How do you feel about the new president of USA?

Started by Rob4you, November 11, 2016, 03:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on January 25, 2017, 12:45:26 AMI predicted it even as far back as 1982 (coincidentally, when I read the book 1984)
How did you read it before it was published?  :P  (kidding)

Atheon

My predictions of future horror, and my absolute greatest fears in the world, are:

1. The American passport severely declining in utility as once-friendly nations impose visa restrictions;
2. The total illegalization of abortion (which essentially would signal the final nail in America's coffin);
3. The formation of theocratic dictatorship in the USA under the Republican Party;
4. Nuclear war.

Look for the once-great US to become a third-world shithole and a source of refugees to other countries if the first three take place.

Look for the extinction of the human species should the fourth come true.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on January 25, 2017, 12:45:26 AM

So if you are an American voter and did not vote for Hillary, fuck you. If you still love Trump now, fuck you. The downfall of America is your fault. So fuck you.

You know some people voted for trump in order to shake up the status quo, since it became too one sided, and doing so would make people take it more seriously in the next elections.

I think your jumping the shark btw, America's not going to be destroyed by republican rule. It's had many republican presidents in the past and it survived all those. Sometimes you need to inject a virus into a body to help it grow its immunity. Sure all the shitting and puking is horrible, but you come out stronger for it the other end.

What you should be hoping for now is the democrats to get a new representative who isn't as bad as Hillary.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

This crop of Republicans is different. It's far more radicalized than before, and they are wasting no time turning the steering wheel hard to the right so that we will crash straight into a wall. Trump's Administration is so far to the right that it makes Bush Jr. look like Kennedy. Bush was in league solely with the neocons, but Trump does the bidding of the Religious Right, who pose the greatest danger to American freedom.

We survived other Republican administrations mainly because we had majority Dems in Congress and a Supreme Court that was not teetering on the brink, and we had Republicans who weren't all bible-thumping fascists.

I mean, they are going after Medicare and Social Security, as well as our national parks and national forests. They're going after Native Americans (who have more claim to this land than anyone) and handicapped people. What's next, the Smithsonian? (Shhh, I shouldn't give them ideas!) And they lie shamelessly and blatantly, but somehow that's OK with the Republicans (except for Lindsey Graham, who is showing a spine, but he'll be beaten back, for sure.)

Shake up the status quo? The status quo was pretty damn good. Voting Trump in is turning America into a fascist hellhole for the first time ever, and it is happening now as we speak.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

If trump is so bad he causes such damage to his own country, then he will be impeached. Though I do believe he choose Mike Pence purely on the fact of knowing he was a grotesque human being, and the best kind of insurance he could find because of it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

Quote from: Munch on January 25, 2017, 04:59:13 AM
If trump is so bad he causes such damage to his own country, then he will be impeached. Though I do believe he choose Mike Pence purely on the fact of knowing he was a grotesque human being, and the best kind of insurance he could find because of it.
Impeachment and conviction would require the cooperation of the Republican Congress, including a 2/3 vote of the Senate. It won't happen. The Republicans, with a few notable exceptions, think the sun shines out of his ass. For the most part, the destruction Trump is causing is what the Republicans want.

And even if he is impeached, we get Pence, who IS the Religious Reich.

Baruch

Well I guess y'all can move on down to the Confederate state of California ... playing a new tune on your banjo ... but only with your Left hand ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

No he won't.  The Republican leadership in Congress will turn a blind eye to everything he does.  The only way they will turn on him is if it looks like they're going to get decimated in the 2018 midterms -- and that won't happen because of the gerrymandered advantage they've given themselves in Congress.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on January 24, 2017, 05:50:21 AM
Sorry, but I didn't vote for Trump.  A gentleman would never say what he says, and I am a gentleman.  I always ask before I grab your pussy.
It's such a humorous topic! See all the women across the country laughing?

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

QuoteIf trump is so bad he causes such damage to his own country, then he will be impeached.

That of course assumes that the checks and balances don't all agree with him, and think that damage is not damage but progress.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Also, Pence is not a grotesque human being in the eyes of the Repub majority in the House and Senate -- I think many of them would consider him preferable to Asshole, and he has the advantage of actually having experience in a political executive office.  I think he's an odious little theocratic bigot, but the Repubs like theocratic bigots.

This is the major wild card out there right now: the more Asshole goes shooting off his mouth about... well, everything, really, the more his VP looks like a preferable option to the Republicans in Congress.  And while I have no use for Pence, I will not say he is utterly unqualified to hold office, unlike his boss.

This is actually a dangerous scenario for the Dems -- if Asshole gets so toxic that even Ryan and McConnell are ready to throw him overboard, that means keeping him in office is politically to the Democrats' advantage.  And unlike Nixon, Asshole is highly unlikely to resign even in the face of assured removal from office.  But they do not want to be in a position to vote to keep him in office, and they have enough votes in the Senate to prevent a conviction on an impeachment.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on January 25, 2017, 10:49:40 AMThis is actually a dangerous scenario for the Dems -- if Asshole gets so toxic that even Ryan and McConnell are ready to throw him overboard, that means keeping him in office is politically to the Democrats' advantage.  And unlike Nixon, Asshole is highly unlikely to resign even in the face of assured removal from office.  But they do not want to be in a position to vote to keep him in office, and they have enough votes in the Senate to prevent a conviction on an impeachment.
So he should be blocked but not prematurely removed from power.  Question is, will the Dems make enough of a comeback in the midterms to make that happen?

Shiranu

There is heavy talk that Trump will be cutting funds to the National Endowment of the Arts & Humanities... particularly NPR and PBS, which both opposed him. Silence any media that doesn't agree with you.

Is it still too early to judge Trump? And is it really the SJW silencing people who disagree with them that's a threat, when the president of the United States is the one actually successfully doing it?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 25, 2017, 10:54:38 AM
So he should be blocked but not prematurely removed from power.  Question is, will the Dems make enough of a comeback in the midterms to make that happen?
I don't know.  But given their track record for allowing themselves to be run roughshod over, I don't care to make any optimistic predictions.  The best I can offer is the hope that by the midterms, Asshole will be so spectacularly unpopular that the Dems make gains despite their ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 25, 2017, 10:54:38 AM

Not if they continue to double down with the same failed strategy.

PS - new theory about Watergate, was it was a setup orchestrated by the Bush bunch, to punish Nixon for choosing Agnew over George H W for VP.  So how does that kind of machination fit into your naive view of politics?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.