Hate NASCAR but will watch this one time.

Started by Brian37, February 18, 2013, 06:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Yea a lot of first (and only) time winners at both Daytona and Talladega.

Yep, like that Christer dude from last year or the year before. Won Daytona in his first ever 500 as a rookie and is still only a part timer spending most of his time in Nationwide without much success in Sprint Cup.

* Trevor Bayne in 2011
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Brian37

Yea but it isn't about her sex. Seriously there are 30 some odd drivers and only 2 pole positions and rarely does a pole win. Not to mention all the other drivers she beat. Not to mention all the races where men beat other men. Not to mention other male drivers with worse records or dont even qualify. It still amounts to skill. She did the work and win or lose she still has done way better than many other drivers over a career.

If the field were long term 50%  over a long sample rate you would see that gender would have nothing to do with it.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

aitm

I am disappoint that a thread that should have been titled "Danica wins pole" shows very little.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Brian37

Quote from: "aitm"I am disappoint that a thread that should have been titled "Danica wins pole" shows very little.

Hardy har har..........I am quite sure lots of straight guys want to give her the pole.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

C172

What sort of Polish guys are there for her to win?

I'm not gay, but am an atheist who does enjoy NASCAR. So, at least I'm semi-weird.

I like the new look. It isn't that dramatic, but the bodywork is a lot more interesting, whether or not it achieves the mandate of sort of looking like a Camry, or Ford, or Chevy SS (do they even use those yet? They were just unveiled recently).

From what little I've seen, the '13 cars seem a bit more squirrely than in the past. Kind of hard to control. But it has been great fun to watch. I still prefer Rolex Series, the sports cars and prototypes that use all road courses, including Daytona's roval set-up.

I'm not sure I'll be around for the 500, but I look forward to hearing how it goes. Go, Junior!

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "C172"I'm not sure I'll be around for the 500, but I look forward to hearing how it goes. Go, Junior!
The 500 happens to take place on the same day as my boyfriend's birthday this year, so it's very doubtful I'll get to watch it. I will make sure to keep tabs on it by texting people I know will be watching, though.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "C172"What sort of Polish guys are there for her to win?

I'm not gay, but am an atheist who does enjoy NASCAR. So, at least I'm semi-weird.

I like the new look. It isn't that dramatic, but the bodywork is a lot more interesting, whether or not it achieves the mandate of sort of looking like a Camry, or Ford, or Chevy SS (do they even use those yet? They were just unveiled recently).

From what little I've seen, the '13 cars seem a bit more squirrely than in the past. Kind of hard to control. But it has been great fun to watch. I still prefer Rolex Series, the sports cars and prototypes that use all road courses, including Daytona's roval set-up.

I'm not sure I'll be around for the 500, but I look forward to hearing how it goes. Go, Junior!
I watched some of the race Saturday night. They were having trouble passing for the lead. Aero issue with the new cars.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

The Skeletal Atheist

^ I really wish they would stick to one car for a while.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Shiranu"As boring as I find NASCAR, it does take skill and it is science, so I have to respect it.
I do enjoy watching the occasional bit of NASCAR but it's far from the pinnacle of motorsport technology or skill really. There have been some interesting developments in it though.

Bobby_Ouroborus

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "wolf39us"Meh, they're taking another left turn!  They're taking another left turn!

I wonder what's gonna happen next!
I would propose a more interesting variation for NASCAR, a straight track of 3 miles with no turns in the track itself.  A lap would consist of a run to the end of the track, doing a 180, and racing back to the start.  There could be 100 laps in the race.  They wouldn't have to actually build new tracks for this.  They could simply use runways at major airports, and race while planes were landing.

This would open NASCAR to new locations around the country, and make NASCAR available to a larger segment of the population.

Maybe they could put gun turrets on their vehicles too and shoot at each other. Now that would be exciting

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "Shiranu"As boring as I find NASCAR, it does take skill and it is science, so I have to respect it.
I do enjoy watching the occasional bit of NASCAR but it's far from the pinnacle of motorsport technology or skill really. There have been some interesting developments in it though.
And anyone with an modicum of interest in motorsports knows it was never intended to be the pinnacle of motorsport. I can't but help to chuckle at the people in this thread that attempt to compare NASCAR cup racing to Formula 1. It is almost like they don't have a clue that modern F1 car is a neutered cream puff version of what it could be. I mean hell they have sanctioned cheating (DRS) just so people can pass.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"And anyone with an modicum of interest in motorsports knows it was never intended to be the pinnacle of motorsport. I can't but help to chuckle at the people in this thread that attempt to compare NASCAR cup racing to Formula 1. It is almost like they don't have a clue that modern F1 car is a neutered cream puff version of what it could be. I mean hell they have sanctioned cheating (DRS) just so people can pass.
Yeah I know. NASCAR's not really my cup of tea but I do watch it on occasion, it's pretty much limited to highlights on youtube every now and then though, as NASCAR gets next to no coverage in the UK. It may be on subscription channels but I wouldn't know. I'd watch it a bit more if I could.

Although it's not that technologically advanced, the performance seen without even fuel injection were pretty impressive, and I do really like the aero devices that pop up off of the rooves of the cars in the event of an incident to stabilise the vehicle.

I do think that vehicle regulations should be less restrictive in F1, it has gotten to the point of completely stifling innovation eg. reactive ride height systems being prohibited despite originally being allowed to be developed. I must say that this past season has had some absolutely amazing racing and the tyre compounds and management balance is spot-on. I do understand that regulations are to preserve competitiveness, but I do think that there should still be scope for innovation. I don't even have a problem with DRS systems per se, but I do think that their use shouldn't be restricted if they are to be allowed on the cars. Ultimately though, it is difficult to get the balance between allowing for innovation and keeping the racing competitive and exciting right, and despite the cars not being quite as mental as they should/could be, I did really enjoy this season's racing.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"And anyone with an modicum of interest in motorsports knows it was never intended to be the pinnacle of motorsport. I can't but help to chuckle at the people in this thread that attempt to compare NASCAR cup racing to Formula 1. It is almost like they don't have a clue that modern F1 car is a neutered cream puff version of what it could be. I mean hell they have sanctioned cheating (DRS) just so people can pass.
Yeah I know. NASCAR's not really my cup of tea but I do watch it on occasion, it's pretty much limited to highlights on youtube every now and then though, as NASCAR gets next to no coverage in the UK. It may be on subscription channels but I wouldn't know. I'd watch it a bit more if I could.

Although it's not that technologically advanced, the performance seen without even fuel injection were pretty impressive, and I do really like the aero devices that pop up off of the rooves of the cars in the event of an incident to stabilise the vehicle.

I do think that vehicle regulations should be less restrictive in F1, it has gotten to the point of completely stifling innovation eg. reactive ride height systems being prohibited despite originally being allowed to be developed. I must say that this past season has had some absolutely amazing racing and the tyre compounds and management balance is spot-on. I do understand that regulations are to preserve competitiveness, but I do think that there should still be scope for innovation. I don't even have a problem with DRS systems per se, but I do think that their use shouldn't be restricted if they are to be allowed on the cars. Ultimately though, it is difficult to get the balance between allowing for innovation and keeping the racing competitive and exciting right, and despite the cars not being quite as mental as they should/could be, I did really enjoy this season's racing.

Indy car came up with a pretty good system like the DRS that seems more balanced and fair with their push to pass button. It's a button on the steering wheel that gives the car a shot of extra horsepower that has basically the same effect. They can use it at anytime on the track, though it takes X number of seconds to reload that I think works out to basically once in a lap, and they each have a set number for the entire race. The car in front would be allowed to use it defensively if they want.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

SilentFutility

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"It's a button on the steering wheel that gives the car a shot of extra horsepower that has basically the same effect. They can use it at anytime on the track, though it takes X number of seconds to reload that I think works out to basically once in a lap, and they each have a set number for the entire race. The car in front would be allowed to use it defensively if they want.
How exactly does it work?

Formula 1 has KERS (Kinetic Energy Regeneration System), which doesn't sound too dissimilar.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"It's a button on the steering wheel that gives the car a shot of extra horsepower that has basically the same effect. They can use it at anytime on the track, though it takes X number of seconds to reload that I think works out to basically once in a lap, and they each have a set number for the entire race. The car in front would be allowed to use it defensively if they want.
How exactly does it work?

Formula 1 has KERS (Kinetic Energy Regeneration System), which doesn't sound too dissimilar.

I think it basically injects extra fuel for like 5 seconds upping the horsepower. That makes it involve the team's fuel strategy, too.

I don't think Indy has near the problem with passing as F1 does. For one, half the races are on ovals, and because of that there's a lot wider range of skill on road courses.