Math Geeks? Can You Solve this? Seems Easy, But I've No Clue.

Started by SGOS, June 29, 2017, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 05:32:56 PM
None of that is how the weather works, and conjoining math to it makes it doubly not work.

The confusion isn't the math, it is understanding what the weather forecast means.  You can have a 100% rain forecast and stay dry.  It just means it rained all around you.  When I was young, I saw it raining across the street and we never got a drop in my yard.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sorginak

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 05:39:00 PM
The confusion isn't the math, it is understanding what the weather forecast means.  You can have a 100% rain forecast and stay dry.  It just means it rained all around you.  When I was young, I saw it raining across the street and we never got a drop in my yard.

It's probably more accurate depending on where one lives.  Florida, Washington state, any area along the coast probably receives rain more accurately with the percentage provided on the weather channel.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 05:43:52 PM
It's probably more accurate depending on where one lives.  Florida, Washington state, any area along the coast probably receives rain more accurately with the percentage provided on the weather channel.
Some places are easier to forecast than others/  Wahington DC is notoriously difficult.  We get the Bermuda Highs coming up the coast, jet stream variations from the North, and standard weather coming over the Appalachians fro the west.

We have a routine joke here about shoveling 12" of" rain" off our driveways in January.

aitm

It's all relative. 10% chance of rain over your house....100% chance of rain over amurica.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on August 26, 2017, 07:59:10 PM
It's all relative. 10% chance of rain over your house....100% chance of rain over amurica.

Some people don't understand the breadth of weather systems.  If I recall correctly, a British political reporter, used to having a single weather system covering all of Britain at once, forecast the voting in the 1964 US presidential election being depressed because he was in NYC and it was raining.

And along the same idea, Americans think 200 years is a long time while Europeans think 200 miles is a long distance...

Unbeliever

There's a 50% chance of rain - either it will rain or it won't...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 31, 2017, 02:29:18 PM
There's a 50% chance of rain - either it will rain or it won't...

But it also means likely to rain "SOMEWHERE" in the area.

Cavebear

And there is another thing to keep in mind.  The odds of rain change by day.  Today was 50%.  But the odds of it raining on day 2 will change overnight.  And the odds of it raining on day 3 are even less certain. 

As a gardener, if there were 50, 40, and 30% chances of rain in successive days and my garden meter said the soil at root level was "dry", I would water deeply day 1.