News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

There is no God PERIOD

Started by Ro3bert, February 01, 2017, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godis

Thank God for mathematical and physical constants that we don't fully understand or mostly take for granted (pi, natural logarithm, c, Planck constant, Bohr magneton and radius, Boltzmann constant, gas constants, etc.).  You want proof of order and design?  Look at them first because without them, there would be no discussion.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Godis on February 10, 2017, 03:39:09 PM
Gawdzilla (love the name!),
You're like a lot of people I know who think everything is about them;  It's not all about you. 
Bullshit.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on February 06, 2017, 11:26:00 PM
It's a good thing too. Otherwise your gutts would be full of poop.

Only semi-poop.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 12:46:27 AM
sdelsolray,
You try to confuse the issues and try to prove how smart you are by throwing words out related to psychology (cognitive dissonance, projection, compartmentalization, etc.).    Yawning excessively.   You sound like a second semester college psychology student.  Did you even make it that far?   Next you'll be trying to make clinical diagnoses that you're no where near being qualified to do.  Not fooled by your ignorance.
Not fooled by yours at all.  In fact, you ignorance is so profound that it moves over into the stupid column.  Ignorance can be fixed--stupidity cannot.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Calls everyone else ignorant. Offers no facts to support his assertions. Surely, this is the work of a true genius. All must bow down to his superior intellect.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 11, 2017, 10:02:12 AM
Calls everyone else ignorant. Offers no facts to support his assertions. Surely, this is the work of a true genius. All must bow down to his superior intellect.
And he just has to BOHICA.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

sdelsolray

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 12:46:27 AM
sdelsolray,
You try to confuse the issues and try to prove how smart you are by throwing words out related to psychology (cognitive dissonance, projection, compartmentalization, etc.).    Yawning excessively.   You sound like a second semester college psychology student.  Did you even make it that far?   Next you'll be trying to make clinical diagnoses that you're no where near being qualified to do.  Not fooled by your ignorance.

Sure thing, Sparky.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 12:46:27 AMYou sound like a second semester college psychology student.   
I can picture you as "pre-seminary school", meaning you're still going to Sunday School.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Evangelicals should pass the gom jabbar test of Mother Superior ... before they enter Fight Club:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQMWZHiQVQ

Reminds me of when I spilled concentrated sulphuric acid on my hand, in HS chemistry class ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Godis on February 11, 2017, 06:25:27 AM
Thank God for mathematical and physical constants that we don't fully understand or mostly take for granted (pi, natural logarithm, c, Planck constant, Bohr magneton and radius, Boltzmann constant, gas constants, etc.).  You want proof of order and design?  Look at them first because without them, there would be no discussion.
What a novel idea! Order proves design! Your intellect is so superior, Kahn, I don't know what I was thinking before! But please tell me, oh teacher of mathematics, what you would expect to see if there was no designer?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 11, 2017, 02:09:14 PM
What a novel idea! Order proves design! Your intellect is so superior, Kahn, I don't know what I was thinking before! But please tell me, oh teacher of mathematics, what you would expect to see if there was no designer?

The chaos of statisticians ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

doorknob

I don't know about a design but as for a godlike plan there appears to be none.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Godis on February 10, 2017, 06:58:01 PM
Widdershins,
Do you get points on this site for name-calling?  In any case, I firmly believe Heaven will be Hell for an unbeliever, and you're not even close to being in Hell yet!  Just imagine if you are reduced to spirit only and that your spirit only senses the absence or presence of God.  If would be the ultimate gnashing of teeth or the pain of a burning fire to know you will never ever know God or be in His presence!   Naw, this isn't the Hell you're messing with.
I've heard people say, as you seem to be saying, that hell is merely a separation from God, but according to Psalm 139:7-8, no such separation from God is possible, not even in hell:
QuoteWhither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Drew_2017

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2017, 10:27:35 PM
That explains it. lol

Who is God? Ask a novelist, and they'll say he's like a writer, and history is his work of art.

Ask a mechanic, and they'll say he is like an engineer who fine-tuned the universe.

Ask an artist, and they'll say that God is like a painter, and they'll say that the beauty of creation is his work.

So you believe that the universe is merely a simulation? I've seen that idea floating around before. I would not call the creator of this simulation a "god," though. If someone created this world as a simulation, they are likely not very different from us. It may be possible that we could do the same ourselves, once technology has advanced enough.

No I don't believe the world is merely a simulation however I do think its a created reality as opposed to another plane of existence which could be described as real reality. Correct me if wrong at this time the consensus among scientists is that the universe and time came into existence about 13.5 billion years ago. At the very least (if true) time and the laws of physics as we know them didn't always exist but began to exist in its present form. The available evidence suggests the universe emerged from a singularity of infinite density and temperature. 

Singularity
See also: Gravitational singularity and Planck epoch

Extrapolation of the expansion of the universe backwards in time using general relativity yields an infinite density and temperature at a finite time in the past.[13] This singularity indicates that general relativity is not an adequate description of the laws of physics in this regime. How closely models based on general relativity alone can be used to extrapolate toward the singularity is debatedâ€"certainly no closer than the end of the Planck epoch.

If true the singularity isn't anything we are familiar with and not subject to any known laws of physics. It defies the laws we do know of. I don't know of any evidence that forces we are familiar with are capable of causing a universe to exist. Doesn't this seem to contradict the notion its natural forces all the way down? My belief in theism is due to known facts. 
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Drew_2017

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 11, 2017, 03:58:49 AM
Going backwards infinitely, seems to me to be an irrational premise. Something along the lines of "God is outside of space-time." It's just fantasy shit. Like all natural things, the universe has a beginning.

For obvious reasons, the prime mover, may forever remain lost to pre-history. So, do you see this void in our current knowledge as a convenient little cubby-hole, to hide your invisible God in?

No because I don't point to that void in our knowledge instead I list 6 known irrefutable facts to support my belief in theism. I don't want to repast them as I've already been accused of using the same material. However, if the universe did begin to exist either it was caused to exist (by something by necessity outside the laws of physics we are familiar with) or it came into existence un-caused out of nothing which sounds like a miracle event.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0