News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why didn't Jesus write a book?

Started by josephpalazzo, June 14, 2013, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Maybe he was just this really cool guy. Wasn't the smartest in class... but everyone just liked him because he made the best tree forts with his carpentry skillz. And all those stories are just exaggerations of cool things he did for people. Like "jesus walked on water" was more like "jesus helped an old lady cross the street. And the reason no one wrote about him in his teens was because he broke out in uncontrolable acne and he hid for a few years.... or he wasn't as cool... you know... becuase of all the acne.

All he ever wanted was to be an illiterate carpenter. He didn't want all that fame. Damn those apostle-paparazzi and their eager to convert. Damn you, Paul, you Greek homophobic.

Jason78

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "stromboli"He was not a scribe and therefore not literate. Oh, and also, he didn't exist.  :-D

You had to spoil the ending?!?

:P

Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "stromboli"He was not a scribe and therefore not literate. Oh, and also, he didn't exist.  :-D

You had to spoil the ending?!?

:P

Bruce Willis was a ghost the whole time!

Wasn't he killed by Snape?

Oh, sorry...
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

WitchSabrina

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 655AAa4HyA

The comments are priceless.   I especially like the guy who flames the question and adds he has NO TIME for such nonsense.......   (aka as he obviously makes time for the question LMAO)

..... yeah

I happen to think that Jesus may have actually been a real person who was a sort of of-the-day-guru sort.  He was probably all about spreading love and smoking weed, hanging with the low-lifers and such.  Whatever.   He didn't write anything down not because he was illiterate - who knows - but because that wasn't his method of mind-control or aka helping others.  Some others so moved decided to add his miracles later, umphed his story X 1000 and made a matyr and son of god out of him.  Every religion needs a hero.  And what better than to have an actual deity lower himself to come hang with lowly earthlings?

*shrug*

Given his "followers" were scarce till the counsel of Nicea when a few decided they could really rally folk if they gathered their thoughts and made something concrete they could literally point to.......
none of which had Anything to do with Jesus.

The fact that they sanctioned their own book at Nicea - that mere mortals decided what God or christ would have of them - is the most mind blowing part of all.
Sure.......

Let's concentrate on how fallible we are as humans by proving our infallible book that we write ourselves.
excellent plan.
 :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081231132655AAa4HyA

The comments are priceless.   I especially like the guy who flames the question and adds he has NO TIME for such nonsense.......   (aka as he obviously makes time for the question LMAO)

..... yeah

I happen to think that Jesus may have actually been a real person who was a sort of of-the-day-guru sort.  He was probably all about spreading love and smoking weed, hanging with the low-lifers and such.  Whatever.   He didn't write anything down not because he was illiterate - who knows - but because that wasn't his method of mind-control or aka helping others.  Some others so moved decided to add his miracles later, umphed his story X 1000 and made a matyr and son of god out of him.  Every religion needs a hero.  And what better than to have an actual deity lower himself to come hang with lowly earthlings?

*shrug*

Given his "followers" were scarce till the counsel of Nicea when a few decided they could really rally folk if they gathered their thoughts and made something concrete they could literally point to.......

The fact that they sanctioned their own book at Nicea - that mere mortals decided what God or christ would have of them - is the most mind blowing part of all.
Sure.......

Let's concentrate on how fallible we are as humans by proving our infallible book that we write ourselves.
excellent plan.

At Nicea, they did more than just choose which gospels would be approved, they also destroyed dozens of others that didn't fit with the official dogma. That's to mention that those approved gospels had been copied through the centuries with modifications as they had too many flaws, and the chuirch had to cover its asses.

Sleeper

For the same reason that Tom Sawyer didn't write a book.

...and Verbal is Keyser Soze.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081231132655AAa4HyA

..... yeah

*shrug*

Sure.......

excellent plan.

At Nicea, they did more than just choose which gospels would be approved, they also destroyed dozens of others that didn't fit with the official dogma. That's to mention that those approved gospels had been copied through the centuries with modifications as they had too many flaws, and the chuirch had to cover its asses.

Absolutely.   If the gathering and subsequent events of the Counsel of Nicea doesn't prove the fallibility of mankind where religion is concerned - I don't know what does.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

I love how the gospels have been modified over thousands of years and they still haven't got it right, accept about witches that is.  :rollin:   :roll:   Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

The Skeletal Atheist

I imagine those holes in his hands made it very difficult to write.  :twisted:
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Raynot

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"That way, he could have just told what everyone should know instead of having the worst sources ever.
Even if he did, it would still be just his opinion. And if he was as humble as some say, he couldn't boast of all his miracles.
And the early Church would have been forced to revise it anyway because it probably would have conflicted with Paul.

Brian37

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"That way, he could have just told what everyone should know instead of having the worst sources ever.

Wait, why start at Jesus? If he is God incarnate, there were books before, the OT. So the real question should be, if God had this kick ass manual we could simply read and have a kick ass life, it would seem to me he could have "poofed" the entire print and hand it down in the garden.

This alleged deity "poofed" everything into existence in a 6 day period, but yet used mere mortals over 1,000 year period with books left out.

The bible is the worst source ever like the Koran and Reg Vedas. Human superstition has always been a bad way to explain reality.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Colanth

Quote from: "Raynot"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"And the early Church would have been forced to revise it anyway because it probably would have conflicted with Paul.
The claim that he existed in a body conflicts with Paul, who claimed that he was only a spirit.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Raynot"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"And the early Church would have been forced to revise it anyway because it probably would have conflicted with Paul.
The claim that he existed in a body conflicts with Paul, who claimed that he was only a spirit.

Paul does a lot of conflicting where Jesus is concerned.   It never fails to amuse me that Christians give it all the Jesus routine, but prefer to follow Paul's teachings....

Cudann

Concerning Jesus, historians/scholars/classicists mostly agree on a few things:  

He existed.  
He lived in the outskirts of the Roman Empire, in Palestine.  
He was a carpenter.  
He was a Jew.  
He was an apocalyptic prophet.  
He had a large following.  
He made the Jewish establishment (particularly the Pharisees, who were popular and many) angry.  
He was executed by being nailed to a cross on the orders of the local Roman governor.  

In the years and decades after Jesus' death, stories that had probably started during his lifetime continued circulating and expanding.  Like stories surrounding many popular religious figures of the time, those stories often involved a virgin birth, miracles done by the person in question, and his eventual resurrection from the dead.  (Look up Apollonius of Tyana for an example, if you'd like.)  

Jesus was almost definitely illiterate.  He did not write a book, nor did he need to write one.  We can't even say for certain whether he claimed to be the Jewish Messiah, as some of the gospels have him doing, so we can't say that he would have necessarily wanted a book written for him.  Personally, I doubt he would have wanted a book; evidence suggests he believed the world would be ending any day now, and what good would a book be for people to read and contemplate when the end was maybe as early as next week?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Cudann"Concerning Jesus, historians/scholars/classicists mostly agree on a few things:  

He existed.  
He lived in the outskirts of the Roman Empire, in Palestine.  
He was a carpenter.  
He was a Jew.  
He was an apocalyptic prophet.  
He had a large following.  
He made the Jewish establishment (particularly the Pharisees, who were popular and many) angry.  
He was executed by being nailed to a cross on the orders of the local Roman governor.  

In the years and decades after Jesus' death, stories that had probably started during his lifetime continued circulating and expanding.  Like stories surrounding many popular religious figures of the time, those stories often involved a virgin birth, miracles done by the person in question, and his eventual resurrection from the dead.  (Look up Apollonius of Tyana for an example, if you'd like.)  

Jesus was almost definitely illiterate.  He did not write a book, nor did he need to write one.  We can't even say for certain whether he claimed to be the Jewish Messiah, as some of the gospels have him doing, so we can't say that he would have necessarily wanted a book written for him.  Personally, I doubt he would have wanted a book; evidence suggests he believed the world would be ending any day now, and what good would a book be for people to read and contemplate when the end was maybe as early as next week?

^^^

Wow, you like to believe in that bullshit.