News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

There is no God PERIOD

Started by Ro3bert, February 01, 2017, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew_2017

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

SGOS

Quote from: fencerider on February 06, 2017, 11:26:00 PM
It's a good thing too. Otherwise your gutts would be full of poop.

With a semi-colon, they're only half full.

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 08, 2017, 05:56:42 AM
1+1=2

Another kibitz from Pythagoras, the ancient Greek hippie leader ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 08, 2017, 11:22:51 AM
What's your naturalistic explanation that accounts for how the universe came into existence and what evidence do you offer in support of that explanation? By saying you won't accept anything but naturalistic explanations just says that your mind is closed on this matter.

Even a finite universe doesn't need anything outside itself to cause it.  Outside of the universe, there is no time or space.  In the outer world the universe is a point, and it never changes, from that perspective.  Without temporal time, any notion of cause/effect is meaningless.  What is outside the universe may be a-temporal aka eternal ... but then there is no cause/effect to reference to.

Now if you want to speak of atemporal logic, then that is the same as regular propositional logic (not predicate logic, where you have quantification aka All Of, Some Of, None Of).  Of course this predicate logic might not be two valued, the law of excluded middle might not apply.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Resisting the urge to start a thread: There is no God FULL STOP.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 08, 2017, 03:04:06 PM
Resisting the urge to start a thread: There is no God FULL STOP.
Stop resisting.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Resistance is futile.
             -The Borg

doorknob

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 08, 2017, 11:22:51 AM
What's your naturalistic explanation that accounts for how the universe came into existence and what evidence do you offer in support of that explanation? By saying you won't accept anything but naturalistic explanations just says that your mind is closed on this matter.

god of the gaps. Just because I don't know doesn't mean you get to say god did it. My mind is closed? That's a hoot! How bout your mind is so open your brains fell right out onto the pavement.

I can't prove my mind is open to you. You can't see inside my head or know my thought processes with out asking me any more than I can say that you're mind is closed on this matter.

the most valuable and telling answer to this question will see where your mind set is.

"What would it take to make you believe there is no god?"

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 08, 2017, 05:01:46 PM
Resistance is futile.
             -The Borg
Resistance is feral.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on February 07, 2017, 11:16:11 PMRemember the title of this thread is 'There is no God PERIOD'. That doesn't sound like someone uncertain of their claim.

And judging by another thread's title here, we wish mass suicide upon all Christians too.

You're the one claiming that the thing that caused the universe was intelligent and had a personality. It's much more likely that any "creator" was unintelligent, and just another natural system doing its thing. Unless you can solve the mind/body problem that has plagued theists for centuries, an intelligent being without a brain or physical body has never been demonstrated before, and likely does not exist.

The most likely reality is that there are an infinite number of universes, covering every possibility. We just so happen to live within one of an infinite number of life-supporting universes. An intelligent creator is not necessary to explain the universe or life. If anything, it just adds unnecessary complications.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Multiple universe theory and pre-Big Bang theory are untestable.  These ideas came about, because Feynman is right, that anyone who claims to understand quantum mechanics, doesn't.  Also theories about what will happen a million or more years from now are untestable.  If it is untestable, like theology, then it isn't science.  But in spite of those limitations, there is still plenty of science to do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Drew_2017

To widdershins

QuoteThis is where you go off track.  You said to "imagine being inside a tube".  I'm there.  I see a point three inches away.  I have to cross an infinity when I only want to go three inches?  No, I have to cross three inches.  It is not an infinity to any point, it's an infinity in both directions.  That doesn't mean I can't travel up and down the tube, measure my travel, piss in a spot, travel away and get back to the puddle.  You are saying that because the tube extends for infinity in either direction the tube must be completely empty because, extending for an infinity, you can't imagine how you would arbitrarily pick a point in that tube.  That's just not true.

I'm just not explaining it very well and I'm not talking about a point 3 inches away, I'm talking about arriving at this time in history. Most scientists believe the universe and time began about 13.5 billion years ago. Long time but wait long enough and 13.5 billion years will pass. What if it was 100 billion years ago...no problem wait a 100 billion years ago and  here we are again writing to each other in the year 2017. What it if the universe began an infinitude ago? Notice I'm using the word began which doesn't really apply. If it 'began' an infinitude ago it would take an infinitude of time to reach this time in history. We would wait forever...

I don't describe God as infinite, I describe God as transcendent. This would be analogous to a scientist who causes a virtual universe to exist, the scientist is transcendent to the virtual universe.

Yes, I am aware your type describes God as being whatever is convenient for the particular day or conversation.  I describe your description of God as being an irrelevant choice of words chosen, not for their accuracy at describing your deity, but for maximum undisprovableness.

Is a scientist who creates a virtual universe transcendent to that universe or do I just call her transcendent for disprovable sake?

Albert Einstein

Drew_2017

Quote from: doorknob on February 08, 2017, 08:52:23 PM
god of the gaps. Just because I don't know doesn't mean you get to say god did it. My mind is closed? That's a hoot! How bout your mind is so open your brains fell right out onto the pavement.

I can't prove my mind is open to you. You can't see inside my head or know my thought processes with out asking me any more than I can say that you're mind is closed on this matter.

the most valuable and telling answer to this question will see where your mind set is.

"What would it take to make you believe there is no god?"

When you make a statement such as...

QuoteAny thing out side of time and physics doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I could claim anything out side of time and space and you couldn't prove me wrong. Supernatural just another word for magic. Natural explanations are the only explanations I accept. Anything else is tomfoolery.

That isn't I don't know statement it means you have concluded that only naturalistic explanations can explain anything and any other type of explanation is trickery. That is a knowledge claim.

I don't rely on a 'God of the gaps argument' I believe in the existence of God due to known existing irrefutable facts...

1.   The fact the universe exists
2.   The fact life exists
3.   The fact intelligent life exists
4.   The fact the universe has laws of nature, is knowable, uniform and to a large extent predictable, amenable to scientific research and the laws of logic deduction and induction and is also explicable in mathematical terms.
5.   The fact there are several characteristics of the universe that fall within an extremely narrow range that not only allow life as we know it, but also allow the existence of planets, stars, solar systems and galaxies.
6.   The fact that sentient beings cause virtual universes to exist which in effect is a working model of theism.

I would believe God didn't cause the universe and subsequently our existence if there was evidence that mindless naturalistic forces somehow came into  without plan, intent or an engineering degree and caused a universe that produced something completely unlike itself to exist: Life and mind.
Albert Einstein

sdelsolray

This one is already repeating his material.