Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gun Control

Started by joebialek, October 23, 2017, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2017, 10:41:07 PM
Shoot the rich?

Guillotine mon cherie.  Your bragging might get you a trip to Plac du Concorde .. I would STFU if I were you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 18, 2017, 12:50:39 AM
I agree.  As an older white guy, I am less likely to be shot for reaching for my driver's license.  But no one should, and that is my objection...

I always keep my hands down in my lap.  I don't do anything .. people have died bending over to retrieve something or opening their glove box.  Don't give the cop a panic attack, and hope he doesn't have PTSD from Iraq.

And yes, being White or homeless will get you killed for no reason at all.  I am sure the SJW would be happy if for every colored folk shot by the cops, we grab any white person off the street and shoot them, in fact 5 or 6 white people, to keep the ratios fair.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2017, 02:13:57 AM
See my post on early Napoleonic crowd control.  If it gets bad enough, I will drive a tank thru your front door myself.  With the Army.  Don't need no robo-cops or Judge Dred.
EOL
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on November 17, 2017, 11:32:38 PM
Shoot a cop in self defense and tell me how well that works out for you.
Cops shoot an average of three people a day in the US. That means you have a 1 in 110,000,000 chance of being shot by a cop on any give day. The Internet would have you believe this is a holocaust.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 19, 2017, 06:32:46 PM
Cops shoot an average of three people a day in the US. That means you have a 1 in 110,000,000 chance of being shot by a cop on any give day. The Internet would have you believe this is a holocaust.

Unless you are black then it's about 1 in 28,000,000 on any given day. If you are a black male between 15 and 34 it is a lot worse than that. Black males between the age of 15 and 34 are killed by the police at a rate about 9x higher than the rest of us. If you are a young black male living in the inner city it is even worse than it is for the average black male between 15 and 34. It is even worse for Native Americans than it is for blacks. White privilege includes being less likely to be killed by the police.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on November 19, 2017, 09:42:00 PM
Unless you are black then it's about 1 in 28,000,000 on any given day. If you are a black male between 15 and 34 it is a lot worse than that. Black males between the age of 15 and 34 are killed by the police at a rate about 9x higher than the rest of us.
AtheismIsUnstoppable: "then black people should stop committing crimes!"  (he's far from the only one to use that argument, I heard it a lot during the initial BLM/Blue Lives Matter kerfuffle)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on November 19, 2017, 09:42:00 PM
Unless you are black then it's about 1 in 28,000,000 on any given day. If you are a black male between 15 and 34 it is a lot worse than that. Black males between the age of 15 and 34 are killed by the police at a rate about 9x higher than the rest of us. If you are a young black male living in the inner city it is even worse than it is for the average black male between 15 and 34. It is even worse for Native Americans than it is for blacks. White privilege includes being less likely to be killed by the police.

Okay, 1/28,000,000. Still not a holocaust. Just a internet arm-waving festival.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

As long as one White person isn't wearing sack cloth and with finger to lip repeating "I am unclean" over and over ... their job isn't done.  Collective guilt, it is what's for supper.  Non-White?  The other White meat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

"If a problem isn't bad enough for my arbitrary line, then anyone who complains about it is just stupid!"

No one is saying it's going to be the death of the African American society, they are saying it's going to be the unjustified death of a father, mother, son, daughter.

They are saying it's the unjustified murder of a black man that will be swept under the rug by the P.D., that will be blamed on him wearing a hoodie or looking threatening with his back to the officer and his hands on his head.

They are saying it's the death of an innocent man with his wife and his kid in the car who informed the officer he was armed, and then murdered in front of his family for doing what they were told to do.

It's the murder of innocent men and women that old white men will just say, "Pfft, stop complaining it's not that bad!" because they don't have to worry every time they see a cop that they will be murdered in cold blood, or have false evidence planted on them, or be pulled over and stopped by police and several multiples the rate of that old white man because they "look" like a criminal.... even if they are well dressed, obeying the law and bothering no one.

But no, people should just shut up and not complain about state sanctioned murder of minorities, because it doesn't happen too often.

The fact that it happens even once and you are more concerned about people who are upset about it happening than the fact it happened says allot more negative things about you than them.

And I'm sure the protests and the millions of dollars raised for the families struck by these tragedies by internet arm waivers are meaningless as well. I'm sure the families are just as indifferent that people decided to help them rather than just bitch about other people online for daring to find murder something to be upset about.

Out of curiosity, my foreign posters... is there any other county in the world that sees a tragedy and says, "Meh, it's not bad enough... so stop trying to fix it!" like we do?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Thanks for the preaching.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2017, 06:21:17 PM

Thanks for admitting you're full of shit about this subject. Honestly, the fuck is that even suppose to mean?

"Thanks for presenting why I'm wrong. Hurrrrr, got you bro! Feel that burn!"

I'll save you the embarrassment of letting you dig yourself an even deeper hole and let it slide for now. Toodaloo!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

I give you hard numbers and you give me a lecture. Do you really think you are at all qualified to scold me?
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2017, 06:21:17 PM

My sermons are very popular, because they are very short.

"You are all going do die".  "Amen."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2017, 06:40:04 PM
I give you hard numbers and you give me a lecture. Do you really think you are at all qualified to scold me?

Shiranu has his big-boy pants on (or kilt), and you look like a wee bairn ... so yes, he could spank you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2017, 06:40:04 PM

I will try one more time, and I'll keep it short then, because I do generally think your an alright guy.

I am not trying to "lecture", but reality is more than just numbers and statistics, yes. I could reduce any tragedy to x in 1,000,000... but that doesn't mean that the weight of the tragedy is somehow lost or that we should therefor not say anything about it.

Even 5 years ago, the rate at which police got away with murder, both figuratively and literally, was higher than it is today... and that is because people bitched and moaned about it online and trying to make people aware of what is happening. Treyvon was probably the tipping point (though not police related, tied into the unjustified murder of African Americans) of where social media lead to noticeable protest groups about this issue... and ever since then, it has become harder and harder to sweep police brutality and murder under the rug.

African Americans have been doing everything in their power to make white America aware that this is an issue facing their community, but it also an issue that effects all of us, and we closed our ears and covered our eyes and pretended it wasn't there. Social media is how you reach white America... we don't generally live where this is happening, or when we do we are oblivious to it.

To compare it to one last thing; it's like saying Stonewall and police brutality only effected 1-in-1,000,000 (convenience number) homosexual men, so the people protesting in the street are really just waving their arms over nothing. No... the fact that the government is condoning any violence against the LGBT community is unacceptable, be it against 1,000,000, 1,000 or even 1 person... and the same can be said of any other minority group. Yes, things are "good" for them... but as a society, we shouldn't strive for "good", we should strive for exceptional. I was always taught that was the American way... to strive to the best at anything and everything... and therefor I can't just stay silent about the government covering up and pardoning the murder of fellow citizens simply for, frankly, the colour of their skin.