News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Afterlife

Started by PickelledEggs, June 10, 2013, 07:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I may be the only person here who wants reincarnation.  Sorry, but I just do.  That's something I want to be real - no matter how unproven it is. Why? Cause I'm not done yet.  Too much to do and too much to see.  This surely cannot be all there is.
And not due to some supernatural sky daddy - no - just us returning again and again
Why all the fuss, Bri?  Leave, return, leave, return ...  I'd rather just stay here.  Maybe with an artificial body that doesn't wear out.  Or that can have parts easily replaced as they wear out.  But I'm comfortable with who and what (aside from badly worn) I am, and I'd as soon just keep on being me until I decide that I've seen enough.  Which won't be for at least a few hundred years.  I've been retired for over 3 months now, and I've barely begun to unpack all my hobby stuff.  At this rate I'll need about 10 years just to unpack and get the workshop set up.  (But the tomatoes are doing great.)

Or I could come back young, devilishly handsome, unbelievably wealthy ...

Oh, I woke up.  Back to reality.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Farroc

If we fade into nonexistence, death won't bother any of us in the slightest, because we wouldn't exist.

If we get reincarnated, again death won't bother any of us at all because we wouldn't know we died.

And if we all go to hell for being atheist sinners, we can enjoy some stand up by George Carlin or Bill Hicks, attend a science lecture by Carl Sagan or Albert Einstein, and listen to some music by John Lennon or Billy Joel.

Really, no matter how it goes we win in the end.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

La Dolce Vita

Well, I'm perfectly open to the idea of an afterlife provided there's some evidence for it. Of course any kind of afterlife would be quite likely to be pretty terrible, particularly if you could never check out if you wanted to - so we should probably be happy that all the evidence points to no such thing being possible.

I'm not really scared of dying - given that it's at an old age - but I'd obviously prefer to live for as long as I personally wanted to. This isn't something that makes me depressed or sad - it's more like how you can't eat cake to every meal without gaining weight, getting an upset stomach and possibly developing diabetes, you know, it's just "too bad", but nothing you really lose a lot of sleep over.

And it definitely makes me appreciate every second of my life more. I guess everything would seem pretty insignificant if life just went on forever.

Also, as a Norwegian my generation is expected to have an average life expectancy of around or above 100, and I have pretty great genes - had two great great grandmothers living when I was born - so I'm aiming for 140 - at least.  8-)

And hey, technology is shooting through the roof, they could have made huge advancement in both life-extension and transhumanism by then. Keep your fingers crossed people. Maybe you can get your personality transferred to a computer and can spend the rest of eternity playing ping pong.  :afro:

Johan

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"That is exactly what happens in NDEs. The brain fast forwards one's life-film ending with a white-out with a character holding your hands and taking you through the tunnel before wash-out. I have not experienced an NDE but this is what I deduct from reports and biology when the brain shuts down one center after another to conserve Oxygen, only the thinking facility remains at the last.
I had none of that. I had a ton of thoughts in those seconds. But most of them revolved around me being a fuckup for getting myself into the situation and the consequences that would come because of it.

There was no white light. There was no tunnel. There was no hand. There was a voice though. I definitely heard a voice. It was distant but it was clear. It sounded a lot like my own voice and it was saying fuck over and over. Perhaps that means we can look forward to lots of fornication in the afterlife?  :P
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

I'm open to afterlife too. But, for now I have a real tough time actually believing it is true... although it would be nice and I would like to believe it is true.

This, for me though is the only thing I would rather not get my hopes up over and if it happens and I turn into a floating soul (or a ghost of some kind), I would be pleasently surprised.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I may be the only person here who wants reincarnation.  Sorry, but I just do.  That's something I want to be real - no matter how unproven it is. Why? Cause I'm not done yet.  Too much to do and too much to see.  This surely cannot be all there is.
And not due to some supernatural sky daddy - no - just us returning again and again
Why all the fuss, Bri?  Leave, return, leave, return ...  I'd rather just stay here.  Maybe with an artificial body that doesn't wear out.  Or that can have parts easily replaced as they wear out.  But I'm comfortable with who and what (aside from badly worn) I am, and I'd as soon just keep on being me until I decide that I've seen enough.  Which won't be for at least a few hundred years.  I've been retired for over 3 months now, and I've barely begun to unpack all my hobby stuff.  At this rate I'll need about 10 years just to unpack and get the workshop set up.  (But the tomatoes are doing great.)

Or I could come back young, devilishly handsome, unbelievably wealthy ...

Oh, I woke up.  Back to reality.

Common - we all know 1/2 my head lives in a fantasy 50% of the time.   lol
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

Are you also half assed from riding your broom too much? Yikes! I just turned into a toad with warts and all. God help me!  :twisted:  He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"Are you also half assed from riding your broom too much? Yikes! I just turned into a toad with warts and all. God help me!  :twisted:  He! He! Solitary

Yes.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

WitchSabrina

I know there's no proof of an afterlife  and I'm not even interested in some god playing a role in one.   Just want to think that there's more than just this one trip here.  Like I said - probably cause I've not accomplished or done everything I want to do in this lifetime.  The world's too fascinating to think this is all there is.
Nope.   I'm comin back - if only to haunt some of you just for kicks.

lol

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"Well, I'm perfectly open to the idea of an afterlife provided there's some evidence for it. Of course any kind of afterlife would be quite likely to be pretty terrible, particularly if you could never check out if you wanted to - so we should probably be happy that all the evidence points to no such thing being possible.

I'm not really scared of dying - given that it's at an old age - but I'd obviously prefer to live for as long as I personally wanted to. This isn't something that makes me depressed or sad - it's more like how you can't eat cake to every meal without gaining weight, getting an upset stomach and possibly developing diabetes, you know, it's just "too bad", but nothing you really lose a lot of sleep over.

And it definitely makes me appreciate every second of my life more. I guess everything would seem pretty insignificant if life just went on forever.

Also, as a Norwegian my generation is expected to have an average life expectancy of around or above 100, and I have pretty great genes - had two great great grandmothers living when I was born - so I'm aiming for 140 - at least.  8-)

And hey, technology is shooting through the roof, they could have made huge advancement in both life-extension and transhumanism by then. Keep your fingers crossed people. Maybe you can get your personality transferred to a computer and can spend the rest of eternity playing ping pong.  :afro:

good post

Solitary

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "Solitary"Are you also half assed from riding your broom too much? Yikes! I just turned into a toad with warts and all. God help me!  :twisted:  He! He! Solitary

Yes.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:
[ Image ]

Thanks God! Or was it my friend that made her hit the tree?  :twisted:   :-$  Solitary

Solitary

:-k  I didn't exist before I was born---or did I? How would I know I didn't? If I didn't before is a fact, why is it not possible I could again and again and again just like before? The universe has no boundary and just is with no beginning or end so is eternal, so if that is so, maybe every sub atomic particle that can't be destroyed that got arranged to make me can do it again.  :shock:  Solitary

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary":-k  I didn't exist before I was born---or did I? How would I know I didn't? If I didn't before is a fact, why is it not possible I could again and again and again just like before? The universe has no boundary and just is with no beginning or end so is eternal, so if that is so, maybe every sub atomic particle that can't be destroyed that got arranged to make me can do it again.  :shock:  Solitary
Gould said that if we rewound everything and did it all over again it would turn out differently.  He was talking about evolution, but it applies here too.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Farroc

I plan to become a cyborg. And that's not a joke, it's a serious prediction. I mean, I easily have at least another 60 years in me naturally, and by then technology and bioengineering will have advanced so much cyborgism will have become the norm. Probably. Unless we all blow ourselves up first.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Solitary

It wouldn't work even if it did. The population will be so large and the supply of fresh water so low everyone will be fighting for a drop to drink---that is if you can find any food to eat---outside of soylent green.  :shock:   8-[   :-$  Solitary