Just So This Extraordinary Claim Has A Non-Admin Topic...

Started by Sleeper, February 17, 2013, 06:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

[youtube:23dvn9sk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg[/youtube:23dvn9sk]

Shiranu

I very much want to watch this when I am not on my phone...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

The bit near the end about (king?) Omari and Samaria has been really cool. Its the same story we hear in all other parts of the world... history is always favourable to the guy with the bigger gun.

edit - fuck. Watched wrong episode. Fail.

Very, very good series, then :p. Thanks for link.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Rasputin"The first commandment alone is proof enough that the Jews were originally polytheists.

that is true, but so very often ignored when I mention it to the believers.
Yes, it can be parphrased, "I am YOUR god.  Those other gods are not your gods," and from that can be extrapolated, "I am the god that will represent you.  Those other gods are already committed to your enemies."

At least the that's the way I can spin it.

SGOS

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Writer posted a YouTube video
Good video.  I just learned something.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "SGOS"Good video.  I just learned something.

Yes. You can now chide christians for worshiping a war god.

SGOS

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "SGOS"Good video.  I just learned something.

Yes. You can now chide christians for worshiping a war god.
While I haven't actually chided any Christians about this issue, I've always thought the god of the Old Testament was a war god in addition to all the other things he was supposed to be.  It seems pretty obvious.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"Writer posted a YouTube video
Good video.  I just learned something.

Been awhile since I watched that.  Thanks SGOS.  Excellent video.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Been awhile since I watched that.  Thanks SGOS.  Excellent video.
That was from The Antithesis, but you're welcome.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Been awhile since I watched that.  Thanks SGOS.  Excellent video.
That was from The Antithesis, but you're welcome.

Whooops - too many tabs open - too much going on for me.  Sorry.   Thank YOU, Antitness.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Shiranu

Sorry to be spamming this thread, but I am watching the posted episode now and it is excellent. Thanks again for link :D.

edit - Mom's response to issues raised in this? "You realize this is just a movie, right? That doesn't make it true.".

...fuck me. Fuck me sideways.

Davka

Quote from: "Sleeper"What's to make of this claim that the ancient Jews were actually polytheists?
I think it's more accurate to say that the forebears of the ancient Jews were polytheists. The Hebrew-speaking people's self-identity as a group separate from the surrounding tribes appears to have emerged alongside their monotheism. Or possibly because of their monotheism.

The Babylonian exile seems to have solidified the idea that YHWH is the only "real" god, and that the Hebrews were conquered and captured because they were not exclusively faithful to YHWH. The take-away was "don't screw around on YHWH, he'll fuck you up!"

GurrenLagann

Can't watch it from my phone, but does she say anything about changes to the texts themselves over time? For example, IIRC some passages in the OT that said things like "....and so the SONS of the Lord..." were changed later to "....and so the ANGELS of the Lord..."

Hellm it's apparent even with all the tomfoolery. The Pharoah's magicians could perform legitamite miracles according to the OT, it was simply that Aaron' were greater, implying they were assisted by their own god(s). Even Yahweh's "I am who I am" reply to Moses in the bush indicates this.

...But no Christian is likely to accept any of this. :/
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Sleeper

I don't think the video mentions the changes, but it does mention the "Who among the gods..." "The lord's throne is in the midst of the gods (or something similar)...," "Let us make man in our image..." - Things like that.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Dena

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Rasputin"The first commandment alone is proof enough that the Jews were originally polytheists.

that is true, but so very often ignored when I mention it to the believers.

Christians seem to largely be unaware of the fact or want to pretend it's not known. I'm not sure why it's so bothersome.