Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely

Started by Yadayadayada, December 28, 2016, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 09:31:49 AM
I'll agree with fencerider here.  If a deity exists, there is a fine line between obvious and oblivious.

Any deity could convince me right now easily... 
Not an imaginary one.

Boom!  Check and mate, atheist!
This sentence is a lie...

SGOS

And even though he could (and wants us to believe), he seems to leave the task up to his mortal minions, who can only fail because they are so ill equipped for the job.  Nor does God provide his minions with the proper tools.  Supporting evidence would help them greatly, but he won't give them any.  It's almost like he isn't really there.

Cavebear

Don't get me wrong here.  Just saying that any extant deity could and should make things pretty obvious.

Not using that as a disproof (who could fathom a deity?) but still, deliberate uncertainty seems a bit dim...  If I were a deity, I would just place fiery letters in the sky every generation saying, "I'm here".  In all languages, of course.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

I'll agree with fencerider here.  If a deity exists, there is a fine line between obvious and oblivious.

I am a demi-god, and I am talking to you ... does that count?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 07:02:43 PM
I am a demi-god, and I am talking to you ... does that count?

You are hardly even a real mortal to me.  Bow before Hunk-Ra!!!

No, you aren't a demi-god.  Demi-god genes have been so diluted since the days of the ancient Greeks that the best you can hope for is a mild resistance to the common cold.  And probably not even that.  You might have the "counting to 10" gene.  And not allergic to pineapples.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm a Toothfairian.. I actually got money for losing teeth as a youngster. There is a cut off date which is kind of arbitrary, but once you stop believing the cash flow stops..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 05, 2017, 02:15:25 PM
I'm a Toothfairian.. I actually got money for losing teeth as a youngster. There is a cut off date which is kind of arbitrary, but once you stop believing the cash flow stops..

Just like political bribery of politicians and voters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 05, 2017, 02:15:25 PM
Aren't there two kinds of toothfairianism?  It is true that once I stopped believing, the money dried up.  But once my child reached tooth losing time, I became one again.  Until her belief dried up. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

Why do atheists claim that the concept of god is so unlikely???

Here's a better question:

Why do theists claim that the concept of god is likely????

Do you got a big-Daddy complex? Do you get brownie points for getting other people involved? Are you scared to face your life with out a genie to get you out of trouble?
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 06, 2017, 11:41:45 PM
Why do atheists claim that the concept of god is so unlikely???

Here's a better question:

Why do theists claim that the concept of god is likely????

Do you got a big-Daddy complex? Do you get brownie points for getting other people involved? Are you scared to face your life with out a genie to get you out of trouble?

Religion is all psychology ... individual and social.  Why do atheists deny psychology?  Why do they have a hard-on for physics?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:36:41 AM
Religion is all psychology ... individual and social.  Why do atheists deny psychology?  Why do they have a hard-on for physics?

Ahem. *Holds up my Master of Arts in Psychology.*
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:36:41 AM
Why is Santa white???  Why is the Tooth Fairy female???  Why is Rumpelstiltskin rumpled???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 07, 2017, 11:04:22 AM
Why is Santa white???  Why is the Tooth Fairy female???  Why is Rumpelstiltskin rumpled???

Fiction doesn't come from nowhere, it comes from people's imaginations, their mind.  Ask authors why they write what they do ... ask yourself that question ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Fiction doesn't come from nowhere, it comes from people's imaginations, their mind.  Ask authors why they write what they do ... ask yourself that question ;-)
You are correct (write even)--I've asked that question of each and every author of the books of the bible (even if we don't know who wrote them) and of the Joel Osteens of this world.