News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 02, 2017, 01:25:31 PM
How soon we forget.  Also ... All D presidents were wonderful (said by a D supporter).

As opposed to the genious Presidents; Nixon, Ford, Bush 2, and Trump... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: fencerider on September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM
During the crisis in Puerto Rico Trump has shown an unparalleled level of incompetence. While the people are in survival mode after the wind of 3 hurricanes, the best Trump can do is say they should be helping themselves. Do we really want an ignoramus in the Whie House? The Constitution gives Congress authority to impeach the president for any reason; no crime necessary.

If the Republitards in Congress are to yellow-bellied to do the right thing and get rid of the worst president in our history, shouldn't we start recalling our representatives.
While I'm as anxious as anyone to see the demented Cheeto sent packing back to his tower in NYC, there's a couple reasons I would prefer them to at least wait until the Mueller investigation wraps up.

One, 'high crimes and misdemeanors' is the bar set by the Constitution, and while he's a monumental asshole and complete incompetent, I can't at my most optimistic consider either of those a high crime or misdemeanor.  Now, incompetence brings the 25th Amendment into play, but that's for Pence and the Cabinet to implement, not Congress.

Two, impeachment should be uncommon.  The two times it went to the Senate, it was done for political reasons -- House and Senate Republicans simply wanted to get rid of Andrew Johnson, and later Bill Clinton (remember that even Witchfinder General Ken Starr had to ultimately admit that there was no wrongdoing in the Whitewater matter).  Nixon short-circuited what was by then his inevitable impeachment and conviction by resigning.  House Democrats (unwisely, in my opinion) took impeachment off the table as the lies and criminality over the Iraq invasion began to mount, and they did that for political reasons -- they didn't want to look like it was retaliation for attempted coup d'état against Clinton.

Third, I'm not sure I want Pence in charge.  He's a religious extremist who's not afraid to try to legislate his religion.  And unlike his boss, he's a politician who knows how to get what he wants through a legislature.  I certainly don't want him promoted this early in the term, when he has plenty of time to build incumbency before 2020.

So yes, I'm content to await the outcome of the Mueller investigation.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 11:51:04 AM
While I'm as anxious as anyone to see the demented Cheeto sent packing back to his tower in NYC, there's a couple reasons I would prefer them to at least wait until the Mueller investigation wraps up.

One, 'high crimes and misdemeanors' is the bar set by the Constitution, and while he's a monumental asshole and complete incompetent, I can't at my most optimistic consider either of those a high crime or misdemeanor.  Now, incompetence brings the 25th Amendment into play, but that's for Pence and the Cabinet to implement, not Congress.

Two, impeachment should be uncommon.  The two times it went to the Senate, it was done for political reasons -- House and Senate Republicans simply wanted to get rid of Andrew Johnson, and later Bill Clinton (remember that even Witchfinder General Ken Starr had to ultimately admit that there was no wrongdoing in the Whitewater matter).  Nixon short-circuited what was by then his inevitable impeachment and conviction by resigning.  House Democrats (unwisely, in my opinion) took impeachment off the table as the lies and criminality over the Iraq invasion began to mount, and they did that for political reasons -- they didn't want to look like it was retaliation for attempted coup d'état against Clinton.

Third, I'm not sure I want Pence in charge.  He's a religious extremist who's not afraid to try to legislate his religion.  And unlike his boss, he's a politician who knows how to get what he wants through a legislature.  I certainly don't want him promoted this early in the term, when he has plenty of time to build incumbency before 2020.

So yes, I'm content to await the outcome of the Mueller investigation.

Causes for impeachment would come FROM the Mueller investigation. 

But like Agnew protecting Nixon from impeachment, Pence might also have to go first.  I'll admit some uncertainty of that.  Pence is (thankfully) not Agnew.  A deal for Pence might not be the worst thing.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 12:10:48 PM

But like Agnew protecting Nixon from impeachment, Pence might also have to go first.  I'll admit some uncertainty of that.  Pence is (thankfully) not Agnew.  A deal for Pence might not be the worst thing.

Better get Pence first .. otherwise the gays and atheists are going in the ovens ;-(  He is a Christian theocrat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 12:10:48 PM

My point exactly.  Going for a removal now is pointless.  Let's wait for the Mueller investigation to give us real crimes and misdemeanors.  Mere assholitude is not an impeachable offense (neither is a blowjob, but the GOP was desperate to get even with a Democrat who dared win elections).

I'd almost rather Pence *were* Agnew -- crooked to the core so he could be sidelined.  Pence is politician enough to get his extremist religious agenda through a GOP congress that's having trouble uniting behind Asshole because he can talk their language and cut the kind deals that are necessary.  Congress doesn't like being ordered around the way Asshole does it, especially not by tweet.  If he weren't so profoundly self-absorbed and immature, the damage he could have done by now is immense.

In some ways, having him stick around is almost (ALMOST!!) preferable, since with his psychotically unpredictable hand at the helm, he'll have an awful time accomplishing anything.  Pence could get his christofascist agenda enacted, while Asshole can't.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2017, 11:40:49 PM
My point exactly.  Going for a removal now is pointless.  Let's wait for the Mueller investigation to give us real crimes and misdemeanors.  Mere assholitude is not an impeachable offense (neither is a blowjob, but the GOP was desperate to get even with a Democrat who dared win elections).

I'd almost rather Pence *were* Agnew -- crooked to the core so he could be sidelined.  Pence is politician enough to get his extremist religious agenda through a GOP congress that's having trouble uniting behind Asshole because he can talk their language and cut the kind deals that are necessary.  Congress doesn't like being ordered around the way Asshole does it, especially not by tweet.  If he weren't so profoundly self-absorbed and immature, the damage he could have done by now is immense.

In some ways, having him stick around is almost (ALMOST!!) preferable, since with his psychotically unpredictable hand at the helm, he'll have an awful time accomplishing anything.  Pence could get his christofascist agenda enacted, while Asshole can't.

Hillary taking a $1 million dollar bribe from Qatar ... is an impeachable offense against a Secretary of State.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 02, 2017, 11:59:36 AM
Dude, any president from the 80's and earlier would be hated even more than Trump if they were president today. It's not that the current POTUS is the worst - it's that the current political climate is more sensitive to bigotry (perceived or real) than ever before. But as far as policies and public image go, Trump is far more progressive than politicians were 30 years ago.

It's not just bigotry... Donald Trump's actual policies have been deplorable as well. At least most previous politicians were either terrible people but decent politicians or they were great people but terrible politicians... Donald Trump is both just a shitty human being and an unbelievably incompetent politician and statesman. I think you really have to dig deep and go to presidents like Grant, John Tyler, Fillmore, Andrew Johnson,Harding to find the last time we had such a failure of a president, and we aren't even a full year into his reign yet.

Mind you, the "worst" presidents who were highly unpopular overwhelmingly all came before the 1980's (Bush Jr. is the exception to the rule), so your statement that it's the sensitivity of modern society doesn't really seem to hold much factual basis to it and instead is more just stereotyping the younger generations to try and defend your man as well as just seems like a desperate attempt at blaming anyone other than your guy for why people don't like him. At a certain point, you just have to face the music and say he is just the living embodiment of douchery.

And let's cut the bullshit, it's not "perceived" bigotry from Trump; if his statements and actions do not fit the bill of being a bigot, than it's time we retire that word from the English language because it's clear it has lost any meaning.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 05, 2017, 12:58:45 AM
It's not just bigotry... Donald Trump's actual policies have been deplorable as well. At least most previous politicians were either terrible people but decent politicians or they were great people but terrible politicians... Donald Trump is both just a shitty human being and an unbelievably incompetent politician and statesman. I think you really have to dig deep and go to presidents like Grant, John Tyler, Fillmore, Andrew Johnson,Harding to find the last time we had such a failure of a president, and we aren't even a full year into his reign yet.

Mind you, the "worst" presidents who were highly unpopular overwhelmingly all came before the 1980's (Bush Jr. is the exception to the rule), so your statement that it's the sensitivity of modern society doesn't really seem to hold much factual basis to it and instead is more just stereotyping the younger generations to try and defend your man as well as just seems like a desperate attempt at blaming anyone other than your guy for why people don't like him. At a certain point, you just have to face the music and say he is just the living embodiment of douchery.

And let's cut the bullshit, it's not "perceived" bigotry from Trump; if his statements and actions do not fit the bill of being a bigot, than it's time we retire that word from the English language because it's clear it has lost any meaning.

See, if you don't like a politician, don't vote for them again, if you ever did.  End of story.  That is all you get to do as a citizen, sometimes.  And focus on the real power, Congress.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 05, 2017, 12:19:57 AM
Hillary taking a $1 million dollar bribe from Qatar ... is an impeachable offense against a Secretary of State.

Evidence please...

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 05, 2017, 12:58:45 AM

No actually, Trump is far more insane than any other President in our history.  Any rational and objective view suggests it.  Even Nixon actually intended to govern.  Trump is off in Never-Never Land.  And I don't say that happily or lightly.  I wish he was just manipulative.  Presidents can function that way.  He is just plain nuts!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 04:05:32 AM
No actually, Trump is far more insane than any other President in our history.  Any rational and objective view suggests it.  Even Nixon actually intended to govern.  Trump is off in Never-Never Land.  And I don't say that happily or lightly.  I wish he was just manipulative.  Presidents can function that way.  He is just plain nuts!

He is just plain nuts! ... says Mr Peanut ;-)

Trump is the anti-Christ ... claims atheist ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 08, 2017, 05:42:49 PM
He is just plain nuts! ... says Mr Peanut ;-)

Trump is the anti-Christ ... claims atheist ;-))

So wrong again.  Atheists have no more belief in an anti-christ than a christ.  Both are superstitions we do not pay attention to.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 10:25:47 PM
So wrong again.  Atheists have no more belief in an anti-christ than a christ.  Both are superstitions we do not pay attention to.

Your SQ (Satire Quotient) is really low.  You are not color blind, you are smiley blind ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 08, 2017, 10:27:41 PM
Your SQ (Satire Quotient) is really low.  You are not color blind, you are smiley blind ...

Rational people are often very literal.  But you are right, I missed the smiley.  That said, I bet you meant it. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 10:30:31 PM
Rational people are often very literal.  But you are right, I missed the smiley.  That said, I bet you meant it.

We all have bad days.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.