Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I like Existentialism ...

Started by Baruch, October 29, 2017, 11:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

because it is close to psychology.

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/jean-paul-sartre-cox-demands-freedom/

But theistic existentialism, not the atheist kind he advocated.  Quoting article ...

"At the heart of Sartre’s philosophy are four closely related phenomena: consciousness, freedom, bad faith and authenticity."

I support the notion that authenticity is truthfulness.  Also that humans are radically free.  But I would add that "bad faith" applies also in our relationship to our own self.  And that Freud has something to say about the supposed centrality of consciousness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 29, 2017, 11:01:30 PM
because it is close to psychology.

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/jean-paul-sartre-cox-demands-freedom/

But theistic existentialism, not the atheist kind he advocated.  Quoting article ...

"At the heart of Sartre’s philosophy are four closely related phenomena: consciousness, freedom, bad faith and authenticity."

I support the notion that authenticity is truthfulness.  Also that humans are radically free.  But I would add that "bad faith" applies also in our relationship to our own self.  And that Freud has something to say about the supposed centrality of consciousness.

Not the easiest post to which to reply...

Existentialism doesn't require theism.  One can live without it.

Consciousness is probably good.  Otherwise we wouldn't be discussing anything.

Freedom is probably good.  Otherwise we would be some pride clowder or tribe dominated by the biggest and baddest.

"Bad faith" seems mostly like religion and theism, and we could do without either.

Authenticity is just being what you are.  Snails are "authentic".

And Freud was just sort of "penis" oriented except when he (or someone) said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

"Not the easiest post to which to reply..."

Good.  Did you read the article, or just my summary.  Don't judge it on the basis that I posted it.  The author is responsible, not me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 31, 2017, 07:05:23 AM
"Not the easiest post to which to reply..."

Good.  Did you read the article, or just my summary.  Don't judge it on the basis that I posted it.  The author is responsible, not me.

I read the article.  I try to learn something new every day.  Some articles make more sense than others.  Any fool can write an article.  I know, I've done it myself.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!