parts they do or don't like. I certainly don't agree with everything he says, in fact his interpretation of Christian narratives and themes reminded me why I'm not Christian, but he got me thinking.

Sal1981

Gilgamesh

Jordan Peterson really isn't all that special. Listen to him expound (or rather, 'equivocate') on his own religiosity - specifically when he's being prodded on it by another - and you will see he's a sub-par thinker.

Sal1981

VICE did a failed, IMO, hit piece on him. Here's the heavily edited *interview*

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 09, 2018, 12:35:37 PM
Jordan Peterson really isn't all that special. Listen to him expound (or rather, 'equivocate') on his own religiosity - specifically when he's being prodded on it by another - and you will see he's a sub-par thinker.

True ... just a clinical psychologist.  Not a University of Chicago or Princeton philosopher.  But nobody listens to those guys anyway.  I can see all over the blogosphere, where so called public intellectuals are livid with jealousy toward Peterson or toward Molyneux ... because they will never have the popularity (and it is short lived and of dubious value) that they have.  In Europe they have actual academic public intellectuals ... who betray Western Civilization.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 09, 2018, 12:50:51 PM
VICE did a failed, IMO, hit piece on him. Here's the heavily edited *interview*

There is sub-par thinking, and simple stupidity.  Anyone who supports SJW isn't sub-par ... they aren't that intellectual.  They think with their emotions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 01:04:03 PM
There is sub-par thinking, and simple stupidity.  Anyone who supports SJW isn't sub-par ... they aren't that intellectual.  They think with their emotions.

We all think with our emotions. The trick is to recognize when our emotional responses are negatively influencing our judgment.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 09, 2018, 12:35:37 PM

The interviewers I have read who try to challenge him come from the wrong angle. They are concerned about identity politics, feminism and alt-right politics. He has those ideas nailed down. Where he flounders is his use of archtypes, narratives and neuroscience. He ultimately has to fall back on the Bible as an authoritative narrative to avoid relativism, which he abhors.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 09, 2018, 02:09:25 PM
The interviewers I have read who try to challenge him come from the wrong angle. They are concerned about identity politics, feminism and alt-right politics. He has those ideas nailed down. Where he flounders is his use of archtypes, narratives and neuroscience. He ultimately has to fall back on the Bible as an authoritative narrative to avoid relativism, which he abhors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIB05YeMiW8

Jordan has nothing but equivocation when it comes to his religiosity. Relative to his rhetoric concerning other areas of thought, this is embarrassing.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 09, 2018, 01:54:06 PM
We all think with our emotions. The trick is to recognize when our emotional responses are negatively influencing our judgment.

We are all women?  Hm, that explains my difficulty dating straight women ;-)

Yes, that is a stereotype.  But all stereotypes are partially true.  Feminine people (not all of whom are women) have different brain patterns than masculine people (not all of whom are men).  One is not superior to the other, but the feminine kind is intuitive rather than cognitive.  Emotional response is part of intuition (women's intuition).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 09, 2018, 02:09:25 PM

If he had an ancestral Muslim background, he would fall back on Islam.  It has to do with his choice of parents.  Condemn him for that if you will.

The Bible isn't authoritative, it is genetic (aka not synthetic, but organic).  The Pope is authoritative, and Peterson isn't Catholic either.  The Quran and other long loved/hated literature is like that ... it has deep cultural roots.  Not that Robespierre and his sans-cullotes need to take cognizance of that.  That is why the French Revolution was so stable and enduring.  The French had only been Catholic for 1200 years by that time.

I saw that same interview (where he says he is a Christian).  But only a cultural Christian.  For any real Christian, that isn't Christian at all.  He doesn't believe in the creed, dogma, doctrine or discipline of the Church.  Such people are at best heretics, like most American Christians as well.  I stand in the same way toward Judaism ... I am certainly a heretic.  And happy to be one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 07:25:24 PM
We are all women?  Hm, that explains my difficulty dating straight women ;-)

Yes, that is a stereotype.  But all stereotypes are partially true.  Feminine people (not all of whom are women) have different brain patterns than masculine people (not all of whom are men).  One is not superior to the other, but the feminine kind is intuitive rather than cognitive.  Emotional response is part of intuition (women's intuition).

You may regret posting that, though I understand what you are getting at.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

I regret many things.  And there are sans-cullotes with their cart filled with soon to be victims off the the Plac du Concorde.  I won't regret being me, I would only regret being someone else.  Hence it is important to come to know who one is, and to have integrity to that.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2018, 05:34:24 AM
I regret many things.  And there are sans-cullotes with their cart filled with soon to be victims off the the Plac du Concorde.  I won't regret being me, I would only regret being someone else.  Hence it is important to come to know who one is, and to have integrity to that.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ...

Yeah, yeah, the hero dies.  Heroes always die.  That's what they DO!  And leave it to the French to decide that if the American revolution was powerful, they HAD to go one-up on it.  They botched it SO BADLY (and I'm about half French) and that's why they hate us today.

What's the first thing the French military teaches recruits?  "Raise your arms"...

And WE did Vietnam for THEM to spit in our vichyssoise?  Don't get my genes all riled...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!