News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Election Results

Started by SGOS, November 08, 2016, 08:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 13, 2016, 12:46:20 AM
This idea has been kicked around for decades, including several serious attempts to do in the Electoral College.  Currently, there's a promising proposal called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact where many states have pooled their electoral votes and would award them to whichever candidate won the popular vote.  If put into effect with enough electoral votes, it would make the Electoral College obsolete.  Unfortunately, convincing swing and red states to get on board looks unlikely and may keep it perpetually inactive.

I've always favored direct vote for a couple reasons.  The current system puts too much emphasis on swing states and disincentivizes people from voting who don't live in a swing state (non-Democrats in California have basically no say in the election, as do non-Republicans in Alabama).  Further, it's ridiculous that a single person's vote in one state is worth more than a person's vote in another state (Wyoming has more electoral votes per capita than California).  Putting it to a popular vote would be the only way to ensure that every person's vote actually matters.

One criticism of this is that it would nullify current advantage of rural votes and put elections in the hands of urban populations.  But why should city dwellers perpetually be at the mercy of comparatively small rural populations?

(No joke, I've brought up the issue and had someone wonder why Presidential elections are often so close when a map of US counties show that most of them are red - it apparently never occurred to her that the "heartland" has few people per square mile and that blue counties contain enormous numbers of people)

I once had an argument with my Dad, who pointed out that most of the country map seemed Red Republican.  I asked him if we voted by person or acre.  He said "by person of course", and then he realized what I meant.  He was actually surprised.  He had been thinking that more Republican RED on the map meant more people!

And he still couldn't get past thinking that total color meant "voters".

Clinton got more voters than Trump.  Shouldn't that matter? . 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 13, 2016, 02:21:36 AM
I once had an argument with my Dad, who pointed out that most of the country map seemed Red Republican.  I asked him if we voted by person or acre.  He said "by person of course", and then he realized what I meant.  He was actually surprised.  He had been thinking that more Republican RED on the map meant more people!

And he still couldn't get past thinking that total color meant "voters".

Clinton got more voters than Trump.  Shouldn't that matter? .

It does, it shows that over 1/2 of the voting public (less than 1/2 of all adults though, since 44% didn't vote) are Soros stooges.  If 44% of the people didn't vote ... shouldn't that matter too?  Time to end the US as a country, it is a failure, sadly.

And yes, I am in fly-over-country ... so I am glad that the metro locations will get the nuke explosions first ... if nukes are inevitable.  Cities are works of the Devil anyway.  Ever read the Cross Of Gold speech by William Jennings Bryan?  1892 Chicago D Convention barn raiser!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on November 12, 2016, 10:59:15 PM
Thank you for the replies. Very educational...
In case you haven't seen or done it, you might find this interesting. I can't sign because I am not American, but I urge you to.

https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/abolish-the-electoral-6?source=homepage

Did you see my new post on various voting systems?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on November 13, 2016, 09:50:45 AM
Did you see my new post on various voting systems?
No Baruch, can you point me to it? Really busy at work with limited time, but like to read about alternative voting systems. Thks
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Baruch

Quote from: reasonist on November 13, 2016, 10:49:29 AM
No Baruch, can you point me to it? Really busy at work with limited time, but like to read about alternative voting systems. Thks

https://vimeo.com/190024419
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Perhaps this election will light a fire under the Democrats asses..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Just be sure that the donkey isn't farting when you light up ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on November 13, 2016, 09:49:39 AM
Time to end the US as a country, it is a failure, sadly.

I think the US ended when the Constitution was scrapped in favor of Bush on 12/23/2000. Without the Constitution we have no country, just a bunch of land and some people: no Constitution, no America.

Conflicts of Interest in Bush v. Gore: Did Some
Justices Vote Illegally?

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 15, 2016, 06:14:56 PM
I think the US ended when the Constitution was scrapped in favor of Bush on 12/23/2000. Without the Constitution we have no country, just a bunch of land and some people: no Constitution, no America.
Sad thing is, it's all quite constitutional. The electoral college, not popular vote, decides the president.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Unbeliever

The electoral college is in the constitut
Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on November 15, 2016, 06:24:14 PM
Sad thing is, it's all quite constitutional. The electoral college, not popular vote, decides the president.

The Constitution says the SCOTUS can pick the president?
God Not Found

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 15, 2016, 06:31:50 PM
The electoral college is in the constitut
The Constitution says the SCOTUS can pick the president?
It says that it's up to electors, not the populace, to pick the president. Bush got the higher electoral vote, so therefore according the the constitution he won.

Unbeliever

So, America's not quite dead yet?

God Not Found

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 15, 2016, 06:37:02 PM
So, America's not quite dead yet?

Possible, even though they have never gone against the initial results. We'll see December 19th.

Baruch

Tell that to Scalia and the Gang of Nine ... if the recount had continued, Gore would have won Florida, it was imperative for the Conservatives to stop the recount.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

That is true.  But the same constitution has a built-in mechanism that allows for change (I think the founders thought the constitution should be a living document, not something cut in stone)--so the electoral college can be changed or even gotten rid of.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?