"Real Reason White People Say, 'All Lives Matter.' "

Started by Shiranu, September 22, 2016, 12:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 22, 2016, 12:52:23 PM
Seems to me that language has ceased to be much use in these matters anymore as language is just too easy to manipulate and a very large portion of the population is too stupid to realize they're being manipulated with simple words.

Called neurolinguistic programming, used by totalitarians everywhere ... get the new edition in New Speak!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on September 22, 2016, 09:51:18 PM
Called neurolinguistic programming, used by totalitarians everywhere ... get the new edition in New Speak!
Divide and conquer.

Gawdzilla Sama

"All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men say nothing."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Atheon

"If you’re like me, growing up, the word 'Black' was always spoken of in whispers in your family. It was like we were saying something taboo."

Not in my family. We had productive discussions about race relations. My parents (and community I grew up in) were and are vigorously opposed to racism.

Oh, and while growing up, I learned it's racist to capitalize "Black" and "White".
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

http://www.wral.com/nc-congressman-charlotte-protesters-hate-white-people-/16039184/

Republican 9th District Congressman Robert Pittenger said protesters in Charlotte "hate white people because white people are successful and they're not."

Way to help quiet the rioting in Charlotte, Sparky!

Hijiri Byakuren

I think there would be far less controversy if the movement had been called "Black Lives Matter, Too." But that's just another one of my Harmful Opinions.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 23, 2016, 11:18:21 AM
I think there would be far less controversy if the movement had been called "Black Lives Matter, Too." But that's just another one of my Harmful Opinions.

Is that your YouTube channel?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 23, 2016, 11:32:28 AM
Is that your YouTube channel?
No, I was just giving the guy a shout-out. My YouTube channel is the one linked in my signature.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 23, 2016, 11:18:21 AM

You are probably right, it just feels like that should be obvious what it means. I also don't see it as a big issue because it says matters... Not Black Lives Are Important or something that gives the impression of superiority.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2016, 07:26:54 AM
"All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men say nothing."

it turns out that good men aren't useful even when they do something ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on September 23, 2016, 09:47:01 AM
"If you’re like me, growing up, the word 'Black' was always spoken of in whispers in your family. It was like we were saying something taboo."

Not in my family. We had productive discussions about race relations. My parents (and community I grew up in) were and are vigorously opposed to racism.

Oh, and while growing up, I learned it's racist to capitalize "Black" and "White".

Too milquetoast ... as I understood it growing up, when a White cop pistol whips a Black man merely for being uppity ... that is racism.  What we have now is plain old murder.  That congress-critter shows that the New South went out of office with President Carter.

I was taught more by stupid society than by my parents, that judging people on the basis of their skin color is not nearly as effective as judging people on their criminal record.  Otherwise White criminals will use their natural camouflage to take advantage of you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2016, 12:16:39 PM
it turns out that good men aren't useful even when they do something ;-)
I beg your pardon. I shot the shit out of S.E.A., that was useful. It got me a paycheck.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2016, 12:22:19 PM
I beg your pardon. I shot the shit out of S.E.A., that was useful. It got me a paycheck.

But where you bad person ... good at it, or merely a good person who was bad at it (rhetorical question).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2016, 12:23:45 PM
But where you bad person ... good at it, or merely a good person who was bad at it (rhetorical question).
Nope, I was a total Boy Scout. Just ask my mom.
PZ Myers