How do you feel about the new president of USA?

Started by Rob4you, November 11, 2016, 03:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2016, 08:22:38 PM
Door-in-the-face technique?  Make an extreme request and then when it's turned down, make a less extreme request that will more likely to be viewed as reasonable and accepted.  It's like putting $200 jeans on "sale" at $75.  Either price is idiotic, but the buyer feels better about the purchase because he/she avoided the outrageous original price.

Maybe. But I think you're probably giving Trump too much credit. I think he's just a moron who got extremely lucky.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2016, 08:22:38 PM
Door-in-the-face technique?  Make an extreme request and then when it's turned down, make a less extreme request that will more likely to be viewed as reasonable and accepted.  It's like putting $200 jeans on "sale" at $75.  Either price is idiotic, but the buyer feels better about the purchase because he/she avoided the outrageous original price.

I have to admit that is an unnerving possibility, and in any case I think it's a good idea to monitor situations like this very closely over the next few months.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 22, 2016, 12:53:15 AM
Maybe. But I think you're probably giving Trump too much credit. I think he's just a moron who got extremely lucky.

Yes, politicians are mostly morons who got extremely lucky.  Hillary wasn't very lucky.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Quote from: pr126 on November 20, 2016, 05:40:49 AM
From BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) to TDS?

Pace it out guys, you have 4 years to go yet. Easy there.

Yeah, we've got years of great comedy to enjoy! Those Republicans he's in bed with, as well as all those world leaders, are going to run rings around the Chump-in Chief. It's bad for Ameica and the world, but great for our entertainment (and CNN). After all, someone said that life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 21, 2016, 10:30:11 PM
I despise Trump personally.  I fear his Presidency.  But I am going to wait to see what he actually DOES before taking to the street...

The racists, bigots and science deniers he's floated so far for positions of authority are all the doing I need to see him do, to know that it's going to be spectacularly awful.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

If the D party has a bad time ... it is their own fault.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I knew we should've elected Pat Paulson while we had the chance...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

If people elected their meteorologist ... then they would get the weather they deserve ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllRight

I have been deeply disturbed by his election to the presidency. I have lost friends over it and my own father has not spoken to me since before the election. I'm trying to look at the bright side, but as a mother of an adult son with a disability I am very concerned about the future of Medicare and Social Security, two things Trump led his supporters to believe that he did not want to change. This election has changed the way I think of my friends, family and country. The first few days I was really afraid for my safety. As a known Hillary supporter I work with rabid Trump supporters. Women are outnumbered in the building I work in by 10 to 1 and I could see the attitudes change the day after the election. The obvious leering, the emboldened racist and sexual comments, and the outright gleeful celebration that this creep won and he will finally put the evil woman in prison for her emails (smh). I have a feeling many of his supporters are going to be very disappointed that he lied to them. Maybe I'm wrong and they just have a blind faith in him but he already seems to be back peddling on so many of the core issues he ran on.

Atheon

I still see no indication that Chump's likely presidency is going to be nothing other than a country-destroying disaster. I hope the more mainstream Republicans are going to be embarrassed to the point that they turn on Trump and his Naziesque supporters.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: AllRight on November 25, 2016, 05:34:20 AM
I have been deeply disturbed by his election to the presidency. I have lost friends over it and my own father has not spoken to me since before the election. I'm trying to look at the bright side, but as a mother of an adult son with a disability I am very concerned about the future of Medicare and Social Security, two things Trump led his supporters to believe that he did not want to change. This election has changed the way I think of my friends, family and country. The first few days I was really afraid for my safety. As a known Hillary supporter I work with rabid Trump supporters. Women are outnumbered in the building I work in by 10 to 1 and I could see the attitudes change the day after the election. The obvious leering, the emboldened racist and sexual comments, and the outright gleeful celebration that this creep won and he will finally put the evil woman in prison for her emails (smh). I have a feeling many of his supporters are going to be very disappointed that he lied to them. Maybe I'm wrong and they just have a blind faith in him but he already seems to be back peddling on so many of the core issues he ran on.

I am so sorry this event has traumatized you.  I didn't vote for Trump, but for most voters who didn't vote for Hillary, it is not our intention to challenge you over this, just an inevitable change of power (hopefully peaceful) and a swing of the political pendulum.

I am also depending, in my family, on Medicare, Medicaid and SS.  My daughter is adult handicapped.  Every challenge to those programs is a threat to my family members.  I consider all politicians as threats to the status quo ... they have a tendency to change things, not always for the better.

If you are in work environment where the other employees are "challenging" ... I am sorry for that also.  Fortunately there is no recrimination at my place of work, for not voting for Trump.  The majority who voted there, did vote for Trump, because they are very conservative.  Of course all elected officials will prove disappointing in many ways.  Obama did IMHO.  Your coworkers must have been jerks before the election though.  If friends break because of this, they weren't real friends.  My best work-friend is a rabid Sarah Palin supporter (I just hold my nose if she speaks of it).

I hope that your father will get over it.  I wouldn't have argued or chastised my daughter if she had voted for Hillary.  Turns out we both voted for Johnson.  My Ex and her husband I suspect voted opposite ... my Ex for Hillary and her husband for Trump.  So a family divided three ways ... but hopefully not argumentative.

The closest I have come to your experience ... my mother voted for George Wallace in 1968.  I couldn't vote yet.  Had a hard time reconciling her choice (but no problem with her personally, I can separate politics from personal relationship).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR