5-Y/O Syrian Boy Pulled From Rubble

Started by Shiranu, August 19, 2016, 02:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Poison Tree on August 19, 2016, 11:11:06 PM
The German Federal Office of Criminal Investigation (BKA) announced that crimes committed by refugees stood at the same level as those committed by native Germans. These findings are the result of an initial evaluation conducted by the BKA in cooperation with all federal states and commissioned by the Ministry of the Interior.

Of the more than 1,100 Syrians registered in Cologne, only five have been in trouble with the police. That is less than 0.5 percent.
It is a completely different story with immigrants from Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia though. "Activity quotas" for North Africans are no less than 40 percent. Asylum seekers from Bosnia-Herzegovina and Montenegro register similar numbers. [. . .] "They have no chance of gaining asylum, they cannot work here, they have no perspective, not here, not at home, so they have to make their living through crime."

Citing the latest findings from Germany's Federal Criminal Police Agency (BKA), on Wednesday the newspaper "Bild" reported that between 2014 and 2015, the number of crimes committed by refugees increased by 79 percent. Over the same period, however, the number of refugees in Germany increased by 440 percent.
I went to look for the link where I read about what I wrote to check and compare against yours, but the link seems to be a dead end now and not pointing to anything, which gives me the impression that it was false and I read wrong.

So, scratch what I said about refugee crime rates.

mauricio

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2016, 02:27:14 AM
Beware of propaganda.

Germany accepted over a million "asylum seekers" in 2015 of whom were 80% military age young men.
Ask yourself why would they flee a war zone, (assuming they were all from Syria, they were not) leaving their women, children, and elderly behind.

honestly i think it is because young males had the best chance of actually making it out of the meat grinder alive.

pr126

Quotehonestly i think it is because young males had the best chance of actually making it out of the meat grinder alive.
Would you in similar circumstances leave your family to die in the meat grinder while you save your skin for greener pastures? Honestly? Would you feel good about yourself?

The wast majority of migrants were not from Syria,  but North Africa, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Afghanistan.

The war in Libya (replacing Gadafi with Islamist ) opened the flood gates to mass migration.
Perhaps that was the objective for destroying Libya, destabilising the Middle East all along.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Poison Tree

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2016, 02:27:14 AM
Germany accepted over a million "asylum seekers" in 2015 of whom were 80% military age young men.
The statistics I could find were 68.5% men and 53% aged 18-34 for EU first time asylum seekers in 2015. Rather different from your figure, but still largely young and male.

Quote from: pr126 on August 20, 2016, 02:43:56 AM
Would you in similar circumstances leave your family to die in the meat grinder while you save your skin for greener pastures?
It would rather depend on what circumstances actually were. If they were in a local refugee camp--relatively safe but crappy with no prospect for improvement, no job opportunities and fear that we will still be in the camp for decades like at Dadaab--, knowing that the trip to Europe will be dangerous (maybe more so than staying in the camp) and figuring that a lone youngish male will have an easier time finding work to save money to either send back to the family in the camp or pay for them to come (be smuggled) in to Europe later, then I may well leave them behind and head to Europe solo. Or, if they were deep in government held territory, far from the front line and I was facing conscription into the regime army--propping up a dictator I dislike, for the sake of argument-- I may well flee and leave the family behind if I didn't think there would be reprisals against them.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Munch

Could you perhaps not just show the dead bloody corpses of people to prove a point, put it in a link instead and give a warning whats on it -_-
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

mauricio

Quote from: Munch on August 20, 2016, 12:16:19 PM
Could you perhaps not just show the dead bloody corpses of people to prove a point, put it in a link instead and give a warning whats on it -_-

I was trying to mimic the effect of the OP with the picture of the hurt child in order to point out what seemed to me like a contradictory stance of calling for empathy for some victims but dismissing the suffering of others. I usually find it cheap to do that, but i think it is appropriate in this instance to respond with the same style.

PickelledEggs

I got you, @Munch. Spoiled the images

Guys. Please. Try to spoiler that shit.

mauricio

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 20, 2016, 05:11:54 PM

And are you not going to spoil the video with the hurt child thumbnail? I think this reveals something interesting about emotions and subjective perception. I find that that image much more shocking than the corpses at the bataclan. Maybe because I have seen that bataclan picture various times and already became desensitized to it. But i think it is also because of the clarity and definition of the wounded body of the child that allow me to empathize more easily (also the facial expression). A a low resolution image of a pile of faceless corpses where no details of their suffering can be seen does not shock me much.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: mauricio on August 20, 2016, 06:25:12 PM
And are you not going to spoil the video with the hurt child thumbnail? I think this reveals something interesting about emotions and subjective perception. I find that that image much more shocking than the corpses at the bataclan. Maybe because I have seen that bataclan picture various times and already became desensitized to it. But i think it is also because of the clarity and definition of the wounded body of the child that allow me to empathize more easily (also the facial expression). A a low resolution image of a pile of faceless corpses where no details of their suffering can be seen does not shock me much.
The difference is that the image posted was contained many dead bodies laying in pools of their own blood. The video image only had blood on the boy and the boy was still alive.

mauricio

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 20, 2016, 06:32:22 PM
The difference is that the image posted was contained many dead bodies laying in pools of their own blood. The video image only had blood on the boy and the boy was still alive.

Yes i know you are stating the facts but....

How does that make you feel?

PickelledEggs

chill98

Quote from: Shiranu on August 19, 2016, 02:39:58 PM
Because it's easy to just view them as "the other", or some problem somewhere else in the world, and forget that they are human as well. 250,000+ dead in Syria since the Civil War, and we cry we are "suffering" when refugees flee to our countries.

Well... hate to say it but they are "other".  It is a problem somewhere else in the world that I don't really have any emotional investment in.  Nor am I inclined to invest in it now. 

Just saying...

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 20, 2016, 05:11:54 PM

thanks <3. what happened to the child is horrific, and I can only hope their pull through without psychological scaring. But the child being badly hurt and scarred is a far cry from showing the corpses of people shot and bleeding, thats the difference mauricio. I don't like seeing a child hurt, but I was just as much chilled when seeing the photos of that drowned child on the beach some months ago.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

The Skeletal Atheist

THAT IS AN OUTRAGE!!! WE SHOULD BOMB MORE AND INVADE BELGIUM TO MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN ANY MORE!!!

TAKING THEM IN? NO FUCK THAT, THAT KID IS A TERRORIST!!!
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on August 20, 2016, 11:43:14 PM

WE SHOULD BOMB MORE AND INVADE BELGIUM TO MAKE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN ANY MORE!!!

:welcome:

Come on in. Take a load off. Want a beer? Some fries? Chocolate?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.