News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The hard liquor thread

Started by Mr.Obvious, August 24, 2016, 03:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Seeing as we have a favorite beer thread, this only seems logical.
A place to discuss some of our favorite, unholy spirits. Or perhaps some incredible finds.
I'm a beer drinker first. A wine enthousiast second. But harder stuff gets a well-deserved bronze medal.

I'll go first: Gouden Carolus.

(Trans: Golden Carolus)

Type: Single Malt Whisky.
Origin: Belgian - Stokerij De Molenberg (Trans: Brewery The Mill Mountain)
Strength: 46%
Discription: Maturation, minimum 3 years. Rich and balanced taste: fruit, vanille and crême brulée. Matured in "First fill Bourbon" cask with "het anker" cask finish.

Extra: Gouden Carolus used to just be a beer by 'Het Anker(/Stokerij de Molenberg)'. They've won and placed multiple times in world-beer-tournaments. About 6 years back tbe owners decided to expand their business. In medieval times Gouden Carolus had a different kind of stronger brew, but it's recipe was lost in time. Based on this, but realizing not to dwell in the past, one of the sons of the mostly family owned brewery decided to create a new 'legend'.
They bought the bronze distilling equipment and tanks from a whisky brewery in Scotland, thus helping this Belgian brew honor the whisky-tradition. For the first maturation First Fill Bourbon casks are used. But the product finishes ripening in their own, old beer casks from 'Het Anker' (Trans: 'The Anchor').
The result makes for an interesting taste. The beer casks, I think, help to give the malt an earthy pinch. But the flavor in and by itself is rather sweet and addictive. You really smell the bouquet of 'crême brulée'. Yet it never loses it's strong, burning sensation. That is not to say that this may not be for the die-hard whisky fan. It definitely doesn not pack that hard, tough punch. Yet that's what makes it so dangerous and easy to underestimate. I'd recomend it to anyone who enjoys a whisky. Even the die-hards, who may not find it amongst their top-ten. But I'm sure they'd enjoy the experience.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

I like whiskey liquer ... Irish Mist, Drambui, Southern Comfort.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I went for the blended Canadians back in the day.  Cheap ones toward the end of my drinking.

Shiranu

Some El Jimador tequila is always nice. Jamesons is solid. If we want flavour, you cant beat Bailey's.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

♫Scotch whisky, Scotch whisky,
Scotch whisky I cry!
If I don't get
Some Scotch whisky
I surely will die!♫
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Ooo, I am reminded that I need to pick up a bottle of something extra special for an upcoming convention -- the last two years it's been Tullamore Dew Single Malt (aka bottled bliss).  Tully is traditional -- anyone have experience with Tullamore Dew Phoenix?  I'm thinking of giving that a go this year.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on August 25, 2016, 10:26:40 AM
Ooo, I am reminded that I need to pick up a bottle of something extra special for an upcoming convention -- the last two years it's been Tullamore Dew Single Malt (aka bottled bliss).  Tully is traditional -- anyone have experience with Tullamore Dew Phoenix?  I'm thinking of giving that a go this year.
Try The Balvenie. Very smooth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 25, 2016, 11:48:11 AM
Try The Balvenie. Very smooth.
For another purpose I probably will, but Tully is really traditional for this event.  :)

Also I am reminded that I need to pick up at some point the Glenmorangie varieties -- Quinta Ruban at the very least.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solomon Zorn

I just drink beer now, but in my younger days, I used to like Yukon Jack, with a  lemon juice chaser. :jook:
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 29, 2016, 05:19:06 PM
I just drink beer now, but in my younger days, I used to like Yukon Jack, with a  lemon juice chaser. :jook:
I've never been able to develop a taste for beer, or wine for that matter. It's either cider or hard liquor, usually watered down since I don't have that great a tolerance for alcohol.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mr. Pibb

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 24, 2016, 03:34:49 PM
Seeing as we have a favorite beer thread, this only seems logical.
A place to discuss some of our favorite, unholy spirits. Or perhaps some incredible finds.
I'm a beer drinker first. A wine enthousiast second. But harder stuff gets a well-deserved bronze medal.

I'll go first: Gouden Carolus.

(Trans: Golden Carolus)

Type: Single Malt Whisky.
Origin: Belgian - Stokerij De Molenberg (Trans: Brewery The Mill Mountain)
Strength: 46%
Discription: Maturation, minimum 3 years. Rich and balanced taste: fruit, vanille and crême brulée. Matured in "First fill Bourbon" cask with "het anker" cask finish.

Extra: Gouden Carolus used to just be a beer by 'Het Anker(/Stokerij de Molenberg)'. They've won and placed multiple times in world-beer-tournaments. About 6 years back tbe owners decided to expand their business. In medieval times Gouden Carolus had a different kind of stronger brew, but it's recipe was lost in time. Based on this, but realizing not to dwell in the past, one of the sons of the mostly family owned brewery decided to create a new 'legend'.
They bought the bronze distilling equipment and tanks from a whisky brewery in Scotland, thus helping this Belgian brew honor the whisky-tradition. For the first maturation First Fill Bourbon casks are used. But the product finishes ripening in their own, old beer casks from 'Het Anker' (Trans: 'The Anchor').
The result makes for an interesting taste. The beer casks, I think, help to give the malt an earthy pinch. But the flavor in and by itself is rather sweet and addictive. You really smell the bouquet of 'crême brulée'. Yet it never loses it's strong, burning sensation. That is not to say that this may not be for the die-hard whisky fan. It definitely doesn not pack that hard, tough punch. Yet that's what makes it so dangerous and easy to underestimate. I'd recomend it to anyone who enjoys a whisky. Even the die-hards, who may not find it amongst their top-ten. But I'm sure they'd enjoy the experience.

Where can I get this?  The internet obviously, but is there a particular site that is good for hard to find alcohol purchases?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Mr. Pibb on September 20, 2016, 05:23:05 PM
Where can I get this?  The internet obviously, but is there a particular site that is good for hard to find alcohol purchases?

Good question... Gouden Carolus is a Belgian brew. And recently new. I'm guessing going outside of Belgium at this point makes finding it pretty hard. Out of Western Europe definitely... Didn't think about that yet...
I don't know about good hard-liquor website shops neither, never had a need :s I just buy it in the shop.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Jack89

I'm a big fan of whiskey, my favorite being Knob Creek, but I usually have a few glasses of cheap Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey every night.  Merica!

I ran out last night so I reached far into the cupboard (still staying at dad's house), and found a dusty and discolored bottle of Smirnoff vodka.  Not too bad, especially when you think you've just run out of booze. 

Gawdzilla Sama

I've been drinking Scotch for half a century. I still like finding new labels.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 20, 2016, 07:32:23 PM
I've been drinking Scotch for half a century. I still like finding new labels.

Peat and re-peat
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.