News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fox News?

Started by pr126, January 21, 2017, 12:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 21, 2017, 08:22:15 PM
Yeah, I mean I guess it sounds ridiculous, if you don't know history and don't understand the reference...
Maddow explained that in the clip, but I think that's silly. He can't use the simple generic term "America first" because some other shitty people used it too? What should America be? Second? Remember when Obama said that the US shouldn't be the world police anymore and that they should focus on fixing things at home? Yeah, I don't think Trump means it either. The world police you will remain.

SGOS

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 21, 2017, 04:34:50 PM
I haven't watched Fox in a while, but at this point I think it might be fair to say that MSNBC is just as bad. I really liked MSNBC once upon a time,

I haven't watched MSNBC since I got rid of my TV 5 years ago.  In fact, I got rid my TV partly because of the noise, usually political in nature.  I decided I could get enough noise from the Internet, if I wanted it.  Since then, even the Internet has become more intrusive.  I go to read an article and half way through the first paragraph, a video starts up (always set to maximum volume).  Sometimes the video might be related to the article.  That's bad enough, but when it's about something else, I react with loathing, because they deny me a right to concentration.  Usually I ditch the article right there, give the site a hardy "Fuck Off", and find something else.  But I still have more control over the internet because there is a wealth of alternate stuff to take a chance on.

When I first discovered MSNBC, I thought it was kind of cool to be shitting all over Republicans the way Republicans shit all over Democrats, but eventually I got just as tired of the format as I did of Rush Limbaugh, because it's unhelpful noise.  Sure there was lots of truth in it, but it's objective was to redirect attention away from Policy A, and to create a general hatred of the opposition, when Policy A was actually of more importance than simply getting angry in general.  Throw in an annoying weasel like Chris Matthews cutting everyone off mid sentence, and it becomes offensive.

I'd rather take offense on my terms, rather than have someone assume that by turning on the TV, I am granting permission to someone else to think for me, to stir up every last bit of hatred he can find, and then start loading his own trip into the cauldron of my own.  Most political "news" today is designed to do just that.

I'm old enough to recognize the limited nature of time, and I'd rather milk the joy out of the rest of mine.  I should have learned that in my 20s.  But it's never too late to tune out the annoyance of the noise makers, and pot stirrers.  Humans are capable of getting pissed off on their own.  Do we really need a conductor to tag those bits of hate and turn them into a symphony of chaos?

Mike Cl

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 22, 2017, 09:02:23 AM
Maddow explained that in the clip, but I think that's silly. He can't use the simple generic term "America first" because some other shitty people used it too? What should America be? Second? Remember when Obama said that the US shouldn't be the world police anymore and that they should focus on fixing things at home? Yeah, I don't think Trump means it either. The world police you will remain.
Instead of America First, how about American--As Good As We Can Be. ?  That way, we would not have to worry about who is first, second, third--just can we do 'this' (whatever) better????  In my personal life I find striving to be the best meant that I had to study in detail who I was to be the 'best' of.  I became about personalities and not what I could do to be the better--just the best.  So, if I focused on what I could do better I did not then have to worry about the other guys.  Maybe I can't be the best in a particular thing, but I could still do the best I could.  Or, maybe I can even transcend the 'best' rather than stopping there.  When countries start talking about being the first in everything, then it is very easy for Nationalism to take hold--and that is always militant and dangerous.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 22, 2017, 09:02:23 AM
Whether or not you agree with why people would be upset about it is irrelevant. The fact is, it stirs up many bad memories of the past. Another thing to note is that his speech was put together and written by the alt-right Steve Bannon. So it's more of a clue that him saying "America First" was a reference to that.

Sent from your mom.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 22, 2017, 12:03:57 PM
Whether or not you agree with why people would be upset about it is irrelevant. The fact is, it stirs up many bad memories of the past. Another thing to note is that his speech was put together and written by the alt-right Steve Bannon. So it's more of a clue that him saying "America First" was a reference to that.

Sent from your mom.

Heard that Trump wrote the first draft ... would be disappointed if that isn't true ... but then no President has written his own speeches since Kennedy, as I understand it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 22, 2017, 12:03:57 PM

Sent from your mom.

Hip Hip Hooray:

This comes from the German “hep hep,” which was originally a shepherds’ herding cry, so the origin itself was not racially charged. However, during the Holocaust, German citizens began using it as a rallying cry while hunting for Jewish people in the ghettoes. Its anti-Semitic usage even dates back to the 1819 riots (the “Hep-Hep Riots”).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/24/offensive-words-_n_4144472.html

Now that you have this information, do you think it's still acceptable to say hip hip hooray? That's what I thought. Silly argument. I hope Trump continues using those words and continues offending the thin skinned.

PickelledEggs

lol really? a herding cry that was used on literal sheep... farm animals, and THEN to round up Jewish people... you are using that as an argument?
This isn't about a term that was once used generally, and then after got associated with a negative event. It's about a term that was coined with malicious intent from the get-go. Similar to "nigger" which will also never be an un-offensive word.

By the way, this article even said that it did not originate as a racist term, so you literally sabotaged yourself with that.

At this point, it's pretty clear you are only arguing for the sake of arguing, so I'm gonna back out.

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 22, 2017, 03:40:08 PM
lol really? a herding cry that was used on literal sheep... farm animals, and THEN to round up Jewish people... you are using that as an argument?
This isn't about a term that was once used generally, and then after got associated with a negative event.
Why does that matter? The Nazis weren't the first to use the swastika. If you want other examples, whites started using "no can do" to mock Asians. Whites started using "long time no see" to mock indigenous/ native Americans. People don't mean to mock when they use those phrases today. If people don't like America first, that's fine and to each their own, but every country should put itself and it's people first.

Baruch

Quote from: FaithIsFilth on January 22, 2017, 05:33:11 PM
Why does that matter? The Nazis weren't the first to use the swastika. If you want other examples, whites started using "no can do" to mock Asians. Whites started using "long time no see" to mock indigenous/ native Americans. People don't mean to mock when they use those phrases today. If people don't like America first, that's fine and to each their own, but every country should put itself and it's people first.

Not if George Soros is right about politics, and John Lennon is right about religion ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote...but every country should put itself and it's people first.

If they want to fail, perhaps. Selfishness is not a viable long-term investment.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 22, 2017, 06:24:23 PM
If they want to fail, perhaps. Selfishness is not a viable long-term investment.

There are many starving people in India ... you go first ;-)  Clearly you are no investor.  Investment is most often a win-lose proposition, not a win-win proposition.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on January 22, 2017, 07:17:39 PM
There are many starving people in India ... you go first ;-)  Clearly you are no investor.  Investment is most often a win-lose proposition, not a win-win proposition.

I invest in causes outside of America, but still within my realm of influence (refugees at the border, church food drives in Mexico). I expect my country to do the same. While short term it probably is a lose-win for me-them, in the long term having more stable neighbours sympathetic towards my people rather than resentful towards them is a huge net gain for a relatively small expenditure.

India does not fall within my realm of influence because I don't have the capital for it to do so. My resources are better spent locally. But if I was a a country, then improving the standards in India, or any potential client, would be within my realm of influence and would be beneficial to my own agendas as well.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: Shiranu on January 22, 2017, 06:24:23 PM
My idea of putting your own country first does not align with Trump's talking points when he talks about putting America first. To me, putting your country first does not mean taking away support from allies or not doing your part to help limit the damage from climate change, etc. Less aggression towards the Russians would be a good thing though. Giving up on regime change in Syria and no longer trying to replace Assad with ISIS and other terrorists would be a good thing I think. People loved it when Obama said he was going to focus on fixing things in America rather than being the world police. The right attacked hard when he said he would try to get along with others, like Iran for example. You agree that America should be put first too. You just have a different idea of what it means to put America first.