News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Washington Shooting, 5 Dead

Started by drunkenshoe, September 25, 2016, 04:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

He is a 20 year old Turkish American kid. Looks like an ordinary shooting for now. Apparently he refuses to say anything.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/24/us/washington-mall-shooting/index.html

Washington mall shooting: Police arrest 20-year-old suspect

Quote(CNN)One day after a shooting left five people dead at a mall north of Seattle, authorities arrested a 20-year-old suspect Saturday after an overnight manhunt that left the city on edge.

Arcan Cetin is suspected of killing four women and a man Friday night at the Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington.
Washington state authorities said it's too early to rule out terrorism or anything else because their investigation is still in the preliminary stages.
Before the suspect's arrest, an official with the FBI had told reporters there was "no evidence at this time" of a link to terrorism.

'Kind of zombie-like'
When police confronted the suspect walking down the street near his residence in Oak Harbor, he did not try to run, he just froze and complied, said Lt. Mike Hawley of the Island County Sheriff's Office.
The suspect, who was not armed at the time of his arrest, said nothing, "kind of zombie-like," Hawley said.
Cetin immigrated from Turkey and is a legal permanent resident of the United States, authorities said. It's unclear when he moved to the US.
Overnight manhunt
The shooting stunned the small town as authorities warned residents to stay indoors and be on alert Friday night. The gunman vanished into the night along Interstate 5 after the attack, according to state patrol Sgt. Mark Francis
For much of Saturday, authorities searched the mall for evidence. A blurry surveillance photo of a rifle-toting man inside the mall offered a big lead in the hunt for the shooter.
"The city of Burlington has probably changed forever," Mayor Steve Sexton said. "This is a senseless act. It was the world knocking on our doorstep, and it came to our little community here."

Motive unknown
Authorities say they believe only one person fired the shots that killed five people.

he grainy security camera footage showed the suspect initially appearing to enter the mall unarmed and -- about 10 minutes later -- walking into Macy's carrying a rifle.
The suspect "fired multiple times, struck four females ranging in age from a teenager to seniors," said Mount Vernon police Lt. Chris Cammock.
It's unclear whether the suspect knew his victims.

"I don't know what his motivation was," Cammock said. "I don't know what his motivation was to continue, I don't know what his motivation was to stop, but I certainly intend to find out."

He said police recovered a rifle at the mall but would not disclose the type or caliber.
The FBI office in Seattle is helping with a review of intelligence. There's no information to suggest additional attacks were planned in the state, it tweeted.
Moviegoers asked to leave
Witnesses described chaotic scenes and confusion when the shooting started about 7 p.m. Friday local time.
Brandi Montreuil told CNN she was watching a movie at the mall when attendants suddenly told them to leave.
"I didn't know anything," she said. "The theater attendant came in and apologized for stopping the movie and said they were asked to have everyone leave immediately."

At first, she thought it was a drill.
"But you immediately think about what happened in Aurora, Colorado, so you start moving faster," she said, referring to the 2012 shooting at a movie theater that left 12 dead.
When they got outside, they saw police vehicles but no officers in sight, Montreuil said.
"We didn't know if it was a fire so we were looking for smoke of some kind. Then a few officers started canvassing through the crowds, asking if anybody saw anything."
An officer "with a large gun started yelling for people to leave and fast," she said.
Chaos, confusion

Armando Patino said he was working at a T-Mobile store near Macy's when he heard the commotion.
"Out of nowhere I just hear somebody yell and then after that, I turn around and just look at the Macy's and I just hear shots," Patino told CNN affiliate KOMO-TV in Seattle.
"I hear one shot and then stand kinda still and like two, three other people start running out saying, 'gun.' "
Some people dashed out of Macy's, unsure of where to go.
"I just moved them into the (T-Mobile) store," Patino said.
"We went in the back where we have a door ... and we just stayed there until they told us to evacuate."
Officers using K-9 units searched the 434,000-square feet mall throughout the night, including in secure rooms, authorities said.

Victims' identities not released
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee sent his condolences to the families of the victims and prayers to those injured.
The bodies were removed from the mall Saturday and are in the possession of the Skagit County Coroner's Office.
The coroner's office is identifying the victims and notifying their families before the names are released publicly.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

Imagine if he couldn't get his hands on guns.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

Guns don't kill people, people do! /sarc
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on September 25, 2016, 05:24:36 AM
Imagine if he couldn't get his hands on guns.

Imagine if every nut case was kept in a sanatarium against their will, sent their by compassionate parents ... and paid for by a compassionate government.  We used to do that, but their rights were violated.  When they let some folks out in the 70s, thanks to the movie One Flew Over A Cookoo's Nest ... one former patient knifed an innocent waiting in line at the airport.  What if we couldn't get our hands on knives.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 25, 2016, 06:15:59 AM

So the only perp's error ... is not killing more killer apes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 25, 2016, 06:15:59 AM
"But I think the gun helps."
~ Eddy Izard

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 25, 2016, 12:38:17 PM
"But I think the gun helps."
~ Eddy Izard

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).

So does the lack of a frontal lobotomy.  Lobotomies for everyone!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on September 25, 2016, 10:47:22 AM
Yeah, Imagine....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childers_Palace_Backpackers_Hostel_fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_family_murders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quakers_Hill,_New_South_Wales#Nursing_home_fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairns_child_killings

I also want to guess that people freaked out over these because they almost never happen vs nonchalantly said, "Oh. Another shooting. Meh.".

Also, except for one of them it targeted people confined into a very tight space or too young/too old to fight back. That's a bit less indiscriminate than a gun which can take out the most capable person with no struggle at all, in any environment and at any time.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2016, 02:48:24 PM
I also want to guess that people freaked out over these because they almost never happen vs nonchalantly said, "Oh. Another shooting. Meh.".
And a guess is exactly what that would be.

QuoteAlso, except for one of them it targeted people confined into a very tight space or too young/too old to fight back. That's a bit less indiscriminate than a gun which can take out the most capable person with no struggle at all, in any environment and at any time.
Yeah, about what I expected. I've stopped being surprised.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on September 25, 2016, 03:05:33 PM
And a guess is exactly what that would be.

Yeah, about what I expected. I've stopped being surprised.

A pretty educated guess though, given those events are rare whereas shootings... aren't, and when they happen it makes international news and everyone is shocked.

Oh, I got the point, I just found it utterly irrelevant and a poor one to try to excuse the fact that guns make killing unbelievably easy... and when you couple that with various factors in society and make them possible for anyone to get in about 20 minutes by just driving to their local Walmart... you are setting up a system where mass shootings are an inevitability. And lo-and-behold, they are.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Oak Harbor.  I've been there.  There's a Naval Air base there, but it's a very nice little spot. 

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on September 25, 2016, 03:22:43 PM
A pretty educated guess though, given those events are rare whereas shootings... aren't, and when they happen it makes international news and everyone is shocked.
Actually I think you will find that in the country where those events took place and at the time that they took place, they were in fact statistically no more frequent nor rare than the mass shootings that came before them historically speaking.

So yeah. That.

And lest you misunderstand where I'm coming from, I'm not on the don't ban guns side. If its possible for a gun owner to not have a dog in this race, that would be me. I own couple guns. But you or anyone else is welcome to come git 'em if we decide that doing what Australia did is the way to go. For clarification purposes, that would mean you or someone else would come and take my .22 (hopefully giving me some kind of equitable compensation for it in the process). And I would immediately replace it with a pump action .22 which is what I'd rather own anyway.

The point I am making is that every time someone posts something to effect of 'if only guns were outlawed.... yada yada yada after these events happen, the assumed implication (at least to my reading of it) is that if we made guns illegal, people would magically stop carrying out senseless mass murders on unsuspecting victims in the shear numbers that we're currently seeing.

And my standard response to that is well, we don't have to guess, we've got history on our side. And history shows that when you take away the guns, people do not in fact stop carrying out senseless mass murders on unsuspecting victims. In fact they keep doing it with a very similar rate of occurrence.  That's not speculation, it history. Look it up.

And now comes the important bit so read this carefully. I am in no way saying restricting access to guns isn't PART of a potential solution. In fact I believe it is. But I believe history has shown us that it is most definitely only one very small part of any potential solution which ultimately MUST attempt to tackle the core problem of why so many individuals feel the need to commit such acts these days.

And for that reason I am inclined to be offended anytime someone makes a glib little smug comment which suggests that if we ONLY limit access to guns everything will be solved. Its a comment based in ignorance. I don't believe anyone who understands the problem or the what would be a truly effective solution would ever make a comment like that.

If I'm wrong about that then I'm wrong. But I don't think I'll ever be able to read comments like that without thinking this is a person who does not understand what the fuck they're talking about.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

If you say so. I care less about how rare their murders are and more how frequent ours are... and you said it yourself, their mass shootings were rare as well... which was my point that you only confirmed. They flip out over mass murder, we just shrug and say, "It is what it is.".

QuoteThe U.S. represents less than 5% of the 7.3 billion global population but accounted for 31% of global mass shooters during the period from 1966 to 2012, more than any other country, Mr. Lankford said, adding that he defines a mass shooter as one who killed at least four victims.

Sorry, but numbers like this are what interest me. Call me crazy, but I don't believe Americans are genetically predisposed, or culturally so different from every other human being on earth, to believe that it's our people are rampaging violent maniacs, nor that we have an abnormally disproportionate number of mentally ill people.

I don't know why the concept of, "Easy access to a gun = easy access to use a gun" seems like such a shocking and earth-shattering proposition to some people. And the statistics don't lie; if you own a gun, you are more likely to be murdered or commit murder. So why is the logical solution of restricting access to guns such a sin to say?

Johan

Sorry dude. Edited my post while you were typing.