Technical Analysis of Russian Hacking?

Started by Baruch, January 02, 2017, 08:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://turningpointnews.org/exposing-political-corruption/dhs-fbi-claim-of-russian-hacking-is-fake-news

This analysis was done by a retired teacher.  Probably the FBI and CIA can do better than he can.  The NSA could have the real evidence of file transfer ... but won't share it.  But this isn't proof that the NSA did it and puts the blame on Russia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

chill98

I read an analysis of the same info done by a wordpress security firm.  Rough conclusion:

QuoteThe IP addresses that DHS provided may have been used for an attack by a state actor like Russia. But they don’t appear to provide any association with Russia. They are probably used by a wide range of other malicious actors, especially the 15% of IP addresses that are Tor exit nodes.

The malware sample is old, widely used and appears to be Ukrainian. It has no apparent relationship with Russian intelligence and it would be an indicator of compromise for any website.

This attempt to convince the public the ruskies did it makes our own gov look like a bunch of amateurs.  Laughable even.

Baruch

We can't tell at this point.  A private party (with lots of zombie nodes) or a state actor (which we assume isn't the US only because of propaganda) could be involved.  Or it could have been a disgruntled insider.  My most recent Ethical Hacker training claims that 60% of all attacks are insider attacks.  So on that basis, it was a DNC operative that released the Pedesta and DNC emails.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

too much yooge bigley talk. I ground my teeth in creating data sets for data entry and accounting software. I also managed the test for CNA but that is as far as my training goes. Don't know anything about the details of how hacking is done.

There is one thing I do know. Just like telemarketers can call your phone with a fake telephone number, the better software can change the ID of the origination before it sends a packet to the next router. Add on to that the use of shell organizations of every government it gets complicated really quickly. A msg that appears to be from Russia could actually be coming from Mexico City. The only way to get anywhere is if you make a deal with computer manufacturers for a back door or have the ability to remotely hack a router.

I wish I could have learned that level of internet programming. If I did I would probably spend sometime to see what I could find out. Internet traffic is a much more exciting part of computer programming than meticulous repetition of accounting software.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Jason78

That was not a technical analysis.  Not even close.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on April 11, 2017, 12:36:31 PM
That was not a technical analysis.  Not even close.

So you were the one who did it?  Have you turned yourself into the FBI?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

I am certain that the FBI is not the foremost expert on technical analysis. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 11, 2017, 06:54:09 PM
I am certain that the FBI is not the foremost expert on technical analysis.

Yes, clearly the CIA is, now that we know, since this article came out, that the CIA can do any hack they want, and make it look like any perpetrator they want to frame.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.