News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Career, what is it?

Started by randomvim, September 26, 2016, 01:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomvim

Quote from: aitm on September 26, 2016, 09:51:21 PM
Yeah, I am really tired of my job, mostly because my babble thumper bosses don't think I am pious enough and I don't get to do the shit I really excel at. So I just run construction projects and don't get to manage or bid anymore cause I don't have "gods grace". They don't say that , but that is the reason. But yes, I do it because the money is good. So ….meh..I imagine the % of peeps who hate their jobs is about 90 and those who don't have a job is about 40 and those who have a job and hate it is about 60 and those who are just trying to fucking eat is around 40. Okay,,,,I can deal with a partially shitty job that pays well. Life is subjective.
why not try to be at the area you exceed at?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aitm

Quote from: randomvim on September 27, 2016, 05:19:14 PM
why not try to be at the area you exceed at?

I would have to go to work for a new company…..new companies don't normally hire +60 year old when they can get 30yr old for 20 grand a year cheaper no matter what the resume says.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: aitm on September 27, 2016, 06:38:48 PM
I would have to go to work for a new company…..new companies don't normally hire +60 year old when they can get 30yr old for 20 grand a year cheaper no matter what the resume says.

QFT
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

randomvim

Quote from: aitm on September 27, 2016, 06:38:48 PM
even if you go for a higher position with more responsibility?

AllPurposeAtheist

Was self employed for years, some profitable,  some not and almost all of it off the books. I never liked getting bossed around by kids half my age beginning around 30 something so decided that I'd rather starve than put up with snotnosed kids pretending they know shit when the only thing they were good at was ass kissing to people who had absolutely no business managing people. Now it's social security the rest of my days and the occasional off the books profit I can make by selling items I make in my shop. Since I don't really have a huge need for a lot of money I'm fine being one of the takers  sucking down ALL OF your hard earned taxes. I have about as much interest in working for a corporation as I do in lighting my rectum on fire in busy traffic during a tornado on the hottest day of the year. I get by quite well on about $25 a day from YOUR hard earned dollars so fuck you very much Mr and Mrs conservative.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: randomvim on September 28, 2016, 01:54:12 AM

Work world is a pyramid, small at the top.  There are too many old people, and not enough senior jobs ... so most older people who do get to work a long time at what they are good at ... stagnate in inferior positions.  If you think it is hard to get on the bottom rung first, then you have never tried to join by getting on the top rung first.  People are not hired or promoted solely on merit.  And some people who are terminated, are better than those who terminate them.  Life is not only unfair, it is ineffective and inefficient.

"why not try to be at the area you exceed at?" ... What Color Is Your Parachute doesn't work in the real world, unfortunately.  Doing that self actualization sometimes works, and sometimes not.  Usually not ... because people don't pay you simply because what a wonderful person you are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: randomvim on September 28, 2016, 01:54:12 AM

Actually I already have the most responsibility, that's why the money is good. The "bosses" get to do the fun work of getting the projects but once the project is handed to me, I am responsible for the entire project. Thats when peeps who don't know construction start poking their pie-holes into my "bidniz" and it becomes less than fun. For instance, at the weekly construction meetings, jerk-offs who know very little about construction, but are getting paid to monitor the money and watch the schedule updates insist on rambling for 10 minutes over something, "just make sure, don't forget this....keep us informed..." as if suddenly everything I have been doing for the last thirty years has been forgotten and I have to be reminded to wipe my ass.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

I like where the old bearded computer geek in suspenders, flips a nickel to a young beardless computer geek, and tells him to go buy a real computer, one that uses Unix ;-)  The 20th somethings are older versions of teen somethings, who think they know everything now ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I did twenty years in the USN, that's a career. I've done twenty-six as a historian, that was a passion.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jack89

I quit my job as a contract security manager in March of 2015 to hike the Appalachian Trail, and haven't worked for money since.  I was making close to 90k a year including my military pension.  I now live off of my pension of a little over 30k a year.  I'm considerably happier and more fulfilled now.

I spent 21 years in the Army, most of that in US Special Forces (Green Berets), specializing in small arms, operations and intelligence, and as a medic.  Mostly a medic though.  I retired, got my BS in Geology from ASU, didn't work in geology, and instead worked 12 years in contract security. 

I've found that I am content and fulfilled when I'm working with people to help people, even if the conditions suck.  I'm convinced it's a primal thing.

Cavebear

I went from a minimum wage employee at several department stores to being in charge of a quarter of a department store, to a GS5 at a Federal Agency through a demanding merit test, to the Telecommunications Manager at that agency developing ways to read and manage long distance telephone networks and eventually controlling smart phone and data device expenses.  I saved the government several million dollars each year in  return for my paltry industry-laughable salary.

What did YOU do?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 08:22:44 AM
What did YOU do?

What I do every Monday to friday depends on how I'm feeling.

When I have a Good day, my job is helping people better their lives and help them take control of their futures.
When I have a bad day, my job is Getting lied to and watching people slowly drown.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Johan

What's a career? Is it the job you happen to be doing now? Is it the job or field you're in or ultimately want to end up in?

I actually wear many different hats at work but at the core of it, I work for a trucking company and my primary role is being the boss. Or actually one of the bosses. I'm not the big boss, more the little boss, my boss is the big boss. Still, what I say goes and if you don't straighten up and fly right when I tell you to, you end up answering to the big boss. And uncomfortable meetings with him are usually far more uncomfortable than uncomfortable meetings with me.

Is that my career? I guess its my career right now. I really like where I am and what I'm doing so hopefully it will be my career from here on out. What I've learned is that while I know trucking fairly well and I'm fairly good at it, what I'm actually good at is being a boss. So if we had to move next week, I'd probably look for a similar job in trucking, but if I couldn't find one specifically in trucking, I'd look for a management position involving or related to logistics of some sort in whatever industry was available.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

A good boss is a rare bird.  Don't put salt on your tail.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on October 27, 2016, 10:41:01 PM
A good boss is a rare bird.  Don't put salt on your tail.
Most bosses are just bird brains

Sent from your mom.