News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Marvel...

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 20, 2016, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

It has been known marvel and DC has copied one another over the years, but it's pot luck which characters and their copies become the most popular.

https://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=dk6Dd9UPX1g
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, but allegedly, Namor was the first flying brick (a superhuman with the powers of flight as well as superhuman strength and durability).  Superman was published first, but he couldn't fly till later.  Namor had the powerset about a year and half before Superman.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 06, 2017, 04:12:07 AMIt has been known marvel and DC has copied one another over the years, but it's pot luck which characters and their copies become the most popular.
Yeah.  Most of the time, I like the Marvel version better.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's the character design, maybe it's the personality, or maybe the character is a better fit for Marvel's setting.  Or maybe I'm just more familiar with the Marvel counterpart.  Whatever the reason, Marvel ftw.

Namor VS Aquaman
Deadpool VS Deathstroke
Reed Richards VS Plastic Man
Ant Man VS The Atom
Hawkeye VS Green Arrow
Thanos VS Darkseid

Marvel seems a bit more...adventurous with their character designs.  A pretty diverse cast - you name it, and Marvel's got it.  You have tough, serious characters like Winter Soldier, Black Widow, and Nick Fury, but also oddball characters like Speedball, Squirrel Girl, and Groot.  It's a good mix.

Of course, they got that mix by throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.  There have been plenty of characters best left forgotten, but that's the price you pay with that method.

Solomon Zorn

While I would agree with most of the comparisons in the video, I completely disagree with the Hulk being a rip-off of Solomon Grundy. They both are large, and wear ripped-up clothes, but the similarities end there. Solomon Grundy was more of a cross between the Swamp Thing, and a zombie. The Hulk, of course, was created by a Gamma-Bomb explosion, and triggered by anger.

By the way, only three weeks left, till Doctor Strange comes out on Blu-Ray!

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 07, 2017, 10:35:57 AM
I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, but allegedly, Namor was the first flying brick (a superhuman with the powers of flight as well as superhuman strength and durability).  Superman was published first, but he couldn't fly till later.  Namor had the powerset about a year and half before Superman.
I didn't know that. After reading, I guess the animators of the 1940's Superman cartoon series, are the ones who asked DC to make him fly, so that they didn't have to waste time with him jumping repeatedly, to cover long distances.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abw3NOYx8A&t=316s

When the head of marvel comics right now, is a self confessed solcial justice warrior, who would gladly fuck up an industry for his political ideology, thats when rational people step back and see how out of touch the current far left are. Also, just saying to you Shi, any argument about girl thor or girl wolverine, doesn't come from a place of rational argument as far as marvel comics right now is concerned, it comes from the warped mind of its current SJW mindset.

Baruch

SJWs are mostly anti-American, anti-British.  It is an infection from the French!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Anyone remember Jubilee?

Man how times were cruel to her. She grew to fame thanks to the x-men animated series, being the token annoying sidekick who's powers sucked and was always being rescued. Yet I think people held out hope she'd grow up and learn from her time with the x-men. I even remember reading Generation X, about her and a new class of young mutants learning about their powers.

Then she lost her mutant powers thanks to house of M, tried to go diet tony stark, but that didn't last, and then finally she became a vampire.

going from a teen representative for younger characters in the 90s, so being a depowered mutant, and then a vampire, can't help but think the writers wanted to put her though the works for all the complaints people had of her. Personally I didn't mind her that much. 

Even as a vampire, she's still wearing that ugly yellow jacket XD

Munch

Baruch

Comics are part of the narrative control, if you control the youth, then eventually you control everyone.  Thanks for the post from ... the real Comic Book Man.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 10, 2017, 07:09:51 PMAnyone remember Jubilee?

Man how times were cruel to her. She grew to fame thanks to the x-men animated series, being the token annoying sidekick who's powers sucked and was always being rescued.
She was adorable and extremely sympathetic character on Xmen TAS.  From her, you see how average people react to discovering that you're a mutant.  She served as a viewpoint character to all the superpowered craziness going on in that show.

She contributed more than her fair share to the team considering her extremely weak powerset.  She distracted a sentinel and has interrupted a villain about to land a killing blow more than once.  And off the battlefield, she helped some members work through their personal problems, relays info between team members, and looks after younger pupils.  She did an amazing job with what little she had.

I've read that her power had the potential to be much more destructive, but she was holding back.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on January 05, 2017, 09:27:01 AM
Oh right. Sorry brain fart there, comes from the fact I grew up watching the 90s show well before getting into the comics.

I started reading Marvel Comics in 1961.  What worries me about them today is that there are too many super-villains who never fight each other.  I mean, shouldn't they be competing?  And WHERE are all those super-villans coming from anyway?  Shouldn't Galactus have eaten them all by now? 

And why isn't there a Marvelecticopedia, so some of us can catch up?  Inquiring minds want to know...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2017, 05:12:32 AM

And why isn't there a Marvelecticopedia, so some of us can catch up?  Inquiring minds want to know...

I guess they haven't due to marvel wiki existing now.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on February 13, 2017, 05:23:54 AM
I guess they haven't due to marvel wiki existing now.

Finally?  Thank You.  I really didn't know.  I'll go there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!