News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Minority Report

Started by pr126, December 23, 2016, 11:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Thought for the day:

If Muslims number 1.7 Billion, how is it that they are a minority?

Shiranu

Why are there still monkeys?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Because if a number is less than half, it is a minority? Why is that a question? The current population is about 7.5 billion. That makes a number like 1.7 billion a minority.

You didn't lose your touch with math, did you pr??

pr126

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 24, 2016, 12:50:16 AM
Because if a number is less than half, it is a minority? Why is that a question? The current population is about 7.5 billion. That makes a number like 1.7 billion a minority.

You didn't lose your touch with math, did you pr??

By that logic every single ethnicity,  religion etc.  is a minority.
There are no majorities.

Shiranu

What is the proportion on Britain, where they're considered a minority?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on December 24, 2016, 03:26:14 AM
By that logic every single ethnicity,  religion etc.  is a minority.
There are no majorities.

The point is that a minority is less than the others. Out of the 3 major religious groups, muslims are the minority, with a lower community than judaism and x-tianity, each

pr126

There are, according to Pickledeggs 7.5 billion people on the planet, the UK population is a minority.
Note that Pickeldeggs used the whole planet as an example.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on December 24, 2016, 04:51:28 AM
There are, according to Pickledeggs 7.5 billion people on the planet, the UK population is a minority.
Note that Pickeldeggs used the whole planet as an example.

That's nice, and yes... the UK would be a global minority.

Now, in the West (or in the UK, take your pick) how many Muslims are there vs. the majority population?

pr126

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 24, 2016, 04:50:33 AM
The point is that a minority is less than the others. Out of the 3 major religious groups, muslims are the minority, with a lower community than judaism and x-tianity, each
Not so fast.
You have taken the whole planet (7.5 billion) as a measure v muslims.
No mention of the other the 3 major religions in your post.
But no matter. Not worth the argument.

BTW, there are only 15 million Jews on the planet. Hardly a majority by any means.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on December 24, 2016, 05:15:20 AM
Not so fast.
You have taken the whole planet (7.5 billion) as a measure v muslims.
No mention of the other the 3 major religions in your post.
But no matter. Not worth the argument.
Post the numbers of all the religious groups and we'll go from there. It's  5 in the morning, so I'm going to sleep

Sent from your mom.

pr126

QuotePost the numbers of all the religious groups and we'll go from there
No I won't.
An old English saying, "bollox".

Nonsensei

I can't believe this is a real discussion topic.

Muslims are a minority in every western country. That is how they are a minority. You can't ask a question like this without parameters. I am the minority when compared to the universe. I am the overwhelming majority when compared to the occupants of my apartment.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Baruch

Quote from: Nonsensei on December 24, 2016, 05:41:51 AM
I can't believe this is a real discussion topic.

Muslims are a minority in every western country. That is how they are a minority. You can't ask a question like this without parameters. I am the minority when compared to the universe. I am the overwhelming majority when compared to the occupants of my apartment.

If you have a cat, then no matter how many other dogs or people are there, the cat is the majority.  If you have more than one cat, then you have more than one majority, and that is too many in any math system ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

Secular (worldwide) is #3.  I am glad that Neo-Pagans, African Traditional Religions, Ethnic Religions (I would put Judaism there as well as many of the small religions listed), are doing so well, after the imperialism of the major religions.  In another table on Wiki ... 4.4% of Britons are Muslim.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

The minority Report

Are we having fun yet?

#NOTALLMUSLIMS