News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Does math exist?

Started by Plu, June 05, 2013, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missingnocchi

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Fine, that's a little bit better expressed than your previous post.
I'm overjoyed at your approval.

QuoteMath doesn't describe anything in the real world. It is an abstraction based on the identity law and the law of substitution. Instead of saying, "there's a sheep there, and a sheep next to it", I can substitute, "there are two sheep over there". It's the same reality, just a different description.  
If those laws are as true in reality as they are on paper, then there must be a reason for it. An existence in our universe that causes them to be true. If it's only in between the lines, a coincidence of literally universal proportions, so be it. I would contend that that's unlikely, though.

QuoteI'm a university professor, teaching physics for the last 25 years, and I'm very demanding. Don't ever get into my class. You have no chance of passing.
Bold words to say to a stranger from another country on the Internet. I don't know how you sleep at night.
What's a "Leppo?"

Seabear

QuoteI'm a university professor, teaching physics for the last 25 years, and I'm very demanding. Don't ever get into my class. You have no chance of passing.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

aitm

Quote from: "Seabear"
[ Image ]

while I love the touche' your siggy line makes it rather moot.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Seabear

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Seabear"
[ Image ]

while I love the touche' your siggy line makes it rather moot.
Sure, whatever.
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "missingnocchi"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Fine, that's a little bit better expressed than your previous post.
I'm overjoyed at your approval.

You should be. My students pay a lot of money to get it (in tuition fees).

QuoteMath doesn't describe anything in the real world. It is an abstraction based on the identity law and the law of substitution. Instead of saying, "there's a sheep there, and a sheep next to it", I can substitute, "there are two sheep over there". It's the same reality, just a different description.  
If those laws are as true in reality as they are on paper, then there must be a reason for it. An existence in our universe that causes them to be true. If it's only in between the lines, a coincidence of literally universal proportions, so be it. I would contend that that's unlikely, though.

Our models get better because we continuously refined them with new discoveries and new theories. Take for instance Bequerel's discovery that uranium gave off radiation. Until then, no one suspected that a rock could give off energy on its own. And all the prevailing theories about matter at the time could not explain that phenomenon. It took the works of the Curies, Einstein, Rutherford, Bohr, Schroedinger and Heisenberg before we had a theory that could describe it with Quantum Mechanics.

But at the end of the day, we only have a model that describes more or less the reality out there. Never confuse the model with reality. The model is what we create in our minds.

Bold words to say to a stranger from another country on the Internet. I don't know how you sleep at night.
I sleep very well, thank you, and when I don't, I blog.

Plu

It seems my topic is devolving into some kind of dick-measuring context. It's a good thing math allows us to objectively compare such things, I guess?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"It seems my topic is devolving into some kind of dick-measuring context. It's a good thing math allows us to objectively compare such things, I guess?

Indeed, math is one of the greatest invention, along with the alphabet, and it took us from cave-dwelling to landing on the moon.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Plu"It seems my topic is devolving into some kind of dick-measuring context. It's a good thing math allows us to objectively compare such things, I guess?

I have a yard stick  (no pressure boys)

*hands on hips*  Now.............  *ahem* Who's dick am I measuring?   Line em up!

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

Yard stick? Whut?
I'm so bad at math
 :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm":-#

:popcorn:

gotta have a little bit of fun - eh?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

robbcayman

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"

Indeed, math is one of the greatest invention, along with the alphabet, and it took us from cave-dwelling to landing on the moon.

So, it took us from rocks to more rocks. I kid, I kid.  :)

SixNein

Quote from: "Plu"An interesting video on the topic of whether or not math is even a real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bNymweHW4E

I'd like to hear your opinions. I'm still trying to figure out my own :P

Short answer, no.

Suppose you have a monitor with a length x and a width x giving you an area of x^2. You know the area of a monitor is c, and you want to find the distance x. So you build the equation x^2=c and solve it. This will create 2 equations. x = sqrt(c) and x=-sqrt(c). One of them make sense in reality, the other is tossed.

Mathematics doesn't have the limitation of our reality.

Colanth

Quote from: "SixNein"
Quote from: "Plu"An interesting video on the topic of whether or not math is even a real thing.

Short answer, no.

Suppose you have a monitor with a length x and a width x giving you an area of x^2. You know the area of a monitor is c, and you want to find the distance x. So you build the equation x^2=c and solve it. This will create 2 equations. x = sqrt(c) and x=-sqrt(c). One of them make sense in reality, the other is tossed.

Mathematics doesn't have the limitation of our reality.
Sure it does.  The first answer is sometimes called the real root.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Brian37

No controversy just mental masturbation woo garbage.

YES math exists. PERIOD.

This is as stupid as saying speed doesn't exist.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Jason78

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
I have a yard stick  (no pressure boys)

*hands on hips*  Now.............  *ahem* Who's dick am I measuring?   Line em up!
 :rollin:

You are measuring from the base right?  And girth?  And are you taking the angle of the erection into account?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato