News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Site Donation 2018

Started by Naru, December 04, 2017, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

I am going to be sending in about $500.00 here real quick just as soon as I scratch this last spot on the ticket and.......crap.....uh.........*cough*
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on January 07, 2018, 07:50:49 PM
I am going to be sending in about $500.00 here real quick just as soon as I scratch this last spot on the ticket and.......crap.....uh.........*cough*
I was about to say that soon as the last big power ball ticket gets blown into my hand during a hurricane I was going to prepay the cost of running the site for the next 50 years.
Unfortunately and completely out of my control is the fact that there were no active hurricanes right before the lucky fucker in New Hampshire won it. You just can't rely on the weather when it comes to the lottery. Dammit!
There was a big storm up that way,but it didn't blow anything to South Carolina from New Hampshire to the best of my recollection .. If it did the winning power ball ticket wasn't among them..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: Naru on December 04, 2017, 07:21:13 PM
Just want to update everyone that for this year we are going to try something new. We are going to keep the donation up all year long instead of just opening near the end of the year. Let me know how you guys feel about this change or do you think it would be better to just keep it close and only open it near the bill date.

Out of curiousity, what do you need per year?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hakurei Reimu

Plonk!

I'm one of those people who needs the reminder...
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

wolf39us

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 02:12:04 PM
Out of curiousity, what do you need per year?

It's around $250 ish / year if I recall correctly. 

NaRu actually gets the bill so he can tell you the real numbers.

Cavebear

You are working on pocket change?  Its that cheap to run a site like this?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 06:45:46 AM
You are working on pocket change?  Its that cheap to run a site like this?

It isn't the money that makes it, it is the people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 01:48:50 PM
It isn't the money that makes it, it is the people.

Then, shouldn't they be asking for people?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 03:23:58 PM
Then, shouldn't they be asking for people?

Not everyone who visits is a person.  Dogs, ponies & cavebears .. oh my!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Naru

This year the bill was $254.28, This pays for the server access and malware/virus protection. In May the domain name is up for renewal and that cost $28.98 for the year.

Compare to other sites, this is somewhat cheap. There are sites that cost few hundred dollars a month but this is for dedicated servers. We are on a share server with other sites so our resources is split up between them. Right now this is fine so we do not need to upgrade at all.

We only ask for donation because we keep the site clean from ads. I am not the type of person who is going to put ads on this site to save money. There were many years I pay most of the site and only got $100 or less. Like I said before, I do not mind paying for the site but we do not make any profit from doing this and any donation shows me that people are interested on keeping this community alive.

I have always said this, if you can not donate, then don't. I am not upset from it. Either way, the site will be paid and I will continue to keep it up.

I want to thank everyone who have donated and to anyone who are active members in the community because without you guys, I will not be doing this.

Cavebear

Quote from: Naru on January 26, 2018, 07:23:00 PM
This year the bill was $254.28, This pays for the server access and malware/virus protection. In May the domain name is up for renewal and that cost $28.98 for the year.

Compare to other sites, this is somewhat cheap. There are sites that cost few hundred dollars a month but this is for dedicated servers. We are on a share server with other sites so our resources is split up between them. Right now this is fine so we do not need to upgrade at all.

We only ask for donation because we keep the site clean from ads. I am not the type of person who is going to put ads on this site to save money. There were many years I pay most of the site and only got $100 or less. Like I said before, I do not mind paying for the site but we do not make any profit from doing this and any donation shows me that people are interested on keeping this community alive.

I have always said this, if you can not donate, then don't. I am not upset from it. Either way, the site will be paid and I will continue to keep it up.

I want to thank everyone who have donated and to anyone who are active members in the community because without you guys, I will not be doing this.

Back in the early 90s, when my office first got desktop computers and internet access, the first searchword I tried was "atheist".  I found a streaming chat site and stayed there for several years.  Then there were several. 

I found American Atheists and chatted there for some years until some guy dedicated to gay rights kind of took over.  I'm fine with gay rights and many other causes, but there wasn't much atheism involved after a while.

I found you folks about 18 months ago.  I'm glad to see it mostly focussed on atheism.  I don't know any outright admitted atheists in real life, so this place is good. 

I understand that funds are required to keep such a good site functioning.  I sent some.  I hope others do too.  Everyone who enjoys the benefits of talking to other atheists should do the same.  Every bit that keeps the site operating should do the same to the extent they can.

Keep up the great site please...  And I thank you for it...

Baruch

You are a good man, Charlie Bear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 08:56:54 AM
You are a good man, Charlie Bear.

So you donate to the site too?  If not, why not?  Got a dollar?