Rent-a-Jew program launches in Germany.

Started by Hydra009, December 10, 2016, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteWith a population of 200,000 Jews, Germany is home to the world's fastest-growing Jewish community. And yet many Germans have never met a Jewish person - something "Rent a Jew" aims to change.
Quote"How many of you have met a Jew?" At a technical college in Solingen, Western Germany, 15 out of 20 cautious teenagers answer with just as many variations of no.

"I've most likely crossed paths with one," says one student. "But I wouldn't necessarily know."

That's where "Rent-a-Jew" steps in. "You never forget your first," the project's tagline reads. The initiative - with its admittedly provocative name - was launched by the Munich-based European Janusz Korczak Academy.

The program's 50 members are leading seminars with private groups and educational establishments across Germany. In reaching out to non-Jews, the initiative aims to provide the opportunity to socialize with the Jewish community and break down prejudices in the process.
QuoteTaking part in the Rent-a-Jew seminar gives participants the chance to learn about all manner of things that contribute to Judaism - whether it's worship, festivals, ancestry, or the particularly popular topic of food.

As the participants begin to relax, Schmerling and Ott turn the tables. "What have you heard about Jews?"

Apprehensive at first, someone answers: "Educated."

"Not always a bad thing," Schmerling replies. "But certainly not true for everyone."

"Money," says another, prompting a mixture of tiny gasps and uneasy laughs from the group.

"Well, it's certainly an old prejudice," Schmerling says. "But, unfortunately it isn't true. At least it wasn't passed on if there was any in my family," she jokes.

"Wouldn't that be nice if you were given a bag of money if you converted," Ott quips. "Where do I sign?"
http://www.dw.com/en/rent-a-jew-project-hopes-to-ward-off-anti-semitism-in-germany/a-36710940

I'm not completely convinced this isn't some elaborate hoax, but Deutsche Welle is a mainstream German publication, so I'm leaning on this being real.

On one hand, I think this initiative is a good thing.  But on the other, I'm kinda miffed that it's free.  They could make a mint on just â,¬5 a head.  Charging that much would probably be a bad idea, though.  They should go for â,¬10 a head and be willing to settle on â,¬5.

Baruch

The Jewish community has had our own version for decades, but only around Passover ... Shabbos Goy.  Basically we rent a Gentile.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

You got a jew to come over to your house? And it's for free?  ba-dum-tish!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

pr126

Not a good idea with all those "refugees" around.
Jews best keep their heads down if they are smart.

drunkenshoe

I have read that 'rant'-a-jew the first time. :/

I am not sure that this is really a good thing. We'll see.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

pr126

It seems this was proposed by liberal Jews with little or no grasp on reality.
They might regret their project soon enough.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: pr126 on December 11, 2016, 06:57:34 AM
It seems this was proposed by liberal Jews with little or no grasp on reality.
They might regret their project soon enough.

Liberal jews are much much better at dealing/coping with cultural differences Or hostility and violence against their own than any other group. While they won't lose their own culture, they will adapt to anything successfully.

Go warn the right wing christian conservatives who has been living in the la la land. They are ready to jump to a politically correct version of nazism. 

Sorry Godwin, I am afraid this time it is getting real.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp