News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Cloning Humans?

Started by BettaPonic, January 08, 2017, 07:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BettaPonic

I read Brave New World a month ago. I was wondering what everyone thought got of a society where everyone is a clone of one male and one female. What problems do you foresee? I can see disease is a problem with infectious disease due to a small gene pool.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mermaid

Quote from: BettaPonic on January 08, 2017, 07:06:51 PM
I read Brave New World a month ago. I was wondering what everyone thought got of a society where everyone is a clone of one male and one female. What problems do you foresee? I can see disease is a problem with infectious disease due to a small gene pool.
Any small environmental change could cause extinction.
Genetic bottlenecks are not a good thing.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: BettaPonic on January 08, 2017, 07:06:51 PMI was wondering what everyone thought got of a society where everyone is a clone of one male and one female. What problems do you foresee? I can see disease is a problem with infectious disease due to a small gene pool.
Their descendants would almost certainly die off after a few generations.  There's a reason why there's a taboo regarding incest.

Bare minimum, you'd need a couple hundred people to not wind up looking like a Duck Dynasty audience after a couple of generations.  Ideally, you'd need several thousand, if not ten thousand or more.

This isn't idle curiosity - space agencies have been planning on establishing space colonies, and it's important to know how many colonists you need to have to avoid a genetic bottleneck.

Baruch

Cloning was covered in a scifi episode once, story was pretty negative (they were needing to steal some DNA from the protagonists).  All they needed to do was ask.

Bioethics is very serious, but techno-utopians don't take ethics seriously, if it challenges their patents, their IPO, their connection to military bio-warfare, their connection to the MIC (medical industrial complex).

I expect people have or will try human cloning, as a way to make more easily available, cheaper, organ transplants.  This has been done in many fictions.  Cloning of animals and plants have the difficulty that was mentioned by previous posters.  The Irish potato famine comes to mind.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009