News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

the Flat Earth

Started by fencerider, December 17, 2016, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

I was checking out some flat earth websites for some free entertainment. One of them started out really funny and ridiculous, but they had so many "proofs" on their list, that I started getting bored. I also found out surprise, surprise, that a whole lot of Christian people believe in a flat earth.

So the earth is flat. The center is at the north pole and Antarctica surrounds all of it. The earth is covered by a glass dome to which the stars are attached. The earth is completely stationary and the dome rotates above it. The sun and the moon also hang from the dome. The sun is 32 miles across and is only 3000 miles above the earth. The moon is a semi-transparent disk about the same size as the sun that produces its own kind of light.

Here's a few funnies:

1 When a ship sails out to sea, it doesn't disappear over the horizon of the curve. It vanishes to the vanishing point perspective. If you let a ship disappear over the horizon; even let it get 100 miles away; with a good telescope you can see the ship. - anybody got a telescope??

2 The sun is only 32 miles across and the earth is x1000 miles across. So when the sun sets we are actually just seeing the sun go to the vanishing point of perspective. - anybody got a telescope??

3 The moon is semi-transparent. You can see stars through it sometimes. - I've looked at the moon enough times with my coolpix900 to know that either you are seeing a white rock or a crater.

The moon is a flat disk that gives us phases by moving above and below the sun. - A flat disk moving above and below the sun could only give you a new moon or a full moon. It's not possible for any other phases of the moon to exist unless the moon is spherical; or at least a paraboloid.

The moon generates its own form of light that causes putrescence and illness. - Oh definitely. When I was driving a truck I had to stop a few times in a turnout by the hwy. And on those days that there was a full-moon the maggots were just poppin out of the ground left and right.

4 Coriolis effect is completely imaginary. The winds on earth are created by the gravity of the stars in the dome pulling on the air. - whatever. I went to Quito, Ecuador 20 miles south of the equator. From there I went to Cuidad de Mitad del Mundo. A place that was calculated to be the equator a long time ago. From there I went 3/4 mile north to Inti-nan. Where the equator was determined to be by gps. They put a sink with 3 gallons of water 5 ft on one side of the line. The water drains clockwise. Then 5ft on the other side and it goes counter clockwise. And on the line the water doesnt spin at all while it is falling.

5 gravity is a concept invented by atheists. It doesn't make any sense how some people could be standing sideways on earth while others are upside down. It makes more sense that we are all standing on a big flat table. - if there is no gravity to make the earth into a ball, then there is no gravity to hold your feet onto a flat earth either.

6. if you get a length of pipe at least 6ft long and aim it at a star, you can come back six months later and still see the star through the pipe without any adjustment. This proves the earth does not move. - apparently someone who never goes outside. I been outside enough to know that Orion's belt and the Pleiades cross over Los Angeles at approximately 70-75 degrees in summertime, around 50degrees in fall and 30-35 degrees during the winter.

so this is getting boring... there are some funny ones in here, but don't read them all if you don't want to get bored.

atlanteanconspiracy.com "200 proofs the earth is not a spinning ball"
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Hydra009

QuoteSo the earth is flat. The center is at the north pole and Antarctica surrounds all of it. The earth is covered by a glass dome to which the stars are attached. The earth is completely stationary and the dome rotates above it.
If that were the case, every satellite we launch would have a line of sight to 100% of the world or 0% of the world (the dark side).  Instead, it can only see part of the Earth at any one time.  Flat earthers either have to deny the existence of satellites or resort to some seriously crazy arguments to explain that.

aitm

If you read the first chapter of genesis as if it was the truth, it matches pretty much what this says. In genesis however, the sky is water.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 17, 2016, 08:15:52 AM
If you read the first chapter of genesis as if it was the truth, it matches pretty much what this says. In genesis however, the sky is water.

Yes, rain is Zeus taking a piss.  Funny how it doesn't turn the snow yellow.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

With as much information we have about the Earth, it amazes me that Flat Earther's exist at all.  Sustaining that sort of nonsense, is usually associated with religious dogma.  And while most flat Earth nut jobs are probably theists, I don't think Flat Earthism has achieved a well accepted religious status.  Perhaps it requires even more nonsense to become an official religion.

Baruch

Jedi is an officially recognized religion in GB ;-)  Take that, Darth Vader!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

that's funny hydra. There are supposed to be 15-20,000 objects up there (trash and satelites). Like a giant track of bumper cars. [you should know that there can't be any satelites up there cause they would all burn up in the thermosphere]
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 17, 2016, 09:30:29 AMWith as much information we have about the Earth, it amazes me that Flat Earther's exist at all.  Sustaining that sort of nonsense, is usually associated with religious dogma.  And while most flat Earth nut jobs are probably theists, I don't think Flat Earthism has achieved a well accepted religious status.  Perhaps it requires even more nonsense to become an official religion.
I believe it.  It seems like any idea, no matter how long ago it was discredited, retains some proponents.  And the internet, for all its boons, allows for the easy propagation of misinformation.  I mean, just look at the recent topics list over here at AF.  Half of it is complete bullshit, a good portion of it is pointed out as bullshit, but it's believed by people, even if it's just the OP.  The lunatics are taking over.

Baruch

Truth = as defined by CIA and MI6 ... or American Empire/British Empire.  Long live Emperor Obama!  Are people who believe in empires, any smarter than flat earth or hollow earth proponents?  Reminds me a lot of 1914 or 1939.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

truth as defined by the American empire or truth as defined by the Bible? Looks like a photo finish to me. History (official fiction) is always written by the conquerors.

drunkenshoe

Flat Earth sociey is not different than quantum healers or angel coaching, Abrahamic religions or East Asian religions. Only the form is different, function is the same.

People have been creating their own belief systems and groups since the dawn of the species. That's actually one of the main reasons why sapients survived against all other human species and was successful in dominating the earth. While organised religions are very young, they have been functional as law and the order of the land for so long a time, they have become 'legitimate' through politics and culture, because first of all it is profitable and beneficial for the state.

Some time around roughly 200 years ago, when Modern State entered the stage and standardisation began it has become the only functional god on earth and its religion; nationalism. The political mask put on wars and invasions for power and resource, for benefit and profit -which had the same mechanism more or less thousands of years ago- collided with the age of information and mass communication.

The incredible speed of information and mind breaking progress on scientific research and technology; the way the information regarding to this progress overall travels has been too much for people. One minute humanity is about a calender around a year on harvest and climate held by a mother deity, 5 minutes later here comes the magic sky daddy and it is all about fairy tales on how he created the world and the precious humans and how he is going to take them to his bosom if they behave, then 'suddenly' just roughly a couple of hundreds years ago, everything gets started to explain by a system and a method (science) that doesn't apologise, neither comforts, nor offers a personal benefit, which defines them just an ordinary branch in a bunch of monkey family. People do recognise the benefits of ecience and technology, but they have a harsh difficulty to understand and they cannot make it their own, they cannot build a personal relationship with it. Most people are not curious. Most people have familes they need to take care of, whom they constantly worry about and they work their ass off. Mostly people are simple. They do not give a fuck about how nature woks. This is something you either have it or you don't. And it starts as a child.

The world got smaller and smaller and finally turned into a global villlage, it is not a some place that you can 'get lost' and 'hide' any more.Everything is 'in the open'. Everything is for sale. To sell a product you need to convince people that they need it urgently. Imaginary problems function pretty much the same way, not as fast. You also do not need to convince them. They are ready to believe they are in some sort of a situation against them. And the possible set of answers those imaginary problems becomes small religious groups. You can also make money from these inventing problems and offering answers to them. In a time people are actually started to get away from old organised belief systems, you can throw them anything and be sure somebody will buy it.

As far as we know, Sapients are the only human sepcies who adorned themselves, their weapons, shelters, clothes..etc. And that is very very important, because besides its basic function of recognising the fellow members of your clan and the group they belonged to in that clan, it also explains a lot about the species' relationship with itself.

Sapients did NOT survive just because they invented tools. They survived long enough to invent tolls and further, because they evolved to BELIEVE that everything they experience in the physical world was for them; in favour or against their existence; had a nonphysical imaginary relationship with them; RELIGION. Paranoia, worship. Ego. Desire. Immortality. "Everything is about me. Everything is for me. I don't want to die, I don't want to hurt."

That BELIEF mechanism only works if there is a mystery and sense of something so big and unknown, it translates to a fanstasy concept; 'Divinty' in human culture, something bigger than themselves, that humans can 'connect' by just believing in it; recognising its existence. But it is actually lost now. It has been lost for some time. But humans will never give up holding on to it. (The scientific curiosity or 'mystery' need a high environment to occur and it does not work like belief systems. It's not personal, tribal in a primitive way. You cannot include it in your daily life in an emotional connection.)

Flat Earth is the result of the same mechanism. Along with every superstitious, religious belief system. Humans are still creating their own little beleif systems to escape from reality to 'go on'. But the problem is not curshing power of the Church any more, it is the crushing power of the State. "They are lying to us to maintain control. The earth is not a spheroid, it is flat!".

Or think about people who keep 'sending energy' to the universe.

Before mass communication and technology people didn't grow up with an accumulation of knowledge that made the universe their background. they didn't look at the picture of the earth when they were a toddler. Universe, quantum, energy...etc were not set of words from daily vocabulary. Nobody claimed sending some energy to the universe to get something bad. Or demand quantum healing to their chakras. There was just the very ancient concept of Karma but at least they didn't treat it like a 24/7 acessible bank account to send to others. Its function was to lead people to standard behaviour and check themselves according to the norms of the society. Now you can pay money and 'learn' how to 'send' what kind of energy to whom or to the universe.

Anyway, long story short, the progress we went through in the last 100 years or so is too much to digest for people, esp. because we keep overestimating humans. We see ourselves in a giant mirror. Our needs are simple. We are all cave creatures sitting around a fire.

If you give all 'this' to cave developers, if you put them in a world nothing is a msytery and everything is possible, achievable that's what is gonna happen. They will find a way to reject reality to create their own safe fantasy. That's how they survived this far. Evolution sucks. Both ways.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: fencerider on December 23, 2016, 02:57:21 AM
  History (official fiction) is always written by the conquerors.
I see you've never heard of Vietnam.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 23, 2016, 06:16:14 AM
I see you've never heard of Vietnam.

I still await the justified VietCong occupation of the US ;-)

Shoe ... you get my meta on.  But I can only take small doses at a time ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2016, 07:01:06 AM
I still await the justified VietCong occupation of the US ;-)
As usual, you wander off into uncharted lands.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers