News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

when God shows up

Started by Drich0150, June 28, 2017, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Even the phrase in the title is nonsensical. When God shows up? Isn't God supposed to be omnipresent? How could he show up to a place he's already been? If his presence can be "felt" only some of the times, what does that say? Most likely, it says that your experiences of God's "presence" are emotional, all in your head, based on the power of suggestion. Those experiences are temporary because emotions are temporary. You don't see him "move" constantly because convenient coincidences that you give God credit for only happen rarely.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 02, 2017, 01:14:08 AM
Even the phrase in the title is nonsensical. When God shows up? Isn't God supposed to be omnipresent? How could he show up to a place he's already been? If his presence can be "felt" only some of the times, what does that say? Most likely, it says that your experiences of God's "presence" are emotional, all in your head, based on the power of suggestion. Those experiences are temporary because emotions are temporary. You don't see him "move" constantly because convenient coincidences that you give God credit for only happen rarely.

Per Heraclitus .... everything is temporary.  Per Parmenides ... anything temporary is illusion.  Most people here follow Parmenides ... a S Italian-Greek theurgic priest ... and the originator of logic.  Most men can't deal with emotions, they can deal with the truth.  Perhaps women can't deal with the truth, but they can deal with emotions?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 02, 2017, 12:28:20 AM
You have yet to take me seriously ... seriously!

I have said, we are dead now.  Of course that has meaning on multiple levels, but literalists can't think that way, either theists or atheists.

What I do believe is that materialism underplays what life is like, it violates Einstein's rule of "make things as simple as possible but no simpler".  Over simplification happens in theology too.  Whatever reality might be, and I make no claims to know what it might be ... it seems to me to operate on multiple levels at the same time.  Also we must cease at least in contemplation ... as to this linear time we inherited from the Medieval monks (that is why the mechanical clock was invented).  "Now" encompasses all time .. aka it is "eternity".  We are in "eternity" ... "now" ... aka eschaton, aka the living dead.  Because no person can encounter G-d and live .. and we are in the presence of G-d, so we must be dead.

This is rather important to me right now, I just composed and led the memorial for my mother today, who died on Tuesday.  One purpose of a Jewish funeral is "l'Chaim" or "to life".  My dad and mom are both here and not here.  And I suspect I am also here and not here as well.  In ancient Celtic lore, human death was birth to true life, hence the "wake".  Death is all about life, and life is all about death.  Don't try to think of them as two, but as one.  This is so appropriate to this string ... and the OP doesn't know of what he speaks ... but he will ... someday.
First, you have my heart felt sympathy--no, empathy, for I, too, have lost both my parents.  Inevitable, but painful nonetheless.

And I agree with most of what you said--subtract the 'god' crap, and I do.  Not only is life and death interlaced, but the 'now' is eternal.  I also think time is not the same; we live our lives to different clocks every day.  Some of my days flash by and some parts drag.  Some days are a flash and others go on for days.  But each is 'now' and forever.  What is real?  I don't know what actual reality is, but I do know that I fashion my 'reality' to be what I'd like it to be.  But I am not in total control of that, for the reality that surrounds me 'out' there intrudes upon the reality that is internal.  I influence both spheres to one degree or another, but fully control neither.  But I do think the real reality of death is being dead, which is being nothing.  Even though life and death are interlaced, death is not life; some life can spring from death, for that is the cycle of nature; death and decay lead to new life, and is needed for life. 

So, Baruch, subtract the god stuff, and we pretty much see things the same way.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cavebear

I smile about "when" god shows up.  The assumption is like "when" unicorns show up...  What isn't going to happen doesn't concern me.  But it can sure make some chuckles...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: pr126 on June 30, 2017, 04:46:44 AM
But the meme must be passed on, propagated. Otherwise it will cease to exist.
At least they don’t kill you if you reject it like the other cult that must not be named.

Well, mostly they don't - not anymore. But they will as soon as they can get enough power again. And they will - soon.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Drich0150

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 01, 2017, 01:45:19 PM
You are a fucking liar.  You do nothing but attack--you seem to be fully in love with your fangs and claws .  You are the poster child--especially since your line of thought is so childlike --of the stupid, vapid, arrogant, dogmatic, nasty, ugly person who is the worst of the theists.  You are just too ugly and mean spirited to have anything to do with.

Sorry mike if that's all you see.

But I take rather great effort yo match timber and tone of the conversation to each person I deal with. so If i seem overly agressive that is because I have matched or exceeded your aggression. On the opposite end of the spectrum "Wendy" girl asked me to reconcile the old and new testament respectfully... and I again matched he efforts to keep the conversation civil.

I have been doing this for a very long time and some of you guys are like dogs. if you see your self as an alpha you won't/cant respect anything but another alpha. So when you bark I bark louder.. You back down i back down... just read posts not addressed to you should hve given you some clue that I don't treat everyone the same.
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Drich0150

Quote from: fencerider on July 01, 2017, 02:02:13 PM
what happened to god challenging us because we have a false concept of god in our mind?

major contradiction Drich

Nupe.

Loving God how we see fit is an acceptable matter of salvation. one can be saved and never know God. Jesus Himself point this out.

God's challenge to you is to push beyond your comfort to find and ultimately serve Him.

In short you want to be saved... come as you are. You want to be blessed and serve God with power and authority seek God on his terms.

Salvation and Spiritual gifts are two very different things. Paul demonstrates that being gifted with the Spirit is not the same as accepting Jesus' atonement
1Thess 5:21 Question all things and hold on to what is Good. This is a charge meant for those who think themselves Christian. We are to question the foundational as well as the questionable, and hold on to the truth. Because I've done this my answers may be... Different than the typical Christian

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 01, 2017, 03:24:29 PM
boy, there is nothing about you that surprises anyone here. You are just another in a long line of twits that make up excuses for each and every babble verse that science has destroyed. You have no facts, you offer nothing new, just the same tired twisted contortionist style of making up shit to cover your sorry babble. You are not impressive at all.

That's not true. I gave you an extensive and comprehensive explanation to the day two question you asked based in a scientific explanation. But you ignore than and try and go for the collective/cliche' kill. wow, #lazythinker

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 01, 2017, 03:26:42 PM
well of course you did, and I am sure he was destroyed by all the made up lies you have been yappin about here. We are not impressed by your so called "discussion with a legit paleontologist".....right..

what you don't think that paleontologists are apart of these forums? Or at least people who claim to be paleontologist are apart of these forums???

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drich0150 on July 05, 2017, 11:15:51 AM
Sorry mike if that's all you see.

So when you bark I bark louder.. You back down i back down...
Yes, I've noticed that.  That you are a follower not a leader.  And it is clear that you came here for only one reason.  To feed your bloated and oh, so self-centered ego.  You are very good at that, tho. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Drich0150

Quote from: aitm on July 01, 2017, 03:31:27 PM
I have three books of excuses that we are "armed" with to combat you nasty heathens. None of them are true of course, but YOU CAN"T PROVE THAT EITHER YOU ATHEIST TOOLS!! I have the babble and it is somewhat..kinda....if you know how to interpret it right and are trained by those who get paid to teach us...you will know that the babble is the absolute truth if you know how to read between the lines and outside the lines...and under them...and around them....but other than that..its the god spoken trufe!

The bible reads just like any other translated document. what the problem is??? oh, that's right unga bunga, you no like not be able to read literally. unga bunga, you not like to think bout how bible not literary text first write in english... unga bunga unga bunga, make you angry when someone so-posed to be dumber, has 20 year education in 2 foreign language, histroy on at least 2 if not a whole mess more cultural studies on you, because unga bunga it make it hard to seem smarter for you.

No I get it captain cave man. and for all of this you think I lord these things over you, but I don't. even now I simply use my experience to simply remind you, you can't just dismiss me/us off the cuff. why because the bible was written in at least two other languages and comes from a span of different culture. Not that I am a master but each time a culture or different langge is involved you must take into consideration how it changed the contextual translation. (keep in mind there are not litter translations outside of google translate) you ever go on face book and someone posted something in a different language and you can 'translate' and the syntax grammar and verbage is all wrong? that is a literal translation. Most bibles are not a literal translation. it is a contextual translation with a strong effort to be as close to the original text as possible. which means you have to do some digging in the language and culture to have a good grasp on what is being discussed.

...just like another other translated text.

Drich0150

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 02, 2017, 01:14:08 AM
Even the phrase in the title is nonsensical.
first you must unlearn what you have learn... So sure are you..

QuoteWhen God shows up?
When God show up refers to an awareness to God.

QuoteIsn't God supposed to be omnipresent?
even if God is and always been there it doesn't mean you are privy to God.
so from a first person perspective (even if God has been there all along) it woul seem God came from no where to help you.

QuoteHow could he show up to a place he's already been?
Again this was a narrative, based on first person perception. So again even if God always was, from your perspective it will be as if he just showed up, and or vanished as it was with me.

QuoteIf his presence can be "felt" only some of the times, what does that say?
I never mentioned that. Because God is not a feeling.

QuoteMost likely, it says that your experiences of God's "presence" are emotional, all in your head, based on the power of suggestion.
very nice borat, now what if God is not a feeling but send a messenger/man instead.

Those experiences are temporary because emotions are temporary. You don't see him "move" constantly because convenient coincidences that you give God credit for only happen rarely.
did you even read the op before you said anything?

Drich0150

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 05, 2017, 11:31:31 AM
Yes, I've noticed that.  That you are a follower not a leader.  And it is clear that you came here for only one reason.  To feed your bloated and oh, so self-centered ego.  You are very good at that, tho.

in order to lead sometimes one must follow at first.

Baruch

Quote from: Drich0150 on July 05, 2017, 12:06:06 PM
in order to lead sometimes one must follow at first.

Sorry, I don't' think anyone is choosing to follow you.  But yes, one has to be aware of the G-d that is already here/now.  It is a matter of perception.  A materialist has a stilted perception, that everything is ... material.  If all you have is a hammer, then everything must be a nail.  However since perception is partly subjective, partly objective .. there is no possible agreement, except between empirical rationalists.  This excludes the majority of us who are un-empirical irrationalists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.