News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Are we doomed?

Started by reasonist, December 23, 2016, 08:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

QuoteAre we doomed?

No, we are not. The form of thinking by itself is religious. It doesn't exist. Doomsday, Apocalypse...The End Times...etc. It doesn't mean anything. Humans have been thinking and talking about it since they are able to perform those acts. They kinda love to fantasise on their own death.

World orders get set and then they collapse and gets set again and again. Human civilisation is so new and tiny, we don't have the proper espression to describe it. So it will always be very new. It can perish because of itself or some other catastrophie or go on in very different ways. Our whole existence is barely momentary in our made up time scale.

In any way, considering the scale of nature; the universe keeps creating-recreating itself consantly in a scale our minds can't even remotely -remotely, remotely...- grasp, we are so indescribably insignificant as an event, it is just mindbreakingly boring to speculate on how it is gonna end or if it is gonna learn.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

reasonist

Then the question should be: is it going to be our own doing? As Mammalians we are no exception to the rule of temporary existence, but are we bringing on our own demise?
Hawkins gives Earth less than a thousand years. That's a flicker in geological terms. If we don't nuke ourselves to extinction, we will run out of finite resources. Not to mention natural disasters like a meteorite, volcanoes or earthquakes. Can we evolve in time to forego superstition, greed and tribal sentiments? In time to plunder other planets and maybe even relocate? Maybe instead of spending trillions to 'defend' ourselves from our own species, we should invest heavily in technology that allows us to continue our existence in case of a catastrophe. (The universe doesn't care one way or another and would be better off without us anyway.) But I am continuously surprised by the apathy displayed when it comes to preparation for events outside our control, like natural disasters. Our survival instinct is misdirected by concentrating on humans for the source of destruction.

I like to wish all fellow posters a happy Festivus and belated solstice! Health and happiness always!
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

"In the long run, we are all dead" is a truism that tends to prevent action.  "In the short run, I still have to hunt mammoth" is much more motivational.

People who live in the future, or the past, aren't alive today.  Be alive today.

Big issue thinking, only works if you are a world leader, and have totalitarian powers.  People idly waste their time, imagining what it would be like, how much better it would be, if they were a world leader.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

We are not doomed.  Unless Trump starts WWIII.  Then we are.  He could.  Or couldn't.  Depends on his tweets.  And Putin.  Or N Korea.  Or Pence.  Who knows.  Anyway, I'm not building  bomb shelter.  Who wants to live after WWIII? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Of course we're on the eve of destruction, we have been since I was fourteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZVu0alU0I
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

reasonist

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Yeah ... biology isn't too important, compared to political/economics ;-(  I remember the first Earth Day ... and we don't even celebrate it any more.  The D-party could have gone Left with McGovern, but instead triangulated into a R-me-too party under the Clintons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

I've said it a hundred times. We're fucked. Why? Because we're people and we fuck shit up, its what we do.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Johan on December 27, 2016, 06:29:03 AM
I've said it a hundred times. We're fucked. Why? Because we're people and we fuck shit up, its what we do.
And yet we've soldiered on for hundreds of thousands of years. The current flail is just a ripple on that pond.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2016, 07:10:55 AM
And yet we've soldiered on for hundreds of thousands of years. The current flail is just a ripple on that pond.

Since life and death have no meaning ... does that give you confidence?  Life has soldiered on ... species don't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 27, 2016, 08:16:34 AM
Since life and death have no meaning ... does that give you confidence?  Life has soldiered on ... species don't.
♫ Oh, ah, ting, tang, walla-walla bing bang. ♫
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2016, 08:23:38 AM
♫ Oh, ah, ting, tang, walla-walla bing bang. ♫
Chanted like a true witchdoctor.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 27, 2016, 09:07:34 AM
Chanted like a true witchdoctor.
Heard that first time around on the radio.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

For some reason I have that song and the Purple People Eaters connected.  If I think of one, I automatically think of the other.  One of life's mysteries.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 27, 2016, 09:14:47 AM
For some reason I have that song and the Purple People Eaters connected.  If I think of one, I automatically think of the other.  One of life's mysteries.
Nope, they were contemporaries on the radio back in the day. Easy association to make.

"Running Bear" and "Sink the Bismark", same-same.
PZ Myers