News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

It's OK to be white

Started by pr126, November 20, 2017, 12:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

I don't like the direction this thread is headed in.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on January 20, 2018, 06:54:23 PM
Edit: Shortened post...

Yes, we are all "mixed"... but that doesn't mean much. When I say I am of Southern Italian/British Isles/Arab descent, I don't mean my cheek bones look like this, my eye shape like that, my height like such and such... I mean my ancestors, within my life time, were facing issues related to those groups.

My biological grandmother moved here from Southern Italy, and my mother was first-generation born in America Italian American. Yes, genetically she was at the end of the day almost no different from an English, German, whatever American... but her experiences because of where her parents were from greatly effected her life and thus mine. That's just one example of how different "colours" make a difference. It also effects naming traditions (and thus how you are perceived by the world), accents, socio-economic opportunity (when my ancestors moved here, segregation was still legal and that included among whites and semi-whites). And that's only addressing immigration issues, not just cultural norms and traditions that vary from "ethnicity" to "ethnicity".

I personally hate with a passion this idea that we need to be color blind, that we are all the same; no, fuck that, we aren't. We are all different, and that is beautiful. That is something that should be celebrated and spark intrigue. But we should also celebrate that with each generation, the lines that make us different become more and more blurry. We should celebrate that we now share differences, rather than just forget about them.

The fact that we are different is what makes life worth living. It's unfortunately also been what has been used to justify making life worth taking, but that doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater.

But its simply okay to be white.

Shiranu

QuoteBut its simply okay to be white.

I don't think anyone here has ever contended that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on January 21, 2018, 12:15:44 AM
I don't think anyone here has ever contended that.

so why is this thread 8 pages long?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Like Shiranu, I support ethnicity, just not ghetto separatism.  Some Hasidic Jews are like Amish, they are separatists.  Small groups like that are not a big problem, a lot of people like that involve rejection of the civil law, in favor of ethnic law ... sharia, canon law, rabbinic law.  That is not OK as law, it is OK as tradition.  I don't support institutional racism or bigotry ... the racism as political tool by majority (or minority).  I may not like someone's prejudice, but that isn't the same as .. they are going to deny me a driver's license because of how I look.  The first is gauche, the second is actionable.

As far as ancestors go, I like some better than others, but it has nothing to do with their skin color.  It has to do with aspects of their ethnic character ... nobody escapes my criticism, including British Isles people.  If one has deep shame, because of one's ancestors, I think one needs counseling to reconnect with the present and future.  That sounds like an obsession to me.  I don't know that Shiranu is obsessed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on January 21, 2018, 02:33:54 AM
so why is this thread 8 pages long?

Well, given that there are three of you telling me how stupid and awful I am to each one of my posts, that probably contributes allot to the length.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Quote from: Shiranu on January 21, 2018, 12:27:52 PM
Well, given that there are three of you telling me how stupid and awful I am to each one of my posts, that probably contributes allot to the length.
Nobody here called you stupid or awful.

Can provide the quotes?

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 12:30:57 PM
Nobody here called you stupid or awful.

Can provide the quotes?

No, I just hate my race, hate myself, am wrong about everything, regressive leftist, yada yada...

pr126

Oh dear. Lack of self confidence. That is not healthy.
I agree with the "regressive leftist", but it is not your fault.

Blame the college professors who have taken your money and gave you nothing of value in return.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 21, 2018, 12:40:38 PM
No, I just hate my race, hate myself, am wrong about everything, regressive leftist, yada yada...

I support "angry" young men and women, they are "the change" that will come.  They just have to do it right ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 12:50:14 PM
Oh dear. Lack of self confidence. That is not healthy.
I agree with the "regressive leftist", but it is not your fault.

Blame the college professors who have taken your money and gave you nothing of value in return.

I never said that's how I feel about myself...

AllPurposeAtheist

Is it ok to be white?  As if anyone has ever had a choice in the matter?  You don't get to choose your genetic material before being born nor afterwards.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Munch

self-deprecation based on your skin color, even your nationality is ludicrous and kind of insane. Though I suppose we could follow michael jacksons example of hating our skin color so much we bletch it and get plastic surgery until we're a waxwork monstrosity.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quoteself-deprecation based on your skin color, even your nationality is ludicrous and kind of insane.

For once, something we completely agree on.

I am very jokingly self-deprecative of... well, everything I am... because that is just how I tend to be. I don't mind making myself the butt of the joke. But I don't understand how white people can be ashamed of being white anymore than I don't understand how black people aren't proud of being black (other than they are forced not to be). Any jokes about my whiteness are just that... jokes.

That said, acknowledging your "races" (for lack of a better way of putting that) short-comings and continued oppression of someone is not self-depreciation, that's just acknowledging reality. The "white", or more specifically the Anglo-Saxon American community, does to this day practice many actions that keep minorities a tier or two bellow them. That doesn't mean I hate white people to say that, no more than saying straight people do oppress the LGBT community means I hate straight people.