An example of pre-modern psychology in reflection ....

Started by Baruch, January 15, 2018, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 16, 2018, 09:00:13 AM
Yeah, that's too much woo for my taste.
I'm not sure why this is considered psychology.

GSOgymrat

I can dig it.

A tip for the Idries Shah Foundation - If you don't want people to perceive your organization as a cult don't name the organization after your charismatic leader.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 16, 2018, 09:32:47 AM
I'm not sure why this is considered psychology.

Mostly today it is giving psychoactive drugs, with diminishing returns, to benefit the drug industry, instead of patients.

The OP was specifically titled, pre-modern ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

omokuroi

Quote from: Baruch on January 16, 2018, 02:23:05 PM
Mostly today it is giving psychoactive drugs, with diminishing returns, to benefit the drug industry, instead of patients.
That's technically psychiatry, not psychology.

Some psychologists buy into it but a fair few are critical of that system. More than psychiatrists are, at least.

Psychologists also do research and so on where psychiatrists just meet with pharma reps and then advertise whatever drugs were brought up to their customers patients.

Cavebear

Quote from: omokuroi on January 16, 2018, 03:27:58 PM
That's technically psychiatry, not psychology.

Some psychologists buy into it but a fair few are critical of that system. More than psychiatrists are, at least.

Psychologists also do research and so on where psychiatrists just meet with pharma reps and then advertise whatever drugs were brought up to their customers patients.

Pharma rules too much.  Time to set them back a bit.  The next time a Dr offers you anything for free, it is a Pharma promotion.  Ask questions, demand doctors refuse samples...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!