Human-Neanderthal Hybrid Believed Found

Started by stromboli, March 29, 2013, 01:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://news.discovery.com/human/evoluti ... 130327.htm

QuoteThe skeletal remains of an individual living in northern Italy 40,000-30,000 years ago are believed to be that of a human/Neanderthal hybrid, according to a paper in PLoS ONE.

If further analysis proves the theory correct, the remains belonged to the first known such hybrid, providing direct evidence that humans and Neanderthals interbred. Prior genetic research determined the DNA of people with European and Asian ancestry is 1 to 4 percent Neanderthal.

The present study focuses on the individual's jaw, which was unearthed at a rock-shelter called Riparo di Mezzena in the Monti Lessini region of Italy. Both Neanderthals and modern humans
"From the morphology of the lower jaw, the face of the Mezzena individual would have looked somehow intermediate between classic Neanderthals, who had a rather receding lower jaw (no chin), and the modern humans, who present a projecting lower jaw with a strongly developed chin," co-author Silvana Condemi, an anthropologist, told Discovery News.

Condemi is the CNRS research director at the University of Ai-Marseille. She and her colleagues studied the remains via DNA analysis and 3D imaging. They then compared those results with the same features from Homo sapiens.

The genetic analysis shows that the individual's mitochondrial DNA is Neanderthal. Since this DNA is transmitted from a mother to her child, the researchers conclude that it was a "female Neanderthal who mated with male Homo sapiens."

Or got raped by. Take that, Creationists!

AllPurposeAtheist

Several are living here at the VOA...A few are staff members. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

bennyboy

Single-sample morphology is dangerous.  Some people are just gimps.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.

Jutter

"Human-Neanderthal Hybrid Believed Found"
Awesome!!

"The skeletal remains of..."

Oh yeah... erm, eh...
...yeah that's also interresting...kinda.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

wolf39us

*theist mode*

But where is the evidence?  Show me the evidence!

Hydra009

Quote from: "wolf39us"*theist mode*

But where is the evidence?  Show me the evidence!
Of course they mated.  It's what everyone believes and it makes sense to me.  Prove that they didn't!