News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by Mai Mariarti, June 14, 2013, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viocjit

You was a Muslim , Christian and now you're an Atheist.
Can you tell your story ?

Jason78

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Am I crazy?

Yes.
Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Am I crazy or is the rest of the world crazy to believe in an imaginary God?

Yes.  And Yes.

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"If so, what chance do I have against all these crazy people who believe in all sorts of mambo-jumbo rituals?

None.  

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Have I lost it all together?

Yes.  

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"If so, How go I get back to being a sheep again and oblivious to what's real and what its not, just to feel good about myself and have a purpose again?

Being a sheep won't make you happy.  Because you were one, you weren't happy and now you're not one.

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Is there something wrong with me?

Yes.

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Is this what I am looking forward to for the rest of my remaining life?

Only if you keep thinking about it.

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"If so, why should I continue to suffer in this insane world?

There's other stuff.  Fly a kite or something.  Learn to knit.

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"I can prove God is a lie through logic alone, but how will that make the world a better place?

It won't.  Gods don't kill people, people kill people.

Welcome on board :)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mai Mariarti

Imagine my surprise to get this reply from a fucking DOG called Jason78!

mykcob4

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Hi every body,
I've been an Atheist for the past 30 Years and I was comfortable with that and never sought acknowledgment for my beliefs. I figured, I am what I am and my beliefs are private. However, recently, I've come to question my sanity! Am I crazy or is the rest of the world crazy to believe in an imaginary God? If so, what chance do I have against all these crazy people who believe in all sorts of mambo-jumbo rituals?
Before I became an Atheist, I was a Christian and before that, I was a Muslim. I find religion to be obscene with a touch of duplicity and our belief in an imaginary God, Well, Imaginary.
Have I lost it all together? If so, How go I get back to being a sheep again and oblivious to what's real and what its not, just to feel good about myself and have a purpose again? Be it a false one.
The way it stands, I don't believe in anything super natural or magical. I laugh at the notion of miracles.  
Is there something wrong with me? People tell me that I am a philosopher who will forever be depressed and lost in thought! Is this what I am looking forward to for the rest of my remaining life? If so, why should I continue to suffer in this insane world?
I can prove God is a lie through logic alone, but how will that make the world a better place?
I am not a troll. Just want some answers from fellow atheists whom I am sure had to tackle these questions on their own at some point.
You are suffering what I call the loneliness of uncommon sense. The fact is that most people cannot and will not think for themselves. They are TOO lazy to become educated. Sure they go to school, even get degrees, but they absolutely will not accept education. It is not a war you can win. You can't change the minds of fools and morons. Unfortunately the morons outnumber the rest of us nearly 1 million to 1. If christianity actually failed, something stupid would take its place. You see most people are weak and lazy. Pop culture dominates their pathetic lives. It's why the tea party emerged, why conservatism exist, why religion is here.
You are not alone, but you are rare. Unfortunately since you have "woken up" you can't go back unless you actually become brain damaged. So just accept it and move on.

Savior2006

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"I am not a troll.

You don't say? #-o
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

AllPurposeAtheist

I've fought with ongoing depression since I was a boy. I'm 53 now and still have my spats with it and to be honest I'm sometimes envious of people who 'find solace' in religion, but it's false solace thinking the magic spook is going to solve problems, but the problems are still there, but compounded with magical thinking. To bad god sucks at inspiring me to use proper grammar.. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

Whut? You don't beeelieve in witches? Whut? :shock:
lol  seriously - you sound pretty sane to me.  However, you might not want me to be your gauge.

keep up the good fight - the one for sanity and logic!

oh - and welcome!
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Mai Mariarti

Quote from: "Savior2006"
Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"I am not a troll.

You don't say? #-o
Do you think I am a troll? And if so, to what purpose?

Mai Mariarti

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I've fought with ongoing depression since I was a boy. I'm 53 now and still have my spats with it and to be honest I'm sometimes envious of people who 'find solace' in religion, but it's false solace thinking the magic spook is going to solve problems, but the problems are still there, but compounded with magical thinking. To bad god sucks at inspiring me to use proper grammar.. :-k
You and I are exactly the same age. I don't suffer from depression but I do get depressed once in a while specially when I'm out numbered by the religious idiots around me and wonder if they are right.
But, the next day, I see them as the stupid sheeple that they are and all goes back to normal.
I have a sister-in-law who suffers from depression and she is on 15 mg ciprelex a day and after 6 month I can see a remarkable difference in her.
I wish you well my friend.

Mai Mariarti

Quote from: "viocjit"You was a Muslim , Christian and now you're an Atheist.
Yes. I was born in Iran (not by choice you understand), a Muslim nation as you know. But I never could process the logic behind the theocracy. I kept asking questions and making fun of the answers since childhood. One day, I got beaten up pretty bad and my father decided to ship me off to England when I was 12.
Some of the things I would question where; If you cut a man's hand for stealing, are you not condemning him to a life of crime since he has no hands and can no longer work? If Mohammad became literate after God came to him in Harah cave, why didn't he write the Qur'an himself? Why in Arabic and not in all languages? Why can't I eat bacon? I love bacon. Why did God create the pig if we were not allowed to eat it?
When I went to England, I was bombarded by Christianity. At first, I thought this religion sounds good. Jesus is all about love and love thou neighbor. Later when I read the bible, I noticed it not much different that the Qur'an. As a matter of fact, I found more similarity than differences. So I decided to read the Torah. Wow, This is almost the same as the Qur'an and the bible I thought. Then after many years of thought, I came to the conclusion that Islam and Christianity were direct derivatives of the Jewish faith.
It suddenly occurred to me that these religions are man-made with tweaks that suited the particular parties.
At the age of 27, I became an atheist. Not easily I mind you. I became depressed and suesidle for a few months. I saw no point of living among the assholes of this world and they outnumbered me 10 to 1 at least.
After seeing a psychiatrist for a few month, a Jewish doctor of all, told me that my depression is not biological. That I was in odds with myself and that I should be comfortable with who I was and there was no medication to help me.
Believe it or not, the very next day, I woke up a new man! never suffered from depression again.
I am 53 now and very active and love life. I Know I only have this one life to live and I take full advantage of it. I try to surround myself with atheists and agnostics and don't get into religious discussions since there is no point as I've made-up my mind that I forever will be an atheist. Not easy at times.
I am an Electrical Engineer by training and love science. I just hope that before I die, science can prove me right or wrong.
Well, enough Blah Blah on my part.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"
Quote from: "viocjit"You was a Muslim , Christian and now you're an Atheist.
Yes. I was born in Iran (not by choice you understand), a Muslim nation as you know. But I never could process the logic behind the theocracy. I kept asking questions and making fun of the answers since childhood. One day, I got beaten up pretty bad and my father decided to ship me off to England when I was 12.
Some of the things I would question where; If you cut a man's hand for stealing, are you not condemning him to a life of crime since he has no hands and can no longer work? If Mohammad became literate after God came to him in Harah cave, why didn't he write the Qur'an himself? Why in Arabic and not in all languages? Why can't I eat bacon? I love bacon. Why did God create the pig if we were not allowed to eat it?
When I went to England, I was bombarded by Christianity. At first, I thought this religion sounds good. Jesus is all about love and love thou neighbor. Later when I read the bible, I noticed it not much different that the Qur'an. As a matter of fact, I found more similarity than differences. So I decided to read the Torah. Wow, This is almost the same as the Qur'an and the bible I thought. Then after many years of thought, I came to the conclusion that Islam and Christianity were direct derivatives of the Jewish faith.
It suddenly occurred to me that these religions are man-made with tweaks that suited the particular parties.
At the age of 27, I became an atheist. Not easily I mind you. I became depressed and suesidle for a few months. I saw no point of living among the assholes of this world and they outnumbered me 10 to 1 at least.
After seeing a psychiatrist for a few month, a Jewish doctor of all, told me that my depression is not biological. That I was in odds with myself and that I should be comfortable with who I was and there was no medication to help me.
Believe it or not, the very next day, I woke up a new man! never suffered from depression again.
I am 53 now and very active and love life. I Know I only have this one life to live and I take full advantage of it. I try to surround myself with atheists and agnostics and don't get into religious discussions since there is no point as I've made-up my mind that I forever will be an atheist. Not easy at times.
I am an Electrical Engineer by training and love science. I just hope that before I die, science can prove me right or wrong.
Well, enough Blah Blah on my part.

Wow - going from Muslim to christian?  That must have been...........well........... complicated.  Or was it not that difficult a shift?  Interesting.

viocjit

Mai Mariarti I can say that I liked read you.

Mai Mariarti

QuoteWow - going from Muslim to christian?  That must have been...........well........... complicated.  Or was it not that difficult a shift?  Interesting.
Well, at first I was afraid because converting from Islam to any other religion is punishable by death. (what a surprise there?)
But it was the brainwashing that took the longest to overcome. So many years of being told that infidels are inferior and that God would punish me if I strayed. I was waiting for a disaster at any moment (being struck by lighting, getting killed by fanatics, etc...) but that is the most distressing part of brainwashing. All religions are a form of terrorism. I was programmed and re-programming took a few years.
The odd part about it is, I am glad I went through these experiences, and did learn a lot about my own short comings and what these cults do to people. I feel privileged to have had such a terrible experience. Now that's odd! but it made me and my beliefs stronger. I know it sounds like a cliche, but I can't help that.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"
QuoteWow - going from Muslim to christian?  That must have been...........well........... complicated.  Or was it not that difficult a shift?  Interesting.
Well, at first I was afraid because converting from Islam to any other religion is punishable by death. (what a surprise there?)
But it was the brainwashing that took the longest to overcome. So many years of being told that infidels are inferior and that God would punish me if I strayed. I was waiting for a disaster at any moment (being struck by lighting, getting killed by fanatics, etc...) but that is the most distressing part of brainwashing. All religions are a form of terrorism. I was programmed and re-programming took a few years.
The odd part about it is, I am glad I went through these experiences, and did learn a lot about my own short comings and what these cults do to people. I feel privileged to have had such a terrible experience. Now that's odd! but it made me and my beliefs stronger. I know it sounds like a cliche, but I can't help that.

If I may ask - what belief(s) are stronger?

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"Hi every body,
I've been an Atheist for the past 30 Years and I was comfortable with that and never sought acknowledgment for my beliefs. I figured, I am what I am and my beliefs are private. However, recently, I've come to question my sanity! Am I crazy or is the rest of the world crazy to believe in an imaginary God? If so, what chance do I have against all these crazy people who believe in all sorts of mambo-jumbo rituals?
Before I became an Atheist, I was a Christian and before that, I was a Muslim. I find religion to be obscene with a touch of duplicity and our belief in an imaginary God, Well, Imaginary.
Have I lost it all together? If so, How go I get back to being a sheep again and oblivious to what's real and what its not, just to feel good about myself and have a purpose again? Be it a false one.
The way it stands, I don't believe in anything super natural or magical. I laugh at the notion of miracles.  
Is there something wrong with me? People tell me that I am a philosopher who will forever be depressed and lost in thought! Is this what I am looking forward to for the rest of my remaining life? If so, why should I continue to suffer in this insane world?
I can prove God is a lie through logic alone, but how will that make the world a better place?
I am not a troll. Just want some answers from fellow atheists whom I am sure had to tackle these questions on their own at some point.

You're not crazy.

Explain to me again....why do you want to be ignorant? Do you think that will make you happier?
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges