'There Is No God', or 'I Believe There Is No God'?

Started by trdsf, September 01, 2016, 11:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 14, 2016, 10:09:44 PM
One man's idolatry is another man's revealed truth.
Nope, idolatry is worshipping any thing other than. The creator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackleaf

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 10:10:14 PM
No the reason that there are so many other religions and atheists and agnostics is not because God hasn't revealed himself but because everyone suppresses the truth in unrighteousness.

Some do it religiously, others with denial, some with substance abuse... etc.

Ah. So you really are stupid enough to think that Muslims don't honestly believe in their own religion. Okay.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 10:10:42 PM
Nope, idolatry is worshipping any thing other than. The creator.
Yup, and one man's idolatry is another man's revealed truth.

Your lack of self awareness is entertaining as always. I also think it's amusing how you treat me, considering what's written atop my avatar on every post I make on the real website (not the dumbed-down Tapatalk version). As I've said elsewhere, you really suck at doing your homework: you're happy to tell us that you're an "entrepreneur" -something so vague it could literally mean you own and operate a lemonade stand- but make no effort to find out who the people are that you're dealing with before casually dismissing them.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 14, 2016, 11:39:05 PM
That's what I thought.

I'm prettty sure I said more then that in my answer lol...

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:45:54 PM
I'm prettty sure I said more then that in my answer lol...

It doesn't matter, for it made little sense anyway.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

alexxmedeiros

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 14, 2016, 11:46:48 PM
It doesn't matter, for it made little sense anyway.

Oh so you have an objective standard of sense, you mind telling us what that is?

Sal1981

God is hiding under a rock so heavy that he made that he himself was unable to lift it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: alexxmedeiros on October 14, 2016, 11:49:10 PM
Oh so you have an objective standard of sense, you mind telling us what that is?

I'll only continue with this if you tell me what you are driving at and stop with the inane questions.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 15, 2016, 08:06:20 AM
God is hiding under a rock so heavy that he made that he himself was unable to lift it.

He just couldn't resist testing that paradox, huh?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

A deity that is incompetent is far more horrible to imagine than none at all (which is easy).   Thank god the universe is safe from both.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

fencerider

To believe or not to believe that is the question. I guess you could also punt by saying "There is no god in this part of the universe".

I think telling someone there is no god is like telling a child there is no Santa Claus. It takes time for them to believe that you were lying to them before.(I have to say I think because the first time I heard about santa was in 7th or 8th grade. and my first reaction was why would anybody tell their kids something so stupid as Santa Claus handing out presents)
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on December 13, 2016, 01:14:23 AM
To believe or not to believe that is the question. I guess you could also punt by saying "There is no god in this part of the universe".

I think telling someone there is no god is like telling a child there is no Santa Claus. It takes time for them to believe that you were lying to them before.(I have to say I think because the first time I heard about santa was in 7th or 8th grade. and my first reaction was why would anybody tell their kids something so stupid as Santa Claus handing out presents)

Most parents love their children, and want them to have a happier childhood than they had.  However telling young people the whole truth and nothing but the truth, is cruel .. honest, but cruel.  Once your child grows up, hopefully you have been increasingly honest with them, until such a point as you can have an honest adult conversation with them.  At least that is how it worked with my own child.

This isn't to suggest that the notion of presenting a deity as some kind of parent, works on all levels.  It doesn't ... if taken too literally, you realize that G-d is a horrible parent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: fencerider on December 13, 2016, 01:14:23 AM
I think telling someone there is no god is like telling a child there is no Santa Claus. It takes time for them to believe that you were lying to them before.

LOL  Well, it may be a little different.  If you tell a 20 year old there is no Santa, he can go ask someone else.  Eventually, he will get enough confirmation that Santa was indeed a fake.  But you tell a 20 year old that there is no god, and 30 other people tell him there is, he's going to think you were wrong.  Unless of course he actually thinks about it himself.  I mean actually thinks, rather than just spin mental wheels by begging the questions, our using logic fraught with long strings of non-sequitur.

doorknob

lying to your child is only a good way to parent when you are teaching your children about honesty and how to spot a lie. It's good to be wise to bullshit at any age. But lying to a child in order to fool them into believing in some fantasy is counter productive. Why not teach your children to be gullible idiots while you're at it? I have never told my children that santa is real. I have always been against telling kids that.