Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 30, 2017, 03:35:32 PM
When propane was a hot idea the joke was "Where's the nearest propane filling station?" "Don't care, we can just fart into the tank."

This is why propane is better for stationary users ... like homes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: Atheon on July 30, 2017, 07:34:47 AM
One plausible solution to long charges is swapping out batteries at fuel stations.
From what I understand, with the earlier Tesla models, the batteries were made to fit below the entire floor of the passenger compartment thus making the swapping of batteries a fairly major job. Definitely not something to roll in an do in 30 minutes without an appointment.. I would expect they went a similar route with this model.

However I believe those earlier models are able to charge in about 30-45 minutes at a quick-charge station. This model has increased range which would suggest additional battery capacity and therefore longer charge times, but with Tesla its hard to say.

The bottom line is a cross-country trip in an electric car is possible right now. But you can't go just anywhere. You need to plan your route and you need to plan on stopping for an hour or so about every 4 hours. That's not a whole lot different than the way many people travel now. But those who like to do long trips by piling in the car and driving straight through for 16 hours only stopping long enough to refill the gas tank are going to be disappointed.

The real important question is still the same as it always was. How long does the battery pack last and what will it cost to replace. A $40k Tesla is certainly a ground-breaking thing. But if the batteries only last 5 years and cost $20k to replace, that's really going to kick the ass out of any resale value.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

Battery location?  Must have stolen the plans from Chrysler.  When they first designed the Abrams tank, you had to pull out the entire engine to get to the damn oil filter!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Batteries under the car are to save trunk space.  If that is a premium, I guess that's the compromise.  I'd have to envision a cumbersome time consuming lift or a waiting room full of annoyed people thumbing through magazines, while their batteries get charged.  Imagine buying a car without a trunk.  That's going to cripple sales.  People that can afford a Tesla won't be affected by hard to replace batteries.  They are probably going to trade if off anyway.  Once every five years for a four hour battery replacement isn't a huge inconvenience, certainly no more so than a valve job.  But that leaves us with the problem of charging time.  My driving habits of the past involved all nighters to get to some distant location, and it would drive me nuts having to kill time in a restaurant or library.  I guess I'd have to adjust.  On, the horror!

I guess we aren't quite there yet.

Gawdzilla Sama

Just drop the bottom of the car, then push it over the fresh batteries and use a lift to put them in place. Done intelligently that would be a ten minute operation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2017, 12:41:00 PM
Just drop the bottom of the car, then push it over the fresh batteries and use a lift to put them in place. Done intelligently that would be a ten minute operation.
There may be a future for you with Tesla.

AllPurposeAtheist

I have a hunch there has never been nor will there ever be a plan in place to build affordable electric cars for the masses. Another thing people forget is all that electricity has to originate somewhere so even if there are charging stations coast to coast there still has to be giant electrical generating plants spewing out the same old pollutant, just more of them closer together. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 31, 2017, 01:01:31 PM
There may be a future for you with Tesla.
If they haven't considered this already I don't want to work there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 31, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
Another thing people forget is all that electricity has to originate somewhere so even if there are charging stations coast to coast there still has to be giant electrical generating plants spewing out the same old pollutant, just more of them closer together. 
I don't think anyone forgets that. Especially those who currently own and drive these things. A quick search of google will reveal that many who are currently driving electric cars can tell you to the penny what it costs them to run and can also tell you to the penny what it cost them to run the gasoline powered car their electric car replaced.

Most of the reports I've read show that the electric vehicle is somewhere around 5x-10x less expensive to fuel than an equivalent gasoline powered vehicle. That's not to say that paying $8 instead of $40 in order to get the car another couple hundred miles down the road means the car is necessarily 5x-10x more efficient nor that it has 5x-10x less detrimental impact on the environment. But $8 per fillup is still $8 per fillup. And it stands to reason that if you're paying that much less for the energy required, its probably somewhat more efficient overall and probably more green.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: Johan on July 31, 2017, 07:03:21 PMMost of the reports I've read show that the electric vehicle is somewhere around 5x-10x less expensive to fuel than an equivalent gasoline powered vehicle.
From what I've read, it's usually more like half as much, though it can vary depending on a bunch of factors and I have no doubt that 5x is possible when the price of gas is high.

But a buck saved is a buck saved.  And it goes without saying that every ton of carbon not spewed into the atmosphere helps.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on July 31, 2017, 07:03:21 PM
I don't think anyone forgets that.
Baruch likes being sanctimonious.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 31, 2017, 03:26:52 PM
I have a hunch there has never been nor will there ever be a plan in place to build affordable electric cars for the masses. Another thing people forget is all that electricity has to originate somewhere so even if there are charging stations coast to coast there still has to be giant electrical generating plants spewing out the same old pollutant, just more of them closer together.

I thought our Fuhrer was going to give all the Volk, free Volkswagen beetles ;-)

You can get your electricity without burning carbon.  Claims as to how cheap or expensive that will be ... lets have Venezuela try it first since they seem to be expendable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2017, 12:41:00 PM

That is how the first H-bombs were loaded into the bombers, because the bomb was initially so big.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2017, 09:29:09 PM
Baruch likes being sanctimonious.

I don't have to pray whether my extension cord will reach my Volt or not ... don't have one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.