News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

question about atheist book

Started by nemo, June 16, 2013, 06:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemo

Hello everybody
i'm new here but in fact on this moment i only have one question. Out of interest i was searching the net for some information about Tolstoj's view on the meaning of life. I than came across this video on youtube about some adventist, Clifford Goldstein, who has a lot of lecture vids on youtube. But in fact im interested in the atheist book he quotes in the end of the video. Does somebody know what the title and who the author is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwHpfheMIbQ

He starts talking about it around 35:06.

Thanks!

PS: Nice site. I've already viewed some interesting topics and enjoyed some of the jokes in the entertainment forum, athough my english isn't that good.

Sal1981

Sounds like either a book by Lawrence M. Krauss or Peter Atkins, although that's just a long shot, since Lawrence Krauss is a theoretical physicist and Peter Atkins is a chemist.

I'm more inclined to think he's talking out his ass when he talks about antidepressants and whatnot.

Colanth

An atheist who writes books that mock Dawkins?  Probably someone he made up for the purpose of having something to talk about.

BTW, do you know the name of the person who discovered that we could deliberately plant seeds of plants we wanted more of?  Do you know the names of anyone who knew him?

Did his discovery make any lasting difference?

Goldstein's point is nonsense.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

Hard core atheist who mocks Dawkins puts him at the extreme end of atheism, and I have not read anything resembling this. I doubt it's Krauss, because Dawkins wrote a foreword in one of his books. The guy might be BSing, since he didn't name an author.

Plu

I have no idea about the book, but it's generally telling when people don't mention the source. Especially someone with a clear agenda.

That said, it's not a very strange sentiment; there's probably a lot of people who think like the mentioned quote. But it's probably a simplistic view of the world.

Brian37

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Colanth

Quote from: "Plu"there's probably a lot of people who think like the mentioned quote. But it's probably a simplistic view of the world.
It's a simplistic Christian view of atheism - that in our belief-system, nothing we can do has any lasting value.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Plu

That, too. It's pretty much just nihilism. But the fact that a nihilist is atheist is pretty much irrelevant; the two are not connected. Your can have theistic nihilists as well.